• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

debate:Christian Bible vs. Quran

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
All those who agree that the authors of the Christian [sic!] Bible did not write the Qur'an say: 'Aye' ...

The ayes have it: debate closed.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Certain scholars translated the Semetic text to English from Hebrew,Aramaic,and Greek.
Translating Semetic [sic!] text to English from Greek is certainly an inspired accomplshment.

The easiest way to is assume that Mark wrote Mark, Matthew wrote Matthew, Luke wrote Luke and so on.
And it's inspiring to see you standing firmly on a bedrock of easy assumptions.

By the way, which certain scholars did you have in mind?

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Certain scholars translated the Semetic text to English from Hebrew,Aramaic,and Greek. The easiest way to is to assume that Mark wrote Mark, Matthew wrote Matthew, Luke wrote Luke and so on.

Easiest is not always the best. And in this case, it definitely is not the best.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The ones mentioned in the explanatory introductions and prefaces of certain translations.

Another thing, the POV is reading from the perspective of Faith and not just knowledge.

So you have no scholars you ca point to? The vast majority of scholars no longer attributes the Gospels to the traditional authors. The reason being that there is no evidence that Mark, Matthew, Luke, or John wrote anything. That is a later tradition that really has no evidence supporting it.

Biblestudent_007

So you have no scholars you ca point to? The vast majority of scholars no longer attributes the Gospels to the traditional authors. The reason being that there is no evidence that Mark, Matthew, Luke, or John wrote anything. That is a later tradition that really has no evidence supporting it.

That is speaking of scholars in a modern age, not the age which Jesus lived.

Marble

Rolling Marble
Who or what authors wrote the Quran? . .
Muslims believe that the Quran was verbally revealed through the angel Jibrīl (Gabriel) from God to Muhammad gradually over a period of approximately twenty-three years beginning in 610 CE, when Muhammad was forty, and concluding in 632 CE, the year of his death.[1][12][13] Furthermore, Muslims believe that the Qur'an was precisely memorized, recited and exactly written down by Muhammad's companions, called Sahabas, after each revelation was dictated by Muhammad.
source

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The easiest way to is to assume that Mark wrote Mark, Matthew wrote Matthew, Luke wrote Luke and so on.
That seems like a really bad assumption.

Personally, when I'm confronted with three texts that agree word-for-word in many places, I assume that at the very least, the common passages were all written by the same person.

Also, as for Luke, I would think that it's a bad assumption to assume that it was written by an Apostle, seeing how the preamble of the Gospel of Luke implies that it was written by someone who was not an eyewitness of the deeds of Jesus.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Certain scholars translated the Semetic text to English from Hebrew,Aramaic,and Greek. The easiest way to is to assume that Mark wrote Mark, Matthew wrote Matthew, Luke wrote Luke and so on.

we dont really need to 'assume' who the writers were... there is enough internal evidence along with testimonials from the earliest christians as to who wrote what books.

:)

elmarna

To answer your question...
It is best to say GOD wrote the Quran. While Mohammad [peace be upon him] was illiterate & so many just recited -just like the early bible. many scribes wrote the valued verses down so the were not lost or changed.
Hope I helped you understand.

AmbiguousGuy

Personally, when I'm confronted with three texts that agree word-for-word in many places, I assume that at the very least, the common passages were all written by the same person.

Yep. And I think that single point is one of the most overlooked, ignored, frightening truths of the whole gospel business.

A single writer wrote much of Matthew, Mark and Luke, and I think it's quite possible that a single writer wrote all of them. To me, they look like rewrites of an original (fictional) work, and it's usually the original author who does the rewrites.