• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death,Why is it so Scary?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Actually 'we' were not dead before we were born. Death is something that happens to a person. Before a child is conceived, he is not 'there.'
There's no difference or distinction from comparing pre birth with post death. It's the same state involving 'non living' matter and that includes our atomic makeup.

Every aspect of our being is already ancient to begin with.

Sure there's no way of knowing if we were alive prior, but givin the odds are certainly set at 1% it already proves life is guaranteed to resurface at some point and once those odds and conditions align again, life erupts and the light come on again. There's no reason to think otherwise.

That's why I'm sure we were dead beforehand as we will be afterwards once again.

Psalm23

I simply meant Religion

Personally, I agree. Whether people wanna call him God or something, there's far toooooooooo much evidence for an existence of God/Higher power

Again, I agree with you but, to which "God"? I understand there's only 1 and all others are false but, personally, I am inclined to believe that Allah and Islam is the true God and religion. While you clearly don't and that's completely fine but, that's what scares me.

You can pray to God and ask which God he is. God knows everything and loves you. :relaxed::twohearts:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Well... My beliefs I guess are that death is it. Nothing after that. Finito.

With that in mind, I wouldn't say I'm afraid to die, but I will do everything in my power to fight against my own end. It's going to happen some day, and it's a natural process that everyone must face, but I'm not looking to hasten that process by any means. :D I enjoy living!
Before I understood the Bible by God's undeserved kindness, I was very afraid to die. I thought like you do, that there was nothing. After all, why live only to die? But now I know that death is like sleep, and God can wake us up.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I'm not looking forward to death, even if I don't know I'm dead. But...
Because of the world scene today, I find those of us who are 'alive' at the soon coming 'time or separating ' on Earth as found at Matthew 25:31-33,37 can look forward to staying alive.
When we are dead we don't know we are dead, but of course while alive we know we are alive.
The dead can be awakened from death's deep sleep, but those of us who are still alive at Jesus' coming glory time can remain alive and stay alive to see calendar Day One of Jesus' coming millennial reign over Earth.
So, to me we would want to fear 'displeasing' God so that those of us still alive can look forward to Not seeing ' enemy death ' according to 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8

YoursTrue

I simply meant Religion

Personally, I agree. Whether people wanna call him God or something, there's far toooooooooo much evidence for an existence of God/Higher power

Again, I agree with you but, to which "God"? I understand there's only 1 and all others are false but, personally, I am inclined to believe that Allah and Islam is the true God and religion. While you clearly don't and that's completely fine but, that's what scares me.
Yes I am convinced that there is only one true God and HE sets the way to worship him. Have you prayed for wisdom to know Him?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
You've raised some good points here that would naturally lead to the subject of euthanasia....

It hurts. We've never done it before. Yet, some say that we were dead before we were born.
If non-existence = death then I guess so. Before our parents' DNA got mingled...we did not exist. Just as Adam did not exist before God created him.

50 year olds look at the feeble, and say that they'd rather die than go on (crippled, blind, etc). But when they reach 60, they realize that life is still worth living even with some debilities.

As one ages still more, there is little to look forward to except long term care nursing ($25,000/month), often with nurses who don't clean poop and pee for 24 hours, don't respond to nurse call buttons. At that point, death is not such a disappointment, land it is the inevitable end.
Having gone through most of those phases, I can identify....and having had a loved one in care I have experienced what that means as well......

But it is clear that the Bible is correct....we were never meant to die and leave, or lose loved ones. We have no 'program' for death. Nothing can sooth the pain of a loss, that some never get over. It is a pain that goes on stabbing the heart year after year. But when life has become something that is not worth enduring, then who are we to expect those loved ones to stay around longer than they want or need to?

I am not a proponent of active euthanasia although it has its positives in certain circumstances...the negatives at this time outweigh those positives. Life was not meant to end. We have a deep desire within us to go on living, and as you said...even in difficult circumstances this is the case.

The family member who was in care was completely disabled and bedridden.....he decided that it was time to end the painful indignity that his life had become, so he simply refused to eat and drink. He had the full support of his doctor who administered pain relief during the process with an automated syringe driver. No one can force you to do eat or drink. And if you have signed a DNR order, they cannot legally "save" you once you are unconscious and your wishes are down in writing.

It was not an unpleasant experience overall because...
1) we knew that he had lost all desire to keep living with his terminal illness and this was his decision.
2) What he chose to do is called "passive euthanasia" meaning it breaks no law of God or man to end your own suffering.
3) It gave the family wonderful time with him, as we stayed for the whole time it took him to pass away, which he did very gently. We had his favorite music playing in the background and we shared all the old photos of his childhood and we were there with him and for him during the whole process.
4) It gave us closure to have shared that precious time with him....but the pain of loss remains.

Another aspect of passive euthanasia that never seems to be discussed is induced coma. When someone is nearing death and the final weeks are approaching, why are the dying not given access to a painless death? Why can't they induce a coma (only at the patients request in writing) and ease them into "the long goodnight" painlessly? There is just so much that morphine can do in those final weeks. Why must they die in agony and distress? Who benefits? I have had friends with cancer asking me to pray for them to die......it is heart wrenching.

Theists like to believe that they live on. Atheists don't believe in God, and have no reason to hedge their bets (in case there is a God). But, if someone guessed wrong, and picked the wrong jealous God, they don't have a prayer in heaven.

I have no belief in heaven as the final destination for all believers, except for the "elect" or "the chosen ones"......these have a specific role and purpose in heaven (Revelation 20:6) and they will assist Christ Jesus in the administration of his heavenly kingdom over earthly subjects, bringing us back to what we lost in Eden. (Revelation 21:2-4) That is my hope for the future....I will either survive the end times, or if I die before the end comes, I will be resurrected in the "new earth" (2 Peter 3:13; John 5:28-29) Either way, I am happy.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why is death so scary to many? Are you afraid of dying? Why or why not?
All animals have evolved with a strong survival instinct. Fatally, too often the ones that didn't have a strong survival instinct got eaten (or whatever) before they got round to breeding. So death is scary ie to be instinctively avoided.

I have an appropriate sense of apprehension about dying. But I have no fear about being dead. "Thou hast finished joy and moan" as Shakespeare said. Thou hast finished everything, indeed.

YoursTrue

Because of the world scene today, I find those of us who are 'alive' at the soon coming 'time or separating ' on Earth as found at Matthew 25:31-33,37 can look forward to staying alive.
When we are dead we don't know we are dead, but of course while alive we know we are alive.
The dead can be awakened from death's deep sleep, but those of us who are still alive at Jesus' coming glory time can remain alive and stay alive to see calendar Day One of Jesus' coming millennial reign over Earth.
So, to me we would want to fear 'displeasing' God so that those of us still alive can look forward to Not seeing ' enemy death ' according to 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8
Exactly, couldn't have said it better,

Psalm23

I'm curious. Without faith in jesus (if christianity and jesus never existed) would you fear death?
(Religion is people's solace but what is the person without his or her source of spiritual fulfilment)

Religion can be both a solace and a fear. A lot of that is based on the person’s view of God. If you see God as loving, then more likely the religion to be a comfort. If you see God as judging then religion is more likely to cause fear in the individual. View of God isn’t necessarily all one way or the other. Often times there is a mix of positive and negative concepts people have of God.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
All animals have evolved with a strong survival instinct. Fatally, too often the ones that didn't have a strong survival instinct got eaten (or whatever) before they got round to breeding. So death is scary ie to be instinctively avoided.

This is the interesting thing about animals though....they have a 'flight or fight' instinct....but I do not believe that they have a concept of their own imminent demise.

Sentient animals by and large, live in the present, and though they can learn from past experience, they have no conscious awareness of the future. All creatures who prepare instinctively for the future, (animals who hibernate...squirrels collecting and storing food for the winter etc.) do not do so consciously.....it is instinctive wisdom, implanted by their Creator. Instinct is 'programming' and all programs need a programmer because it demonstrates intelligent and purposeful forethought which animals do not have.

Herd animals like elephants, or those who live in tight knit troops have an instinct that makes them aware of the need to care for their own members. They usually have hierarchy and a pecking order that shows organization but it is not done purposefully...it is all instinctive behavior.

Animals do not fear death because they have no concept of it for themselves. Only humans possess that capacity to imagine their own future demise....that is what creates the fear.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Agreed, I'm not yearning for death either.
I can also agree because we were created with 'eternity in our hearts'.
For each day we can think of we can count both forwards and backwards forever and ever.
We were created to live forever. Satan threw a temporary monkey wrench into God's purpose.
God's eternal purpose has allowed for us to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
So, once the sin issue is settled then, God will act to rid Earth of both sin and death.
This is what we can learn from the Bible at 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is the interesting thing about animals though....they have a 'flight or fight' instinct....but I do not believe that they have a concept of their own imminent demise.
Some ─ elephants and chimps (maybe dolphins) are mentioned in the literature ─ appear to understand the concept of death, and have particular behaviors when particular deaths occur. Chimps also invade the territories of other chimps and kill the males, which suggests planning and purpose action. But for the rest, as long as they flee or are effective in a fight, the abstract concept may not matter.
Sentient animals by and large, live in the present, and though they can learn from past experience, they have no conscious awareness of the future.
Without overstating it, dogs I've known show that at certain times of day they expect things to happen, like someone's return (more subtle than just getting fed).
All creatures who prepare instinctively for the future, (animals who hibernate...squirrels collecting and storing food for the winter etc.) do not do so consciously.....it is instinctive wisdom, implanted by their Creator.
Or their evolution, since the ones that didn't, didn't survive as well.
Instinct is 'programming' and all programs need a programmer because it demonstrates intelligent and purposeful forethought which animals do not have
You should have a good look at evolution ─ it's a remarkably good explainer of a lot of things about living critters. Whereas "God did it" explains nothing till someone shows us how God did it.And the answer here may well be. by evolution.
Herd animals like elephants, or those who live in tight knit troops have an instinct that makes them aware of the need to care for their own members. They usually have hierarchy and a pecking order that shows organization but it is not done purposefully...it is all instinctive behavior.
Mutual protection behaviors are found in most gregarious animals, like the simultaneous swerves of schools of fish, or flocks of birds. Meerkats are noted for it, birds and some animals have particular cries to warn of predators, and so on.

Interesting topic.

Earthtank

Yes I am convinced that there is only one true God and HE sets the way to worship him. Have you prayed for wisdom to know Him?
In a sense yes I have and have reached a conclusion that differs with "your" God. And that's the part that kinda scares me

Earthtank

Why does it scare you if I may ask?
because of hell and all that "fun" stuff lol. Christians (in short) say Worship Jesus aka the true god, Muslims and Jews say worship Allah/God but, their books are different. So who's right? Let's say i become a Muslim, do YOU think ill end up in hell?

Irate State

Äkta människor
I can also agree because we were created with 'eternity in our hearts'.
For each day we can think of we can count both forwards and backwards forever and ever.
We were created to live forever. Satan threw a temporary monkey wrench into God's purpose.
God's eternal purpose has allowed for us to be born and think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
So, once the sin issue is settled then, God will act to rid Earth of both sin and death.
This is what we can learn from the Bible at 1 Corinthians 15:24-26; Isaiah 25:8

Very nice, I don't adhere to any religion, its claims or the claims of their adherents, tho.
I may have wrongly stated in another post that there's nothing after death, and arguably it's as baseless as your comment, no offense.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
because of hell and all that "fun" stuff lol. Christians (in short) say Worship Jesus aka the true god, Muslims and Jews say worship Allah/God but, their books are different. So who's right? Let's say i become a Muslim, do YOU think ill end up in hell?

Huh, I find at John 4:23-24 Jesus says who we are to worship ___________
Even the resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus still thinks he has a God over him according to Revelation 3:12.
To which hell are you referring __________
The religious-myth hell of burning forever, or the Bible's temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead __________
When King James translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire that put the flames in the grave.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit where things were destroyed forever.
Thus, it is No wonder that Psalms 92:7 says the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' (Not burned forever).

Can you think of anyone righteous who went to hell ___________
According to Scripture the day righteous Jesus died he went to hell - Acts of the Apostles 2:27.
Not to flames but to sleep. That is why Jesus teaches sleep in death at John 11:11-14.
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach sleep in death - Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5

Also, No one ends up ( permanently) in biblical hell because everyone in hell/grave is ' delivered up ' ( meaning resurrected out of hell/grave )
- Revelation 20:13:14. Jesus has the keys to unlock the grave - Revelation 1:18

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Before I understood the Bible by God's undeserved kindness, I was very afraid to die. I thought like you do, that there was nothing. After all, why live only to die? But now I know that death is like sleep, and God can wake us up.

You know... I know you don't mean any disrespect, but that kind of mindset has always left a bad taste in my mouth. When folks like to take people and put them in categories according to their preconcieved notions about what they think those people are like, it never actually reflects how the person is or what they think or how they feel.

You see, I used to think that this life was a stepping stone to something better. I believed that all the hardships I faced in this life would magically go away when I died; that all the time I squandered, all the opportunities I missed, and all the neglect of myself that I endured for the sake of others who'd use me for my selflessness was ok because when I died I would finally be able to be happy in heaven. I never really respected the life I had, because I believed god had something better in store for me than the life I lived.

Only in realising my mortality have I found that life is truly, truly precious. Every breath I take is one less breath I have before I die forever. I've learned that time is a precious thing never to be wasted. I've learned that opportunities are gone forever if you don't strike when the iron is hot. I've also learned that by strengthening yourself, it puts you in a better position to help people in a more healthy and meaingful way.

You assume I fear death. In truth, I've learned how to love life.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Why is death so scary to many? Are you afraid of dying? Why or why not?

No, not scared of it. But it will represent a loss for me, based on my world view, so there is that.
My father-in-law is a classic example of someone who IS afraid of death. I have seen the unfortunate impact deaths around him have on his mental well-being, and how it impacts on his ability to support others, and make clear decisions.

This has been basically universally true, whether the death is a friend, his parents, or (on one somewhat memorable occasion) my dog, so it's not just an over-riding grief at the loss of a parent (for example) but something deeper, and more all-encompassing.

Ultimately, my assumption is that this occurs where people are not reconciled to the concept of death (regardless of how they view death and the afterlife) and have unresolved questions and concerns which are constantly brought to the fore when death becomes a topic of close consideration.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Huh, I find at John 4:23-24 Jesus says who we are to worship ___________
Even the resurrected ascended-to-heaven Jesus still thinks he has a God over him according to Revelation 3:12.
To which hell are you referring __________
The religious-myth hell of burning forever, or the Bible's temporary stone-cold grave for the sleeping dead __________
When King James translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire that put the flames in the grave.
Gehenna was just a garbage pit where things were destroyed forever.
Thus, it is No wonder that Psalms 92:7 says the wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' (Not burned forever).

Can you think of anyone righteous who went to hell ___________
According to Scripture the day righteous Jesus died he went to hell - Acts of the Apostles 2:27.
Not to flames but to sleep. That is why Jesus teaches sleep in death at John 11:11-14.
Jesus was well educated in the old Hebrew Scriptures which also teach sleep in death - Psalms 115:17; Isaiah 38:18; Ecclesiastes 9:5

Also, No one ends up ( permanently) in biblical hell because everyone in hell/grave is ' delivered up ' ( meaning resurrected out of hell/grave )
- Revelation 20:13:14. Jesus has the keys to unlock the grave - Revelation 1:18

Sleep in death is not annihilation or extinction in death. The Bible never teaches that we become non existent in death.
Sleep in death actually suggests that we are still there, just in a different state to our normal waking state.