• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Death Cleaning"....Who's Doing It?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sweden's 'gentle art' of house cleaning before death
Excerpted....
Death cleaning, or "dostadning" in Swedish, is the name given to the practice of sorting through your personal belongings before your death.

The concept has gained something of a cult following around the world since it was coined by author Margareta Magnusson in her 2017 bestseller "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and Your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter".

"I think you should take care of your stuff so that no one else has to do all the work for you with all the crap that you have left behind," the author tells AFP.

Sorting through a lifetime of possessions "takes you back to moments you want to remember maybe, and if you don't, just throw it away", she says.

Death cleaning differs from the decluttering approach to a tidy home associated with Marie Kondo, a Japanese celebrity who gained global fame promoting the idea that people should keep only those items that bring them joy.

Swedish death cleaning is meant to relieve families of the burden of sorting through possessions after the death of a loved one.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm doing it in a preliminary way....
- Organizing & documenting things.
- Selling or trading away things that don't fit into goals.
- Apprising family of an auction company to handle antique machinery.
- Ridding us of things no longer needed or wanted.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I'm doing it in a preliminary way....
- Organizing & documenting things.
- Selling or trading away things that don't fit into goals.
- Apprising family of an auction company to handle antique machinery.
- Ridding us of things no longer needed or wanted.

Well, I hope my wife is not going to have to do it, but she properly has cancer. :anguished:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
As far as "death cleaning", since we don't have any close relatives or kids, the burden will fall on whichever one of us is left after one leaves his or her body.

As far as 'death cleaning' vs 'decluttering' goes, we're both doing it but not from what we've read and been inspired by, but because it seems like the thing to do. I have, for example, less than half the books I used to have, my clothes closet is diminished and accumulated papers going back to college transcripts have been winnowed and will be winnowed again.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sweden's 'gentle art' of house cleaning before death
Excerpted....
Death cleaning, or "dostadning" in Swedish, is the name given to the practice of sorting through your personal belongings before your death.

The concept has gained something of a cult following around the world since it was coined by author Margareta Magnusson in her 2017 bestseller "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning: How to Free Yourself and Your Family from a Lifetime of Clutter".

"I think you should take care of your stuff so that no one else has to do all the work for you with all the crap that you have left behind," the author tells AFP.

Sorting through a lifetime of possessions "takes you back to moments you want to remember maybe, and if you don't, just throw it away", she says.

Death cleaning differs from the decluttering approach to a tidy home associated with Marie Kondo, a Japanese celebrity who gained global fame promoting the idea that people should keep only those items that bring them joy.

Swedish death cleaning is meant to relieve families of the burden of sorting through possessions after the death of a loved one.
Naw. I like to give people an adventure.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Per the OP, with my wife and I being in our 70's, we have already started that process even though our "kids" don't want to hear it. Also, we talk together on a regular basis about our deaths as it's better to deal with that reality than to be in denial.

Hey, when I go, at least I don't have to put up yas here at RF! Yes, there is a heaven! :innocent: