• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Debate a Muslim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazaly

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I don't know how this works, but here we go.

- You can post your objections (or questions) against Islam here – it's scripture, theology, philosophy, law, politics, spirituality, or history –, bring your best supportive arguments & a white flag (or a prayer mat) for future use.

Good luck!

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
I already have a prayer mat but I'm a Kemetic Pagan so I'll just sit and watch this :D

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
I like islam :blush:

But i have a question, when did you understood that islam was the right path for you?
Do you pray 5 times a day or do you sometimes skip some prayers?
What do you think is easy about islam?
What do you think is hard about islam?
Do you believe all sahih hadiths is correct?

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
You can post your objections (or questions) against Islam here – it's scripture, theology, philosophy, law, politics, spirituality, or history –, bring your best supportive arguments & a white flag (or a prayer mat) for future use.
Why is belief so important? I understand that Zakat and various practices are helpful, but I don't see the reason why people must believe. People around the globe do good things, and we can learn to live better. What's so important about believing in invisible things?

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I have a couple of objections, and they're rather deep ones - I don't think I have too many problems with the theology. I'm tempted to read the Quran some day even though I doubt it'd convert me, just make me understand more. Okay, I'll list my objections:

- The Bush Jr. administration was pretty hard on people of your faith, I think. I think it's made some Muslims hate us Americans, when I feel there may be a certain point where me and them might be able to reach an understanding, and say that American politicians can be rather silly, and just shake our heads. You haven't said anything bad about Americans on here. But I've kind of seen some anti-American rhetoric from others of your faith. I just wanted to say, that if it's any reassurance, not all of us are the enemy. On the other hand, I'm a little cautious sometimes just because if there's ever a thread or issue where I have to ally with a poster, it's better to ally with people who don't dislike me. So I guess what I'm saying is, as far as this forum goes, I'm more prone to support the Muslims in cases where they understand that politicians can be silly, and that I'm not the enemy as an American. So I guess you can say I'm still a little insecure about the subject, which is why I don't always maintain a real close emotional closeness with Islam and Muslims.

-The other thing is more personal to me, and it's that any religion I follow has to be transgender friendly. Sometimes I feel that some faiths following the Abrahamic God aren't. So that's another reason why if I keep my distance, that's why I sometimes do so.

But as for objections to the ideology, the theology, philosophy, I have nothing yet.

Also, if this subject is getting a bit too personal, I really unloaded my objections here, you can skip answering it, if it'd make you feel more comfortable not to do so.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
As-salamu alaykum.

I've always found Suraj Al-Hijurat-13 intriguing. No debate here -- just wanted to voice my appreciation.

Shalom and welcome.

danieldemol

Premium Member

- You can post your objections (or questions) against Islam here – it's scripture, theology, philosophy, law, politics, spirituality, or history –, bring your best supportive arguments & a white flag (or a prayer mat) for future use.

Good luck!
I don't know enough about your own personal interpretation of Islam to know if I want to debate you, so let's start with some basics.

1. Do you believe in blasphemy laws?
2. Do you believe in apostasy laws?
3. Do you believe that natural selection occurs?

Ghazaly

I like islam :blush:
- What do you believe? No objections?
But i have a question, when did you understood that islam was the right path for you?
- Once I had spiritual connections with Allah & love for His Prophet (pbuh), & when I met my masters.
Do you pray 5 times a day or do you sometimes skip some prayers?
- Prayer is an obligation towards Allah. Last thing I can do is skip prayer.
What do you think is easy about islam?
- Islam is easy, once you let go of your ego & submit to Allah. 'Taysir' - Ease is one of the 5 maxims of Sharia.
What do you think is hard about islam?
- Letting go of your ego.
Do you believe all sahih hadiths is correct?
- Sahih means sound. Sahih Hadith has a very high likelihood of being true.

- I can elaborate in any of the above points if you wish.

Starlight

- What do you believe? No objections?

- Once I had spiritual connections with Allah & love for His Prophet (pbuh), & when I met my masters.

- Prayer is an obligation towards Allah. Last thing I can do is skip prayer.

- Islam is easy, once you let go of your ego & submit to Allah. 'Taysir' - Ease is one of the 5 maxims of Sharia.

- Letting go of your ego.

- Sahih means sound. Sahih Hadith has a very high likelihood of being true.

- I can elaborate in any of the above points if you wish.
Thanks for answers

So you believe the hadiths about Aisha's age when prophet Muhammad constumated the marriage is true?

Is your masters sufi?

Yes letting go of ego is very hard

AlexanderG

Thanks for the invitation to dialogue! Here are some things I've wondered about:

1. Why would you believe something that can't be reliably demonstrated to be real? Isn't it better to only believe things once they have been shown to correspond to reality, and not before?

2. I see a lot of Muslim cultures around the world threatening violence against Muslims who deconvert or question the faith. Do you think true ideas need protection against questioning, or usually do only false ideas need this shield? When we see these restrictions used historically to protect the false claims of cults, other religions, authoritarian rulers, and the claims of con artists, what does this tell us about Islam's claims?

3. Do you think that a book should be considered true because it claims that it is true? If so, can you see how this form of circular reasoning can be used to equally justify any belief or text, including logically contradictory claims?

Last edited:

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Why do so many Muslims seem to be very eager to debate? Recently I was in San Diego and was walking through Balboa Park. There were lots of street vendors and performers, as well as a booth promoting Christianity and one promoting Islam. The Christians were pretty quiet and just handed out pamphlets and Bibles if anyone would ask for them. But the Muslims were very different. They were quite polite and not really confrontational, but wow did they want to debate! Anyone who would engage them instantly drew at least three Muslims who seemed like they were just waiting for such an opportunity.

Is there some teaching or something in Islam that encourages that sort of thing?

Starlight

Why do so many Muslims seem to be very eager to debate? Recently I was in San Diego and was walking through Balboa Park. There were lots of street vendors and performers, as well as a booth promoting Christianity and one promoting Islam. The Christians were pretty quiet and just handed out pamphlets and Bibles if anyone would ask for them. But the Muslims were very different. They were quite polite and not really confrontational, but wow did they want to debate! Anyone who would engage them instantly drew at least three Muslims who seemed like they were just waiting for such an opportunity.

Is there some teaching or something in Islam that encourages that sort of thing?
Muslims believe they get rewarded in heaven (paradise) of Allah if they convert people to Islam

It is much more effective to convert people if you debate people

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Good luck!

What do you believe happens when you die?
Are you judged, do you go to heaven? Is their a time of penance?
What happens to non-Muslims when they die?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Muslims believe they get rewarded in heaven (paradise) of Allah if they convert people to Islam
Sure, and Christians believe that sort of thing as well, but they go about it differently.

It is much more effective to convert people if you debate people
I don't know if that's true, but is that really all there is to it? The Muslims in the park specifically said to people, "Let's debate", and I've seen that sort of thing before. That's why I'm wondering if there's a teaching in Islam that specifically encourages Muslims to debate non-believers.

Ghazaly

- This is so confusing. Are the quotations in this Forum terrible or do I just need to get the hang of it? I keep losing my texts!

I don't know enough about your own personal interpretation of Islam to know if I want to debate you, so let's start with some basics.
- I'm a traditional Muslim. I follow the Maliki madhhab of fiqh (school of jurisprudence), the Ashaari madhhab of aqeeda (school of theology), & the Junaidi madhhab of tasawwuf (school of sufism/spirituality).

1. Do you believe in blasphemy laws?
2. Do you believe in apostasy laws?
- You're tickling my fancy. God yes.

3. Do you believe that natural selection occurs?
- You're a Godsend. Go on.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Well... I don't really have any problems with Islam per se, though I'm very ignorant of Islam altogether. Seems you come in looking for some kind of fight or conflict, though. What is the intended goal of this thread?

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe

Good luck!

Do you think that Islam necessarily prescribes gender roles?

For instance, does a man always have the last word in family discussions, and is womens’ testimony worth less than a man’s?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Good luck!

I don't know enough about Islam to comment against it's theology. I don't agree with abrahamic teachings so if I do read the Quran it would be with some bias

Status
Not open for further replies.