• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Debate on hell

FineLinen

A ghastly horrid notion !

renderTimingPixel.png

And, as I say, I do in fact—and quite intentionally—use very strong language about certain teachings I find abominable.

I will not feign contrition on that score. Nor should I. My characterizations of the teaching of eternal conscious torment are perfectly apt and fair, and they are directed as much at me as at any other Christian.

I know how coarsened our consciences can become when trying to justify to ourselves what we think is required of us by faith and tradition. But, frankly, the burden of proof—and of a certain seemly reticence—falls quite on the other side of the room in this debate.

After all, why should anyone feel the need to apologize for denouncing an idea that looks fairly monstrous from any angle, one whose principal use down the centuries has arguably been the psychological abuse and terrorization of children?

Who, after all, is saying something more objectively atrocious, or more aggressively perverse?

The person who claims that every newborn infant enters the world justly under the threat of eternal dereliction, and that a good God imposes or permits the imposition of a state of eternal agony on finite, created rational beings as part of the mystery of his love or sovereignty or justice?

Or the person who observes that such ideas are cruel and barbarous and depraved?

Which of these two should really be, if not ashamed of his or her words, at least hesitant, ambivalent, and even a little penitent in uttering them?

And which has a better right to moral indignation at what the other has said? And, really, don’t these questions answer themselves?

A belief does not merit unconditional reverence just because it is old, nor should it be immune to being challenged in terms commensurate to the scandal it seems to pose.

And the belief that a God of infinite intellect, justice, love, and power would condemn rational beings to a state of perpetual torment, or would allow them to condemn themselves on account of their own delusion, pain, and anger, is probably worse than merely scandalous.

It may be the single most horrid notion the religious imagination has ever conceived, and the most irrational and spiritually corrosive picture of existence possible.

And anyone who thinks that such claims are too strong or caustic, while at the same time finding the traditional notion of a hell of everlasting suffering perfectly unobjectionable, needs to consider whether he or she is really thinking clearly about it at all. If anything, my rhetoric may be far, far too mild. -David B. Hart-

Last edited:

FineLinen

"But when a stronger than he shall come upon him and overcome him, he takes from him all his armor, and divides his spoils." -Luke 11:22 / Matt. 12:29

Christ is stronger than satan.

Christ overcomes satan.

Christ takes from him all his armor.

Christ will divide (take away his spoils.)

Each of these statements contradicts the creed that teaches…

Evil is stronger than good. That evil overcomes good in numberless cases. That satan’s power for evil is not taken away, but lasts for ever. That his spoils - the souls he has captured - are not divided & taken from him.

Our Lord’s victory over the powers of evil does not consist in shutting up any of their captives in hell, but in liberating all.

Skywalker

"But when a stronger than he shall come upon him and overcome him, he takes from him all his armor, and divides his spoils." -Luke 11:22 / Matt. 12:29

Christ is stronger than satan.

Christ overcomes satan.

Christ takes from him all his armor.

Christ will divide (take away his spoils.)

Each of these statements contradicts the creed that teaches…

Evil is stronger than good. That evil overcomes good in numberless cases. That satan’s power for evil is not taken away, but lasts for ever. That his spoils - the souls he has captured - are not divided & taken from him.

Our Lord’s victory over the powers of evil does not consist in shutting up any of their captives in hell, but in liberating all.

Jesus liberates those who accept what he did for them on the cross.

FineLinen

Jesus liberates those who accept what he did for them on the cross.

Sky: The Lord Jesus Christ, as the last Adam, specializes in quickening all dimensions of death into zao life.

The Divine equation is profound.

The identical mass made sinners in Adam 1 are the mass made righteous in the Last!

Adam 1 = polus made sinners:

Last Adam = polus made righteous.

Skywalker

Sky: The Lord Jesus Christ, as the last Adam, specializes in quickening all dimensions of death into zao life.

The Divine equation is profound.

The identical mass made sinners in Adam 1 are the mass made righteous in the Last!

Adam 1 = polus made sinners:

Last Adam = polus made righteous.

Those who accept the gift will me made righteous.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't believe that hell is a place of fire. I believe that the fire is a metaphor for someone being alone for all eternity, separated from God.

I believe the book of Revelation mentions a literal lake of fire that people will be tossed into.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Why do you believe you saw them? The Bible says not to communicate with the dead. The only spiritual being we are supposed to mingle with is God.

I believe a person who is reincarnated is not a familiar spirit. He is a living person and in my case family members.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe that hell is a sadistic tool used to black mail people into believing in the Christian god. Judaism doesn't really have a fiery hell like Christianity (so any translation quoting the Hebrew Bible in reference to Hell can be ignored as the Hebrew Sheol just means Grave).
Christianity depends on hell existing because otherwise, what was the point of Jesus dying? What did he save humanity from? Simply not existing? That isn't very terrifying. Eternal torture in hell? That is scary and therefore makes his salvation all the more required.
It is evil. No god could be all loving and also create a place of eternal torture. Besides, no crime could be large enough to deserve eternal torture as all crimes are finite. It is not a just or equal punishment. Trying to compare hell to a parent punishing their child or a court sentencing a person to death is a false equivalence and severely down plays the severity of any philosophy proposing eternal torture as a punishment for any crime or sin.

God creates hell to punish people who he created knowing they would go there? If god is all powerful, he could figure out any alternative system than hell. No loving parent or even court of law would sentence their children or inmates to anything near touching this, let alone an omni-benevolent being. That's my opinion on hell.

I believe that is a false belief that has no basis in scripture. However there is no doubt that some people may have used it as the tool you mentioned. It just is not what the Bible is saying about it. However what the Bible does say about it is bad enough for a non-believer.

I believe I fail to see your reasoning on that. The point of death was the resurrection.

I believe He saved humanity from sin provided they were willing to receive Him as Lord and Savior.

I believe not.

I believe God does not torture but the Devil will be happy to oblige and then there is just being there.

I believe that qualifies as blasphemy. God is loving enough to be just and people who go there are getting what they deserve.

I believe it is the highest crime of all, rejecting the salvation of God.

I believe that is not the main reason for Hell. Hell is for those who don't want to have to be good. To protect them from the good there has to be a place they can't escape into the good place.

Skywalker

I believe that is a false belief that has no basis in scripture. However there is no doubt that some people may have used it as the tool you mentioned. It just is not what the Bible is saying about it. However what the Bible does say about it is bad enough for a non-believer.

I believe I fail to see your reasoning on that. The point of death was the resurrection.

I believe He saved humanity from sin provided they were willing to receive Him as Lord and Savior.

I believe not.

I believe God does not torture but the Devil will be happy to oblige and then there is just being there.

I believe that qualifies as blasphemy. God is loving enough to be just and people who go there are getting what they deserve.

I believe that is not the main reason for Hell. Hell is for those who don't want to have to be good. To protect them from the good there has to be a place they can't escape into the good place.

The book of Revelation shows that universalism is false doctrine. Rob Bell: Populating Hell | Good Fight Ministries

“Let the evildoer still do evil, and the filthy still be filthy, and the righteous still do right, and the holy still be holy.” –Revelation 22:11

This is one of the most devastating declarations in Christ’s Revelation to the Universalist’s heresy. The wicked do not only go into Hell and the lake of fire; but, part of their judgment from God includes the fact that they are left in the wicked state they have chosen! This would point to the fact that they continue to store up wrath for themselves even after entering the lake of fire.

We read that during the tribulation period God will make Himself known though His judgment and the preaching of the everlasting Gospel. However, the scriptures state that in the last days lawlessness will increase (Matthew 24:10-12) and that the wicked will proceed from bad to worse (2 Timothy 3:1-7, 12-13). During the tribulation period we read that the wicked, even though they know God is the source of their judgments (Revelation 6:15-17), will so harden their hearts that they will refuse to repent and give God glory (Revelation 9:21,16:8, 11).

Skywalker

"Much of the Old Testament does not express a belief in a personal afterlife of reward or punishment:"

Then after a 300 year invasion by the Persians we see borrowings of their concepts including hell.

"Some scholars believe that many elements of Christian mythology, particularly its linear portrayal of time, originated with the Persian religion of Zoroastrianism.[29] Mary Boyce, an authority on Zoroastrianism, writes:
Zoroaster was thus the first to teach the doctrines of an individual judgment, Heaven and Hell, the future resurrection of the body, the general Last Judgment, and life everlasting for the reunited soul and body. These doctrines were to become familiar articles of faith to much of mankind, through borrowings by Judaism, Christianity and Islam.[30"
Christian mythology - Wikipedia

Mary Boyce is a serious scholar continuing to get degrees and awards into middle age. She studied in Iran with modern Zoroaster believers for one year and realized our current knowledge
(circa 1960) about their religious beliefs were wrong.

"Historical features of Zoroastrianism, such as messianism, judgment after death, heaven and hell, and free will may have influenced other religious and philosophical systems, including Second Temple Judaism, Gnosticism, Greek philosophy,[7] Christianity, Islam,[8] the Bahá'í Faith, and Buddhism.[9]"

One of their rulers who interacted with the Israelites, Cyrus was kind and allowed them to continue their religious practices. It's believed this warmed them to some of the concepts. Eventually Jewish prophets started having new prophecies about how they also have a judgment day and hell and so on...

Some of her book can be read here:

Zoroastrians

most of it can't be accessed but the chapter on belief in a world savior is interesting:
Zoroastrians

Genesis 1:1

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. People have believed in one God since the beginning of time. Abraham was born long before Zoroaster according to all historical dates of Zoroaster's birth. The Bible didn't get the belief of the devil from Zoroastrianism. Genesis 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, ye shall not surely die. You don't have to get very far in the Bible before seeing the devil introduced. Zoroastrian fire temples are not based off the Bible. Their celebration around fire actually has been around for a really long time.

Exodus 32:17-18

When Joshua heard the noise of the people as they shouted, he said to Moses, “There is a noise of war in the camp.” shouting for victory, or the sound of the cry of defeat, but the sound of singing that I hear.”

Skywalker

I believe not.

Romans 3:10-12

as it is written:

“None is righteous, no, not one;
no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one.”

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

FineLinen

Questions ?

1. We are required to love our enemies, may we not safely infer that God loves His enemies? (Matt. 5:44)

2. If God loves His enemies, will He punish them more than will be for their good?

3. Would endless punishment be for the good of any being?

4. Since God loves His friends, if He loves His enemies also, are not all mankind the objects of His love?

5. If God loves those only who love Him, what better is He than the sinner? (Luke 6:32-33)

6. Since "love thinks no evil," can God design the ultimate evil of a single soul? (1 Cor. 13:5)

7. Since "love works no ill," can God inflict, or cause, or allow to be inflicted, an endless ill? (Rom. 13:10)

8. Since we are forbidden to be overcome by evil, can we safely suppose that God will be overcome by evil? (Rom. 12:21)

9. Would not the infliction of endless punishment prove that God had been overcome by evil?

10. If man does wrong in returning evil for evil, would not God do wrong if He was to do the same?

11. Would not endless punishment be the return of evil for evil?

12. We are commanded "to overcome evil with good," may we not safely infer that God will do the same? (Rom. 12:21)

13. Would the infliction of endless punishment be overcoming evil with good?

FineLinen

On this earth there are more than seven billion people!

The most populous lands are China, India, and other parts of Asia, and in spite of missionaries from the West, actually more than half of all people on the earth have never so much as heard the only Name by which men can be saved - the name of Jesus Christ!

This means that billions of people here on this earth have lived, and died, without having known anything about God's provision of salvation - without saving knowledge - neither having heard the only Name by which men may be saved!

Now think what that means. If all unsaved are eternally lost, then more than half the people who have ever lived on this earth have been consigned to eternal hell without ever having been given so much as a chance to escape it!

What about the millions of people living now in the modern nations of Red China where the Gospel is suppressed?

Those people did not choose to be born into these godless nations. Are they lost forever because they never heard the true message of God's love in Christ?

Is this their only day of salvation? Are they eternally doomed when they die?

Will a just God and Saviour condemn to eternal damnation those people who died before the true Gospel was ever brought to them?

Is God about to "shut the door" of mercy in their face? -J. Preston Eby-

Skywalker

On this earth there are more than seven billion people!

The most populous lands are China, India, and other parts of Asia, and in spite of missionaries from the West, actually more than half of all people on the earth have never so much as heard the only Name by which men can be saved - the name of Jesus Christ!

This means that billions of people here on this earth have lived, and died, without having known anything about God's provision of salvation - without saving knowledge - neither having heard the only Name by which men may be saved!

Now think what that means. If all unsaved are eternally lost, then more than half the people who have ever lived on this earth have been consigned to eternal hell without ever having been given so much as a chance to escape it!

What about the millions of people living now in the modern nations of Red China where the Gospel is suppressed?

Those people did not choose to be born into these godless nations. Are they lost forever because they never heard the true message of God's love in Christ?

Is this their only day of salvation? Are they eternally doomed when they die?

Will a just God and Saviour condemn to eternal damnation those people who died before the true Gospel was ever brought to them?

Is God about to "shut the door" of mercy in their face? -J. Preston Eby-

The rapture will only happen once everyone hears the gospel.

Skywalker

I believe Heb. 9:27 does not say that reincarnation is not in the Bible and there is a verse in the Bible about reincarnation.

Verses need proper context in order to understand the true meaning. The context of Hebrews 9:27 means that people only live once and there is an eternity after that.