• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death and rebirth

DanielR

I'm sorry but didn't even Nagarjuna denied rebirth??? Not explicitly but you can read it all through his Karika.

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
I'm sorry but didn't even Nagarjuna denied rebirth??? Not explicitly but you can read it all through his Karika.

This is a common misunderstanding. Nagarjuna in his Mula only refutes the inherent existence of all kinds of Mahayana subjects. He does not deny the appearance or functioning of rebirth, karma etc.

See his Precious Garland or Friendly Letter where he is explicitly mentions the way higher rebirth is to be sought and lower rebirth to be avoided.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
From the other thread:
When there is no more rebirth (not recycling :confused:), we die. Thats it. We no longer have attachments. We die.
I do not think Buddhism says that. The stage of 'Nirvana' is indescribable. Buddha said when he dies, even Indra and Brahma would not be able to find him.

sopadhishesa-nirvana - sa-upadhi-sesha - (nirvana with a remainder)
(After enlightenment, Buddha attained that)
parinirvana or anupadhishesa-nirvana - an-upadhi-sesha (nirvana without remainder, or final nirvana)
(Blowing out of the flame of a candle, Buddha's death. You ask where the flame has gone?)
Nirvana - Wikipedia

TurkeyOnRye

Ive heard it debated whether The Buddha taught after enlightenment, one dies. They have no rebirth (and no heaven and no god/Brahma) I think its called nihilism. I found that we will die and that will be it.

How do you view death in light of the Dharma? Be a bit specific for convo sake.

Here is why I see death as it

Being subject themselves to aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeing the drawbacks of aging... illness... death... sorrow... defilement, seeking the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less, unexcelled rest from the yoke, Unbinding, they reached the aging-less, illness-less, deathless, sorrow-less, unexcelled rest from the yoke: Unbinding. Knowledge & vision arose in them: 'Unprovoked is our release.

This is the last birth. There is now no further becoming.'
Ariyapariyesana Sutta: The Noble Search

The Buddha does describe elightenment as heaven but never to be mixed with abrahamic views.

For many years, my stock response to the subject of death and rebirth is that death does not technically exist, and that consciousness must reformulate itself into something that, perhaps as a rule (although not necessarily a rule that can't be broken), is unknowable in the current body, as the sensorium itself gets reformulated in the process.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From the other thread:
I do not think Buddhism says that. The stage of 'Nirvana' is indescribable. Buddha said when he dies, even Indra and Brahma would not be able to find him.

sopadhishesa-nirvana - sa-upadhi-sesha - (nirvana with a remainder)
(After enlightenment, Buddha attained that)
parinirvana or anupadhishesa-nirvana - an-upadhi-sesha (nirvana without remainder, or final nirvana)
(Blowing out of the flame of a candle, Buddha's death. You ask where the flame has gone?)
Nirvana - Wikipedia
You're right. Buddhism dosent say that.

I like to think of Nirvana as that child you once were, but cannot evermore recall or remember any of the experiences or accounts. Cessation.