• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death Rituals

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
With Halloween and the Day of the Dead approaching, I thought this would be a timely topic.

What are your faith's rituals when someone dies? If you aren't part of an organized religion, perhaps you have rituals common in your culture or family. Share with us!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Here in Brazil most people are buried, although cremation is an acceptable and well-known alternative.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hinduism, other than 99.9% being cremated, has great variance. In areas where law allows, the corpse is kept at home in a main room, and friends and neighbours come by to pay respects. In a couple of days the corpse is taken (carried) to an open air cremation ground, where the cremation happens. Customarily, the eldest son lights the funeral pyre.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What @Vinayaka said. ^^

For me personally, I told my daughter that while I prefer cremation, the choice of what to do with the remains is ultimately up to her, because death rituals, as I see them, are more for the living than they are for the dead.