• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death

Salty Booger

Royal Crown Cola (RC)
Is death to be feared or accepted? My belief is that it is the same as before I was alive (born). The only thing I see standing in the way is the prospect of missing life and what will follow when I am gone, like everyone else going to the amusement park and leaving me at home.

Have you reached any conclusions or found some solace in the idea of death?

pexels-brett-sayles-3608427.jpg

Photo by Brett Sayles from Pexels

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Feared? no.

I want to hang around in my current body as long as I can (with sound mind and decently functioning body, of course).

But for me death is a "finally I'll know" adventure when it comes.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is death to be feared or accepted? My belief is that it is the same as before I was alive (born). The only thing I see standing in the way is the prospect of missing life and what will follow when I am gone, like everyone one else going to the amusement park and leaving me at home.

View attachment 45348
Photo by Brett Sayles from Pexels

Yes. It's kind of like before I had good vision years ago. I also used to be afraid of the dark-the unknown. I still get a bit jumpy even though I know where I am at and what's around me when I cut on the light. Our body reacts to fear of the unknown and it takes awhile to get accustomed to that fear (like our eyes getting accustomed to the dark) and, in this analogy, it's a life long process with age. Then I thought about this fear, which is completely justified, when I started to loose my sight (before diagnosis).

I never hear the blind say they are afraid of the dark in a place they know they are at and know where everything is. They may be startled if something is unfamiliar to them but not afraid of the dark itself. In that respect, they don't have to be afraid over things they cannot see. On the other end, they cannot take that for granted for the things that can happen even in the dark.

So it's the same. I can't say I'm not afraid because I don't know what will happen. I'm still in the dark. Though I've been on earth for so many years that I can't say I'm in panic mode of the idea of death. Since we've always lived in the dark we just got to accept the actual event may be justified fear not the concept of it.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Is death to be feared or accepted?

Fear death? No, I don’t fear it. I worry about what and whom I leave behind. But that is attachment and a cause of suffering. Thinking of that at the time of death can cause one to return to the very thing you want to leave behind. I look forward to leaving this life and hopefully achieving moksha. What could possibly be better than finally leaving the constraints of the material world, spending eternity knowing and understanding reality and our true nature as Brahman?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The death of those closest to me, does though.

That bothers me but I wonder if I’m grieving for me or for the other person or pet. I’m pretty good at reminding other people and quoting verses from the Bhagavad Gita, and the Gospels about not mourning for that which can’t die (the soul), and unnecessarily mourning for what’s impermanent (the body). But I talk a good game... I talk the talk but don’t walk the walk, i.e. I cry uncontrollably when my animals die. People not so much, but animals are so innocent and happy.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That bothers me but I wonder if I’m grieving for me or for the other person or pet. I’m pretty good at reminding other people and quoting verses from the Bhagavad Gita, and the Gospels about not mourning for that which can’t die (the soul), and unnecessarily mourning for what’s impermanent (the body). But I talk a good game... I talk the talk but don’t walk the walk, i.e. I cry uncontrollably when my animals die. People not so much, but animals are so innocent and happy.

I find that I am grieving for their loss, because I understand the depth of their care for me, and despite it's temporariness, I know how painful the loss of loved one can be.

Edit: Inconsolable emotion (ie crying uncontrollably), is just part of the human condition. We just have to ride the wave, stopping it only harms the process.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I find that I am grieving for their loss, because I understand the depth of their care for me, and despite it's temporariness, I know how painful the loss of loved one can be.

Yeah, that’s the other way of looking at, if I understand correctly. How they would feel about losing me. I’ve had opportunities and reasons to check out but what has stopped me is that “attachment” I have in how my dogs, who are elderly and not well, would be taken care of. I made a commitment to them, and to my husband (he couldn’t survive on his own), so, it’s my dharma to stick around. There were times I should be dead by outside forces, like that tractor trailer potentially t-boning me but it wasn’t time.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My only concern is the manner of death. Hopefully with as little pain as possible.

Otherwise, if death means non-existence then I won't be around to worry about it. If it means something, well, at least it'll be interesting.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Life is addictive and it always ends up killing you.

We are star stuff, no truer cliché has ever been spoken

The first law of thermodynamics tells me that when i am dead my atoms will continue, some will inevitably be used to build other life, in this way we are all made up of dead people. And when this world is gone some of those atoms will find their way to help form new stars, shining life giving sunlight on new planets where life my flourish.

Or atoms could end up in tree, a rock, a grain of sand, or as something I don't want to describe on RF.

Whatever, the atoms that make me will go on for ever,. The thoughts that make me end.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
My belief in reincarnation is inseparable from my thoughts, feelings, and reactions on death. I have confidence I've been there before, and of course, know I will be there again(and if I'm wrong, I won't know the difference, so it won't hurt a damn thing).

Sometimes when I read something about Yama, I feel a bit of tenderness. Death has come for me before, and will do so again. What will I tell him when he comes next time? What stories will we share? I do not think I'll fear him this time, but rather greet him as an old friend....

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
My belief in reincarnation is inseparable from my thoughts, feelings, and reactions on death. I have confidence I've been there before, and of course, know I will be there again(and if I'm wrong, I won't know the difference, so it won't hurt a damn thing).

Sometimes when I read something about Yama, I feel a bit of tenderness. Death has come for me before, and will do so again. What will I tell him when he comes next time? What stories will we share? I do not think I'll fear him this time, but rather greet him as an old friend....

While I have been in near death accidents, or certainly situations that I probably should have died, but did not, I have never actually stood at Death's door. But I already feel that my Spirit has died, and was reborn anew, which was enough to placate my fear of Death, and renew my Strength to keep moving forward confidently in life. The only thing that keeps me from greeting Death as a friend, are the things and people that I still want to enjoy the company of in the Now (worldly attachments).

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
You had me until the end sentence. You see, I am not actually sure this is true, it very well could be, but is it?

Since i put faith in religious ideas to one side I have never had any reason to think otherwise.