• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death being final degrades and insults our humanity

The Transcended Omniverse

The idea of the afterlife is so important to me since I want a personal private life all to myself where I can be happy all I want and get whatever I want. That is the only good thing in life to me. I don't care about the personal opinions of others who say that this is childish, I need to grow up, etc. We are talking about me as a human being here and if I am just biological material here for a short while only to forever decay when I die and not live on in an eternal blissful afterlife, then that is treating me like I am nothing more than a biological organism/machine or some sort of scrap material that will just break down, die, and decay one day.

That would be utterly insulting and degrading of me as a human being for such a treatment to be given to me. I just don't understand how nonbelievers think otherwise. Imagine how the Jews felt in regards to how Hitler treated them. I bet they felt quite insulted and degraded since they were being treated like nothing more than animals and torture devices. The same thing applies to me in a situation where death is final. If death really is final, then I would feel quite insulted and degraded as well since that is treating me like I am nothing more than something to be tossed and thrown away for good like a rotting and decaying piece of meat.

I will apply this concept to religious believers as well. If there is a God out there such as the God portrayed by fundamentalist Christianity, then that would be a far worse treatment of me. That would be treating me like a slave who is expected to serve and dedicate my life to God or burn forever in a lake of fire. It would be an even worse treatment than Hitler, in my opinion. But, at the same time, death being final is also a horrible, tragic, insulting, and degrading treatment as well for all the reasons I've just explained. Therefore, that only leaves one option by which I can be treated with dignity and respect.

That would be through the New Age spiritual view which advocates the idea that we are all loved by a God who will not condemn us, send us to hell, or have us simply rot and decay away to where we are nevermore. It is the one world religion that many people are uniting under. I don't have any religious beliefs. I don't believe in a God, an afterlife, and nor do I believe in the idea that once you die, that is it. Therefore, I just don't know what to expect when I die and I really hope it is the case that I do get to live on forever in the eternal blissful afterlife of my dreams.

I disagree with your assessment. Here is how I think of things.

A candle has value even if you will blow it out. It need not burn forever to be useful and worthwhile.

I agree that we can still have value as human beings, but all I am saying is that death being final would be very degrading and insulting of our humanity. The Jews still have value as human beings, but they were still being insulted and degraded by how they were treated by Hitler.

rusra02

Premium Member
I believe God created us to live forever. God promises to raise the dead back to life. (Acts 24:15) Since he gives life, we are and will forever be subject to him, IMO. Why should God forever tolerate rebels? Anyone who refuses to acknowledge God's sovereignty "will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him." (John 3:36) The Bible says such ones "will undergo the judicial punishment of everlasting destruction." (2 Thessalonians 1:9)

Those people are right. You do need to grow up.

It's not like that because the situation I posed with how the Jews were being treated by Hitler justifies the position I take in my post and does not make me out to be any sort of childish person who needs to grow up. The fact is, this is something that really does degrade and insult our humanity and thinking so is not childish or immature in the least bit. Any situation that degrades and insults our humanity would not render us as immature children to feel insulted and degraded by said situations.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
It's not like that because the situation I posed with how the Jews were being treated by Hitler justifies the position I take in my post and does not make me out to be any sort of childish person who needs to grow up. The fact is, this is something that really does degrade and insult our humanity and thinking so is not childish or immature in the least bit. Any situation that degrades and insults our humanity would not render us as immature children to feel insulted and degraded by said situations.
Yeah, because:
... I want a personal private life all to myself where I can be happy all I want and get whatever I want...
sounds SOOOOO grown up....

[/sarcasm]

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
It doesn't matter how you feel about it. Your feelings don't prove whether there is an afterlife just because you can't handle the fact that death may be final.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

As an Advaitan, my thinking somewhat agrees with yours @The Transcended Omniverse . Brahman, our ultimate reality, is described as pure sat-cit-ananda (being-awareness-bliss). So these attributes experienced through finite forms like us, are the innate drives to be happy and to survive. The desire to survive is in our very nature.

It doesn't matter how you feel about it. Your feelings don't prove whether there is an afterlife just because you can't handle the fact that death may be final.

I already realize this. All I'm doing here is sharing my personal views which are views that I am quite sure many others share and feel justified to have like me.

As an Advaitan, my thinking somewhat agrees with yours @The Transcended Omniverse . Brahman, our ultimate reality, is described as pure sat-cit-ananda (being-awareness-bliss). So these attributes experienced through finite forms like us, are the innate drives to be happy and to survive. The desire to survive is in our very nature.

I thought you believed that we are eternal blissful beings though. I am speaking from the naturalistic materialistic perspective where we are not eternal souls and that once we die, we die for good.

Edit: Never mind. You said your thinking agrees (not disagrees) with my perspective.

You have not presented anything in this thread to show how it is NOT childish and immature.

I'm not sure what else to say. I think it is just quite obvious that if there is any situation that insults and degrades you as a human being, that to feel insulted and degraded by said situations is justified and isn't childish.

Where did you get the idea that life is fair?

I know it's not fair. But I consider it to be the act of a liberal to call out injustice where it is at and talk about it. I just don't consider it to be childish. If anybody feels insulted or degraded by someone else in their lives or by any given situation, then I don't consider it childish for that individual to feel insulted and degraded and to share it.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I know it's not fair. But I consider it to be the act of a liberal to call out injustice where it is at and talk about it. I just don't consider it to be childish. If anybody feels insulted or degraded by someone else in their lives or by any given situation, then I don't consider it childish for that individual to feel insulted and degraded and to share it.
What is "injust" about death being the end?
What makes you think you "deserve" to go on past death?

What is "injust" about death being the end?
What makes you think you "deserve" to go on past death?

I think any kind and innocent human being would deserve that because it would be treating them like they are nothing more than material for them to just rot and decay away as I've already explained in my opening post. Since kind and innocent people deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, then to have them live on in an eternal blissful afterlife would be treating them with dignity and respect. Just having them forever rot and decay away would be disrespectful and a lack of human dignity.

@The Transcended Omniverse

"The idea of the afterlife is so important to me since I want a personal private life all to myself where I can be happy all I want and get whatever I want."

If you can't do that now, what makes you think you will be able to in some after-life?

The New Age spiritualist view offers an explanation. It says that even though this life we have is an unfortunate one most of the time due to bad karma and whatnot, that everything will work out in the end for us and we will be happy forever.