• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death Penalty Does Not Deter Crime

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sure it has. It lets the murder live when he should die. Letting the murderer live when he should die based upon your 'feel good' emotions, destroys the judicial system.
Its not justice, its revenge. And, like it or not, countries that have abolished it have seen a decrease in murder rates. Lowering that serves society better than a lust for vengence after the fact.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What part of 'justice' is not 'revenge'?

Good-Ole-Rebel
They arent the same thing.
Don’t Confuse Revenge With Justice: Five Key Differences
1. Revenge is predominantly emotional; justice primarily rational. Revenge is mostly about “acting out” (typically through violence) markedly negative emotions. At its worst, it expresses a hot, overwhelming desire for bloodshed.
Justice—as logically, legally, and ethically defined—isn’t really about “getting even” or experiencing a spiteful joy in retaliation.
2. Revenge is, by nature, personal; justice is impersonal, impartial, and both a social and legal phenomenon. The driving impetus behind revenge is to get even, to carry out a private vendetta, or to achieve what, subjectively, might be described as personal justice.
On the other hand, social justice is impersonal. It revolves around moral correction in situations where certain ethical and culturally vital principles have been violated. When justice is successfully meted out, the particular retribution benefits or protects both the individual and society
3. Revenge is an act of vindictiveness; justice, of vindication. The intense effort to avenge oneself or others can easily become corrupting, morally reducing the avenger’s status to that of the perpetrator. Two wrongs do not make a right and (ethically speaking) never can. Degrading another only ends up further degrading oneself.
In opposition, justice is grounded in assumptions, conventions, and doctrines having to do with honor, fairness, and virtue. Its purpose really isn’t vindictive. That is, bloodthirstiness has no part—or should have no part—in precepts of justice,
4. Revenge is about cycles; justice is about closure. Revenge has a way of relentlessly repeating itself (as in interminable feuds, such as the Hatfields and McCoys)—and ever more maliciously. Revenge typically begets more revenge. Whether it’s an individual or an entire nation, it takes place within a closed system that seems able to feed on itself indefinitely.
Justice, in contrast, is designed (by individuals or officials generally not linked to the two opposing camps) to offer a resolution far more likely to eventuate in closure—especially if, in fact, it is just (equitable). And when justice is done so is the conflict that led up to it.
5. Revenge is about retaliation; justice is about restoring balance. The motive of revenge has mostly to do with expressing rage, hatred, or spite. It’s a protest or payback, and its foremost intent is to harm. In and of itself, it’s not primarily about justice but about victims’ affirming their inborn (but non-legal) right to retaliate against some wrong done to them.
On the contrary, justice is concerned with dispassionately restoring balance by bringing about equality—or better, equity. It centers on proportion as it equates to fairness. Not driven by emotion, restorative justice—meted out by a court of law—seeks to be as objective and evenhanded as possible.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have absolutely no problem looking you in the eye and telling I am and always will be a support of capital punishment. What's barbaric is the touchy feely way some folks want to treat these animals. Also, being stoned, crucified, or drawn and quartered is barbaric.

Is that part of your religious belief? If so, I'm glad it isn't a part of mine. The USA is divided on this anyway, so at least half of you seem to be advancing. :D

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Is that part of your religious belief? If so, I'm glad it isn't a part of mine. The USA is divided on this anyway, so at least half of you seem to be advancing. :D

Being that I am not religious in any sense of the word, your comment has no meaning. You want to have long, meaningful hand-holding sessions with an animal that murders children just to watch them die, then that side of the road is just as open. As for me, I'd rather share air with someone whom I could trust my grand children to be around.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Being that I am not religious in any sense of the word, your comment has no meaning. You want to have long, meaningful hand-holding sessions with an animal that murders children just to watch them die, then that side of the road is just as open. As for me, I'd rather share air with someone whom I could trust my grand children to be around.

This 'animal' might be innocent - has happened in the UK I believe and no doubt too in the USA and elsewhere. You seem to be under a misapprehension that justice is 100% objectively applied, when often it is down to persuading a jury - of people one could drag off the street - and with as much expertise in law or any other related matters as one might expect.