• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death

Do you fear death?

• Yes

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 85.7%

• Total voters

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Do you fear death? If so, for what reasons? If not, what circumstances in life led you to allay this fear?
I do not fear death; that has not always been the case. On the other hand, I do fear how I will shake off this mortal coil (YmirGF sums up my position most excellently), although I do have plans just in case it gets too drawn out or two painful (and I've recently learned how to live with quite a lot of pain, and so know full well where my own boundary lies)...

The experiences I have had in life lead me to know that we cannot know for certain whether or not there is any continuation of our "selves" beyond death...but based on my experiences, I hope and believe there is, but if there is not, "I" will not be here/there to be concerned about it...

There is still much I wish to do and experience in this life, things I want and some that I feel I need to do, so I am hoping to put off my dirt dance for quite some time...

Altfish

Veteran Member
No, I don't fear death; I don't want it to happen but it is the one big downside of having life.

If I hadn't been born, I would not have death to look forward to. I don't remember anything before my birth, so I assume death will be similar...except hopefully my off-spring will talk fondly of me occasionally.

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
No, i can't possibly fear death, after such a blessed and loving death experience i had in 1982,
life is somewhat more of a struggle particularly after my TBI and the anosmia, diplopia and
balance disturbance that has resulted ....
however every day brings some joy and wonder to lift me......

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't fear death, I fear unwanted loss. I'd wager the same is true of most other folks. Death, in many cases, is not an unwanted loss.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
The Day of the Dead ends today, and given this season and its associations with death, I feel its an appropriate time to discuss what many may consider at taboo subject. Death. (For the purposes of this thread, I am defining death as the expiration of the body you currently inhabit in this temporal or perceived reality.)

Do you fear death? If so, for what reasons? If not, what circumstances in life led you to allay this fear?

Finding answers about this taboo subject is what brought me to a new appreciation of the Bible. Having been raised with the church's teaching of an immortal soul, a mountain of questions were buzzing around in my head when my father died suddenly without warning. My heart was screaming out to God....WHY??? This was a good man who loved and cared for his family....the church had no satisfying answers, and I didn't know enough about the Bible to find them myself. I knew there had to be answers in there because I knew God existed. I just wanted to understand.

I was angry that God could take a good family man and leave the rotten ones still alive....it made no sense to me that a loving God would leave a family devastated because 'he wanted another angel in heaven'.....or because 'only the good die young'. o_O The platitudes just made me more angry. I wanted answers that would fill that awful void and make the pain go away.

When JW's came to my door, I normally just sent them on their way, but because I was mad at God I asked them (sarcastically) "where are the dead?" Imagining that they would just do what all the others churches had done...tell me "they go to heaven to be with the Lord"....unless they were wicked and God sent them to hell".:shrug: That just made no sense to me at all.

I said, "if the good go to heaven, do they suffer the same anguish of separation that we do?" "How can heaven be a happy place if they are grieving for us like we are grieving for them?"
They assured me that the Bible could answer all my questions and turned to a scripture that I will never forget....Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10 which says.....

"5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten......10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going."

I had never seen anything like that in the Bible before. So I pointed out that this was just the OT....what about the NT and what Jesus taught?

They showed me John 11:11-14......."11 After he said these things, he added: “Lazʹa·rus our friend has fallen asleep, but I am traveling there to awaken him.” 12 The disciples then said to him: “Lord, if he is sleeping, he will get well.” 13 Jesus, however, had spoken about his death. But they imagined he was speaking about taking rest in sleep. 14 Then Jesus said to them plainly: “Lazʹa·rus has died"

Where did Jesus say Lazarus was? Not in heaven.....he was "sleeping", just as it says in Ecclesiastes....he was in an unconscious state in his tomb....not capable of thinking or planning anything. Jesus said he was going to wake him up.

This was such a new thought to me, but I had to admit that it made me feel comforted somehow. I had imagined my father being without us and being in pain like we were at the separation...we had no time to say goodbye. One minute he was with us and the next moment, he was gone. There was no time to prepare and so much left unsaid. But now, my heart started to process this new thought. If my father was not conscious, then he was in no anguish at all. If he was sleeping, then we carried all the pain, but he was not aware of it. I could deal with that because I had family support...we were all going through it together and we survived....it was a slow process, but time makes it more tolerable.

Do I fear death? Do I fear going to sleep? No.....sometimes it is a welcome relief for many....especially those who suffer a lingering death. But those asleep have to awaken. Jesus promised to do just that once he cleaned up the earth and assumed his role as King.

He said in John 5:28-29....."28 Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment"

This is Jesus calling "all" in their graves to come out of them. He does not call the righteous from heaven, nor does he call the unrighteousness from any place of punishment....but he calls them all from their resting place, wherever that may be....to resume their lives on earth. Some will already be believers and some will need an education because of never hearing Christ's message.

All the resurrections performed in the Bible were giving these loved ones back to their families.

This is what I look forward to......a wonderful reunion with all those I have lost, right here on earth where God put us in the first place.

And if I lose my own life before the kingdom comes, time will cease to exist for me and when I awaken, it will be just as if I closed my eyes only a moment ago.

So my entire view of death changed and now I have no fear at all.....and actually see it as sort of journeying to the same destination as my family in a large train, with some in the sleeping compartment and some seated in the lead carriages.....there is plenty of room on the train, and all are welcome to come aboard.
:hugehug:

Sorry for the length of this, but it is my story.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Life on this ball of rock is fleeting, this particularly life is content with the knowledge it is made of star stuff and that every atom of my body will in some way be recycled for use in what may become other life, or not.

MrMrdevincamus

Voice Of The Martyrs Supporter
I voted no. I agree with ChristineM, life is very, very short, and we are made from elements forged from second generation stars spreading their 'ashes' into space. I will add from dust thou are and to dust thou shall return... Also I like Quint don't fear dying, I fear not being able to do more human stuff. As a person of faith our holy book does say heaven will be here on earth so maybe I wont be stuck with a pair of bird wings and have to strum one of those harps....just kidding Jesus, I love you.

; {>

MrMrdevincamus

Finding answers about this taboo subject is what brought me to a new appreciation of the Bible. Having been raised with the church's teaching of an immortal soul, a mountain of questions were buzzing around in my head when my father died suddenly without warning. My heart was screaming out to God....WHY??? This was a good man who loved and cared for his family....the church had no satisfying answers, and I didn't know enough about the Bible to find them myself. I knew there had to be answers in there because I knew God existed. I just wanted to understand.

I was angry that God could take a good family man and leave the rotten ones still alive....it made no sense to me that a loving God would leave a family devastated because 'he wanted another angel in heaven'.....or because 'only the good die young'. o_O The platitudes just made me more angry. I wanted answers that would fill that awful void and make the pain go away.

When JW's came to my door, I normally just sent them on their way, but because I was mad at God I asked them (sarcastically) "where are the dead?" Imagining that they would just do what all the others churches had done...tell me "they go to heaven to be with the Lord"....unless they were wicked and God sent them to hell".:shrug: That just made no sense to me at all.

I said, "if the good go to heaven, do they suffer the same anguish of separation that we do?" "How can heaven be a happy place if they are grieving for us like we are grieving for them?"
They assured me that the Bible could answer all my questions and turned to a scripture that I will never forget....Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10 which says.....

"5 For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing at all, nor do they have any more reward, because all memory of them is forgotten......10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do with all your might, for there is no work nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom in the Grave, where you are going."

I had never seen anything like that in the Bible before. So I pointed out that this was just the OT....what about the NT and what Jesus taught?

They showed me John 11:11-14......."11 After he said these things, he added: “Lazʹa·rus our friend has fallen asleep, but I am traveling there to awaken him.” 12 The disciples then said to him: “Lord, if he is sleeping, he will get well.” 13 Jesus, however, had spoken about his death. But they imagined he was speaking about taking rest in sleep. 14 Then Jesus said to them plainly: “Lazʹa·rus has died"

Where did Jesus say Lazarus was? Not in heaven.....he was "sleeping", just as it says in Ecclesiastes....he was in an unconscious state in his tomb....not capable of thinking or planning anything. Jesus said he was going to wake him up.

This was such a new thought to me, but I had to admit that it made me feel comforted somehow. I had imagined my father being without us and being in pain like we were at the separation...we had no time to say goodbye. One minute he was with us and the next moment, he was gone. There was no time to prepare and so much left unsaid. But now, my heart started to process this new thought. If my father was not conscious, then he was in no anguish at all. If he was sleeping, then we carried all the pain, but he was not aware of it. I could deal with that because I had family support...we were all going through it together and we survived....it was a slow process, but time makes it more tolerable.

Do I fear death? Do I fear going to sleep? No.....sometimes it is a welcome relief for many....especially those who suffer a lingering death. But those asleep have to awaken. Jesus promised to do just that once he cleaned up the earth and assumed his role as King.

He said in John 5:28-29....."28 Do not be amazed at this, for the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice 29 and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, and those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment"

This is Jesus calling "all" in their graves to come out of them. He does not call the righteous from heaven, nor does he call the unrighteousness from any place of punishment....but he calls them all from their resting place, wherever that may be....to resume their lives on earth. Some will already be believers and some will need an education because of never hearing Christ's message.

All the resurrections performed in the Bible were giving these loved ones back to their families.

This is what I look forward to......a wonderful reunion with all those I have lost, right here on earth where God put us in the first place.

And if I lose my own life before the kingdom comes, time will cease to exist for me and when I awaken, it will be just as if I closed my eyes only a moment ago.

So my entire view of death changed and now I have no fear at all.....and actually see it as sort of journeying to the same destination as my family in a large train, with some in the sleeping compartment and some seated in the lead carriages.....there is plenty of room on the train, and all are welcome to come aboard.
:hugehug:

Sorry for the length of this, but it is my story.

Deejee beautiful reply. And finally I have found someone that is more wordy than I! ; {>

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
No fear of death (ironic cause I have panic attacks). I feel if it's my time God has deemed it my time. Like some of you I wish to accomplish things I wanted to accomplish. I realize I wont realize I will do everything I want to do or get what I want. I am content. I just want to live as a decent person.

Silverscale derg

The Day of the Dead ends today, and given this season and its associations with death, I feel its an appropriate time to discuss what many may consider at taboo subject. Death. (For the purposes of this thread, I am defining death as the expiration of the body you currently inhabit in this temporal or perceived reality.)

I myself have no fear of death so long as my death isn't one where i'm killed for sport yet again like has happened in the past. I as a dragon have experienced being stabbed in the heart while I slept a few times. Sure you may think it's painless but it takes 7 or so seconds to bleed out and that hurts. I have seen what they did to my body, they took my head and my bedding which made me upset. I wouldn't mind if my death fed people but if it's for sport then that's a way I don't want to die

Kapalika

Premium Member
I don't fully believe all the votes saying no. Most people faced with death, they might not fear the abstract concept but we have a natural aversion to death either our own or stagnant corpses.

Me personally, I'm afraid of dead things, generally. My own death, thinking about it, not so much fear as a range of other emotions. True fear, is more of pain for me. I'm deathly afraid of intense pain. I don't know if I'm more sensitive to sensations than others but everything always feels intense to me and pain is always freaking unbearable if it's truly being harmed. The only times it's not been for me is when I went into shock or was too concerned with surviving where more serious injury or even death was a real possibility. That aversion to death kicked in.

Maybe fear is the word for that, I don't know. But I think our aversion is on some level a type of fear of death. Otherwise we wouldn't work to stay alive.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

I voted no,if you manage to live long enough you know eventually you will die,your brain will hopefully give you the best check out trip it can and if you want to be, you will be in elysium.

Dantedeven

Fear of death is suffering for something irrelevant.
Death is unavoidable, unpredictable but everyone will face it.
Noone knows what will happen after, during.
We only know what happens before death.

But i do not fear my own death.
I fear the death of others more.
Those that i love.
It is the thing i fear the most.
But still irrelevant until it is not.

Tmac

Fear of death is suffering for something irrelevant.
Death is unavoidable, unpredictable but everyone will face it.
Noone knows what will happen after, during.
We only know what happens before death.

But i do not fear my own death.
I fear the death of others more.
Those that i love.
It is the thing i fear the most.
But still irrelevant until it is not.

Is not death, death? It must mean something else when it visits those you love? Do you not carry those you love within?

atanu

Premium Member
I have almost same answer as Kapalika. I voted yes.

I have experience that I am not the body.

Yet I do not tolerate pain at all. When in pain I associate with the body more intensely than many others who seem to tolerate pain better than me. I have apprehensions about bodily pain associated with so called death.

Last edited:

MrMrdevincamus

Consider and hear me, O LORD my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death; ~

Psalms 13:3

; {>

MrMrdevincamus

I myself have no fear of death so long as my death isn't one where i'm killed for sport yet again like has happened in the past. I as a dragon have experienced being stabbed in the heart while I slept a few times. Sure you may think it's painless but it takes 7 or so seconds to bleed out and that hurts. I have seen what they did to my body, they took my head and my bedding which made me upset. I wouldn't mind if my death fed people but if it's for sport then that's a way I don't want to die

Would dragon steaks cook themselves? Btw what is your flight plan for the next few weeks? (lol, all the latter was just in fun, i'm just injecting a little levity here)....

; {>