• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death and the Paradigm difference

Kirran

Premium Member
Just be all things to all things, yeah?

I'm not sure. Can you clarify?

I very much believe that I'll go onto future lives after I die, but that it won't be my point of view, and it won't be like 'one person' who is me.

Shantanu

Hindus, at least non-alien influenced Hindus simply see the entire situation from a far larger and far more patient perspective.
Sure about that? - is there not the idea, in non-alien influenced Hindus, of a karmic ladder leading to escape from this reality?

Shantanu

I very much believe that I'll go onto future lives after I die, but that it won't be my point of view, and it won't be like 'one person' who is me.
Well it means do not treat yourself as any different to anything else, and be eternal because the universe does not have a beginning or an end. So you are it.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Do you not believe we have a soul that lasts for many lifetimes and is what links our lives as one grand experience?

Kirran

Premium Member
Do you not believe we have a soul that lasts for many lifetimes and is what links our lives as one grand experience?

Yes. But it isn't a separate one. It exists now just as it always will and always has. This implies time exists of course, when it's an illusion.

Certainly there's one great experience, involving myself, other people, past and future lives.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Yes. But it isn't a separate one.
ah, I see what you are saying. Brahman/God animates all and is One. On this I agree and that is what I call 'spirit' not 'soul'. But I am also postulating a individual 'soul' (not permanent but lasting for many lifetimes until liberation) that is intermediary between us and Brahman. This soul grows through experiences until it merges with God.

Certainly there's one great experience, involving myself, other people, past and future lives.
How do you see the incremental progress we make in this one life being preserved? And good/bad karma accumulated without a semi-permanent soul that is us until liberation?

Kirran

Premium Member
ah, I see what you are saying. Brahman/God animates all and is One. On this I agree and that is what I call 'spirit' not 'soul'. But I am also postulating a individual 'soul' (not permanent but lasting for many lifetimes until liberation) that is intermediary between us and Brahman. This soul grows through experiences until it merges with God.

I see what you mean, of course. But as all is one, a shared soul seems to be all there really is.

How do you see the incremental progress we make in this one life being preserved? And good/bad karma accumulated without a semi-permanent soul that is us until liberation?

By how we impact other people, how we impact the world. The idea that our own progress is so separate - as we advance spiritually, this is just spiritual progress for everybody.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I see what you mean, of course. But as all is one, a shared soul seems to be all there really is.
I agree, ultimately Brahman is all that exists. But until we liberate; physical bodies, astral bodies, souls have a relative reality is all I'm saying.

By how we impact other people, how we impact the world. The idea that our own progress is so separate - as we advance spiritually, this is just spiritual progress for everybody.
Do you then not believe in what is typically called 'reincarnation'? Or that some come into the world at a higher spiritual level than others based on spiritual efforts in previous lifetimes?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Or that some come into the world at a higher spiritual level than others based on spiritual efforts in previous lifetimes?

Reincarnation, and karma are the perfect explanations for this. We have child geniuses and child ruffians, and there is often no logical explanation for it. Reincarnation, and the wider picture view explain it.

Kalibhakta

Jai Maha Kali Ma!
I just hope when I die I would have lived a worthy life. The Grace of god ranks more in my mind more then the fear of reincarnating again.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindu (this one): Lived his life, through sorrows and pleasures. No regrets. If someone has regrets, it does not make any difference, only gives a bad after-taste. Returns (sort of, as it appears) from where he came up. From billions of things and will go to billion of things. The story continues. Is there a beginning? Is there an end? Who knows?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Grant me, ye dearest gods, the boon to be [re-]born, again and again, to wondrous and caring parents; offer me thousand-fold opportunities to learn and be successful for vast knowledge is truly great; bless me in the venture to win a thousand-and-one glories; and after attaining both material and spiritual victories, if pleased, grant me the audience of the illustrious ancestors in their radiant halls so I may dine and wine with comrades and heroes in assembly.
Hindu or Viking, Poeticus? :D
By how we impact other people, how we impact the world?
Mat kar tu abhiman, Re Bande, mat kar tu abhiman,
Jhooti teri shan , Re Bande, mat kar tu abhiman.

Do not be proud, O being, do not be proud.
Your magnificence is false, O Being, do not be proud.

Jiyo toh aise jiyo jaise sab tumhara hai,
Maro toh aise ki jaise tumhara kuchh bhi nahi.

Live as if everything is yours,
Die as if nothing is yours.

In my younger days, I was likened to this actor, Joy Mukherjee. Did I take that as a compliment? :D
More than Aup does.
Not possible. Discuss. :D

Last edited: