• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death

Do you fear death?

• Yes

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 30 85.7%

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The Day of the Dead ends today, and given this season and its associations with death, I feel its an appropriate time to discuss what many may consider at taboo subject. Death. (For the purposes of this thread, I am defining death as the expiration of the body you currently inhabit in this temporal or perceived reality.)

Do you fear death? If so, for what reasons? If not, what circumstances in life led you to allay this fear?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I don't fear death. In fact, I faced death when I had my heart attack.

But I'd be lying, if I said I wasn't a bit apprehensive about the unknown.

Its funny when i think about it, I probably fear living more than death because I don't know what another life will be manifested as, or under what circumstances.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Life is as hard as it is fun. Life is as tiring as it is fulfilling. Death is a long rest. I'm not sure what caused me to feel this way but I have always felt this way. I remember going to funerals and wondering why people were so upset at death. For me the person escaped all the negative stuff that happens in life and at the time I believed they went to an afterlife. I no longer believe in the afterlife but still feel the same about the negative stuff.

Hildeburh

No, I don't fear death though the path to that event can be difficult. I don't fear what follows, it is my hope that I will join my ancestors but I am also OK with their being no afterlife.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The Day of the Dead ends today, and given this season and its associations with death, I feel its an appropriate time to discuss what many may consider at taboo subject. Death. (For the purposes of this thread, I am defining death as the expiration of the body you currently inhabit in this temporal or perceived reality.)

Do you fear death? If so, for what reasons? If not, what circumstances in life led you to allay this fear?

I don't fear death. For me it will be like going to sleep at night. I will dream............

“The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say”

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

falling asleep could lead to waking up in my dream

Luke 9:58
Jesus replied, “Foxes have dens and birds have nests, but the Son of Man has no place to lay his head.”

“Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was myself. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man.” Zhuangzi, The Butterfly as Companion: Meditations on the First Three Chapters of the Chuang-Tzu

Last edited:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Having a wife that communicates with those that have passed has left me a sense of ease at the passing itself.

Tmac

One needs an imagination to experience fear and especially with this topic..

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
One needs an imagination to experience fear and especially with this topic..

Are you waiting for someone to ask you to expand on this premise, or is this all you will be contributing to this topic?

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
I used to but I then had a dream where I talked to Death and I don’t fear her anymore.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, I fear death at this moment. If I die now my younger grandson would not remember me (he is six year old). It will deprive me of seeing the spouse of my grand daughter. It will also deprive me of seeing my grandchildren grow. I won't mind death after say another six or eight year. At least, he would remember me and my love for him once in a while. Other than that, death is a natural phenomenon and will happen to all. I do not fear that. My father died comparatively early (61), he missed seeing many things.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Why fear the inevitable that must come to pass? What difference is there really between the end of "I" in a dream and the end of "I" in death? In either one, "I" becomes no more. Even over the course of life, the "I" of yesteryears is no more, and the "I" of today will cease to be.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm not afraid of death, far from it, though as I continue the aging process, I am concerned about a long and lingering illness. I'd much rather be a bug on the windshield of life.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Life is as hard as it is fun. Life is as tiring as it is fulfilling. Death is a long rest. I'm not sure what caused me to feel this way but I have always felt this way. I remember going to funerals and wondering why people were so upset at death. For me the person escaped all the negative stuff that happens in life and at the time I believed they went to an afterlife. I no longer believe in the afterlife but still feel the same about the negative stuff.

I feel about the same.

Tmac

Are you waiting for someone to ask you to expand on this premise, or is this all you will be contributing to this topic?

I don't think so, I thought it is obvious that fear is experienced when we try to imagine what X would be like, it's just a game we've learned to play. Are you as attentive to other post or is there something particular about my post that you find interesting?

Laika

Premium Member
Voted Yes. Having been plagued with violent and suicidal thoughts whilst I've had depression, I do fear death and have learned to place much more value on life and living. Up to a point, I think it makes me a better person because it can put life in perspective and value the moment more. If you are going to chose one thing to fear, death is probably one of the most reasonable.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think so, I thought it is obvious that fear is experienced when we try to imagine what X would be like, it's just a game we've learned to play. Are you as attentive to other post or is there something particular about my post that you find interesting?

If you read through the responses here, you'll find that you are the only one who responded without answering the questions posed in the OP.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Death is a transition. I'm afraid of how I will die. I have a feeling it will be either painful or at a young age.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
i believe in reincarnation. we die and we rebirth someone new.

Thank you for sharing what you believe, but you didn't really answer the questions asked in the OP. Do you fear death?