• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death and Evolution

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
My point isn't about life but death, the planner knows that death should be a part of
the living cycle, it's never the work of "just happened to be", IOW randomness.

It is your right to believe in that.

As an argument, though, it is entirely vapid. You are just stating your belief with no support whatsoever for it.

If we think that life just happened to be and then we think that death just happened to be

Death is a natural, even unavoidable consequence of life, since life is based on ultimately unstable, often self-sabotaging dynamics.

then thinking everything just happened to be, that would be really nonsense.
Perhaps for you.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Is becoming old and die was good for the species?
Absolutely since if none died from old age or other factors then their food supply would likely run out, plus the world would become quickly overpopulated.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
It is your right to believe in that.

As an argument, though, it is entirely vapid. You are just stating your belief with no support whatsoever for it.

Yes, I see such things as well planned and not just happened to be so.
and it's your right as not to believe

Death is a natural, even unavoidable consequence of life, since life is based on ultimately unstable, often self-sabotaging dynamics.

What is "natural" to you, is it "just happened to be so".
Why you assume that death is unavoidable consequence of life, do you think it's impossible
for species to live longer, what if humans lived 5000 years instead of 100 years, still you'll
think that it's a natural process and not being planned to be so, what if we lived for 14 years
which means that there will be no reproduction and then extinction, but the easy answer "it
just happened to be so" and here we're

Perhaps for you.

And for many others, not only me

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
What is "natural" to you, is it "just happened to be so".
Well, yes. That is even common language use.

I am just not predisposed towards presuming unnecessary deities.

Why you assume that death is unavoidable consequence of life,

I do not "assume". I understand what life is.

do you think it's impossible for species to live longer, what if humans lived 5000 years instead of 100 years, still you'll
think that it's a natural process and not being planned to be so,

Of course I would. It would take some serious evidence for me to evne consider percerving human life as somehow "planned".

what if we lived for 14 years which means that there will be no reproduction and then extinction, but the easy answer "it
just happened to be so" and here we're

That probably happened at some point to some human variants, as a matter of fact.

And for many others, not only me
It is too bad that many of those are on the grasp of unchecked superstition.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
The letters of "HELP" are an abstract set of objects that, having experienced the natural/usual form of things like beaches and rocks, one comes to understand do not simply form themselves out of un-moving objects like rocks. Or, to be clearer, the understanding we have due to exposure to usual/normal beaches is that such an occurrence is so extremely unlikely so as to warrant further investigation into what is behind the formation - regardless whether one understands the lexicon or not. Expecting an intelligence behind it becomes easier the more you've experienced the usual/natural state of things, and the more exposure you've had to abstract concepts like lexicons and what uses them.

Right so even though you are granted 100% a purely unguided natural mechanism, that we know is fully capable of creating the result...an unseen intelligence is the more probable answer- because the power of explanation trumps the direct evidence in this case.

And yes, we also know that languages, particularly digital ones like DNA, have only one proven source, creative intelligence. Just like the waves washing up 'HELP"- it's not technically impossible to be created by chance, it's just that this does not = the most likely explanation

However, what do you think the first person who ever came across a crystal thought? Let's say a growth of amethyst. Because it didn't conform to the usual landscapes and understanding of their reality, they probably thought it was formed via some type of magic, or that spirits were behind its formation. In fact, curios shops yet today love to sell crystals as some form of magical healing or balance-inducing agent. Some people STILL think there is some kind of spiritual power attributable to them.

I think they may well have suspected intelligent design here also yes, and if so I think their hunch was correct

The knowledge we have about the universe by now is that it is ever-moving, ever creating things on its own. That the natural/usual state of matter is that it is in flux - interacting and reacting with other matter, forming new and complex relationships - crystals grow by themselves, and are doing so at all times throughout the entire universe. It seems funny or odd now to attribute a spirit to crystal formation. Especially when you can pick up a box at your local Toys 'R Us to go and grow some yourself.

My point being that there is a tendency is to attribute spiritual involvement or invoke some "higher powered" intelligence of some kind to explain something abnormal that you're not used to seeing in your reality. So, we're currently at the stage where a lot of people look at DNA and, fathoming the possibility that it came about via natural means, it becomes nearly impossible for them to accept - because it appears to be part of an abstract lexicon - and the only thing we know of that utilizes lexicons is, of course, intelligent beings. So we extrapolate that idea onto the formation of DNA - ignoring the fact that other complex arrangements of matter, like crystals, create themselves all the time. The hardest part for people to get past in the case of DNA is that it IS part of an abstract lexicon - because its specific formations dictate (via a type of "language") what an organism will be like as it forms. To my mind, we simply lack the experience with DNA to make it part of the usual/natural landscape enough to understand what could, or could not, truly be interpreted as a manifestation of evidence for a controlling/instantiating intelligence.

I once spent a summer teaching sailing on a lake, and remember 'correcting' a young student who believed the lake was there for us to sail on, telling them that we merely took advantage of a natural phenomena. I didn't realize at the time that they were quite correct- the lake was a reservoir built largely for recreational use. Point being that false assumptions work both ways, which one is the fallacy depends on which is ultimately truth, and we just don't know that yet do we? We're all taking our best guess

And why is it you seem to believe that the "simplest explanation" is that matter forms these sorts of relationships on its own? And that, by process of elimination, this means that you feel the most complex explanation would be that some sort of spiritual realm is at work? I have never known a single advancement or achievement of mankind that has relied solely on the assumption that a spiritual realm was involved in the processes being utilized or examined for discovery. Can you name one? Instead, what I have witnessed is the converse... that people flock first to the spiritual explanation for things that seem to have no explanation, and that once the understanding or explanation is found, people stop putting stock at all in their original spiritual assumptions. To my mind, this means that the "simpler" explanation is the spiritual, unknown, "God" explanation, because the explanation based on reality as we experience it requires time, work, effort, trial and error, and constant review and revision.

If you are designating creative intelligence as an inherently 'spiritual' or 'supernatural' phenomena- I agree with you. But it makes no difference to the fact that this phenomena does exist- we are using it right now.

So then we agree that the word 'HELP' was more likely created by this 'supernatural' phenomena we call creative intelligence as opposed to unguided naturalistic mechanism.

I have never known a single advancement or achievement of mankind that has relied solely on the assumption that a spiritual realm was involved in the processes being utilized or examined for discovery. Can you name one?

So yes, plenty- many small natural hills have been discovered to be man made for one reason or another, Piltdown man was discovered to be a creative invention, even entire landscapes once considered natural have been identified as the result of human farming/ cattle herding, irrigation etc etc.

And vice versa, for thousands of years many people blamed any bad weather on bad people angering nature, and demanded sacrifices to improve the weather. If bad weather continued this proved the sacrifices were not enough. If it improved, this proved that it worked. Many people today actually still believe this!

(not to derail this thread any further than we already have :) !)

A Vestigial Mote

So yes, plenty- many small natural hills have been discovered to be man made for one reason or another, Piltdown man was discovered to be a creative invention, even entire landscapes once considered natural have been identified as the result of human farming/ cattle herding, irrigation etc etc.

I'm having a hard time understanding how these are advancements or achievements - these sound more like by-products to me.

And vice versa, for thousands of years many people blamed any bad weather on bad people angering nature, and demanded sacrifices to improve the weather. If bad weather continued this proved the sacrifices were not enough. If it improved, this proved that it worked. Many people today actually still believe this!

What are we juxtaposing these things against? These are examples of reversals on advancement, detriments, or negative achievements? Just not quite sure I understand how these fit the "spiritually based advancements/achievements" question I posed.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I'm having a hard time understanding how these are advancements or achievements - these sound more like by-products to me.

What are we juxtaposing these things against? These are examples of reversals on advancement, detriments, or negative achievements? Just not quite sure I understand how these fit the "spiritually based advancements/achievements" question I posed.

The ideological bias has worked against science very much in the opposite way..

As I think we discussed before- re. arguably the greatest scientific advancements of all time:

Lemaitre's primeval atom was mocked and rejected as 'religious pseudoscience' and 'big bang' EXPLICITLY because atheists didn't like what THEY saw as the overt theistic implications of such a creation event: They all preferred static/eternal/steady models for the opposite explicit rationale (no creation = no creator)

Likewise before quantum mechanics, many thought the concept of deeper hidden instructions, guiding and shaping physical reality to be 'supernatural nonsense'

Is it complete coincidence that both Lemaitre and Planck were skeptics of atheism?

Point being. we should not assume a guiding conclusion/assumtpion either way- any academic bias towards what may seem to support a more materialist model of reality- has long proven a great barrier to scientific progress.

Nature is the executor of God's laws (Galileo)

Milton Platt

Death is good for earth and for more species to come which is a sign that someone
has planned for it, living for some years and giving birth for new comers.

What do you think? was it just a coincidence or a programmed death mechanism?
Natural selection occurs through differential rates of survival among variants. If every variant survives and reproduces, there is no differential survival and no selection effect. This is so obvious.

Further reproduction is exponential. If every progeny survives and if older generations so not die, population of organisms increase without limit. Earth has limited resources. So how is it possible for every individual to acquire enough food to survive.

Finally do you understand what death is. It's an entirely chemical and biological thing. The organism is a chemical factory and death is an irreversible breakdown of the process systems inside the factory either due to lack of raw materials to sustain it (food) or due to corrosion of vital components (old age or disease).

Finally under ideal conditions, certain bacterial cells and even some plants and fungi can indeed live forever. They rarely do due to resource stress or predation. More complicated organisms like us has too many internal parts to indefinitely work as factories without something or the other breaking down. This is old age. Death is not inevitable for all life, just very very probable. And the fact that it occurs is what drives evolution as it selects those who die less often and reproduce more due to better traits over those who do not.

How are you able to determine that a bacteria can live forever? You can only know that they can live for a very, very long time.

A Vestigial Mote

The ideological bias has worked against science very much in the opposite way..

As I think we discussed before- re. arguably the greatest scientific advancements of all time:

Lemaitre's primeval atom was mocked and rejected as 'religious pseudoscience' and 'big bang' EXPLICITLY because atheists didn't like what THEY saw as the overt theistic implications of such a creation event: They all preferred static/eternal/steady models for the opposite explicit rationale (no creation = no creator)

Likewise before quantum mechanics, many thought the concept of deeper hidden instructions, guiding and shaping physical reality to be 'supernatural nonsense'

Is it complete coincidence that both Lemaitre and Planck were skeptics of atheism?

Point being. we should not assume a guiding conclusion/assumtpion either way- any academic bias towards what may seem to support a more materialist model of reality- has long proven a great barrier to scientific progress.

Nature is the executor of God's laws (Galileo)

Hmmm... still doesn't support the case for supernaturally based views pushing any worthwhile advancements. All of the things you ended up describing as having to have overcome hurdles all ended up being explanations of physical aspects of the universe. Even if they may have started out with an idea of "I think the spirits are at work in this", that notion has, without fail, been proven incorrect as actual discoveries and progress is made in the arenas being focused on.

The "spiritual" explanation has only ever served as a tentative description of events or phenomenon being witnessed. Then starts the real work of actually delving into the physical processes involved to discover what makes things work as they do.

You can pretend that the spiritual view of anything was the instantiator of the progress made, but that is really just wishful thinking. The curiosity, and persistence into intellectual discovery is the instantiator... regardless the initial theories come to by inexperienced minds.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Hmmm... still doesn't support the case for supernaturally based views pushing any worthwhile advancements. All of the things you ended up describing as having to have overcome hurdles all ended up being explanations of physical aspects of the universe. Even if they may have started out with an idea of "I think the spirits are at work in this", that notion has, without fail, been proven incorrect as actual discoveries and progress is made in the arenas being focused on.

The "spiritual" explanation has only ever served as a tentative description of events or phenomenon being witnessed. Then starts the real work of actually delving into the physical processes involved to discover what makes things work as they do.

You can pretend that the spiritual view of anything was the instantiator of the progress made, but that is really just wishful thinking. The curiosity, and persistence into intellectual discovery is the instantiator... regardless the initial theories come to by inexperienced minds.

In the great debate between eternal and created universes- obviously what you call 'supernatural and spiritual' views turned out to produce the more accurate prediction of the physical process, right? in this case a distinct creation event v eternal static model - so too for other scientific breakthroughs I would argue- of course its debatable-

BUT what I'm saying is that we should disregard this altogether, neither 'assumption' should be used as to bias the evidence- we should follow the evidence wherever it leads, regardless of the implications one way or another- can we not at least agree on this?

I understand the logic of the point you are making, that if we see a pattern of natural/materialistic mechanisms, this pattern builds the case for a natural/materialist origin for those mechanisms- by default yes?

And the exact same rationale can be used to closely examine all the layers of automated functions in this software, to conclude that the entire system probably ultimately wrote itself by similar automated functions- why break the nice simple intelligence-free pattern?

i.e. automated function does not suggest, far less demand an ultimately automated origin- in fact this presents an insurmountable paradox; that the laws of nature were ultimately written by.. those very same laws.

And we see the same thing in nature as we would in software, that the most superficial, simple, observable, useful, intuitive layers, are underwritten by far more sophisticated, cryptic, abstract support systems-

To use Dawkins' old blind watchmaker analogy, I can demonstrate how a fully automated watch can be made without any creative intelligence whatsoever ... in a fully automated watch factory.... Does this pattern take us closer or further away from an ultimate materialist self-explanation?

A Vestigial Mote

BUT what I'm saying is that we should disregard this altogether, neither 'assumption' should be used as to bias the evidence- we should follow the evidence wherever it leads, regardless of the implications one way or another- can we not at least agree on this?

Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

I understand the logic of the point you are making, that if we see a pattern of natural/materialistic mechanisms, this pattern builds the case for a natural/materialist origin for those mechanisms- by default yes?

And the exact same rationale can be used to closely examine all the layers of automated functions in this software, to conclude that the entire system probably ultimately wrote itself by similar automated functions- why break the nice simple intelligence-free pattern?

i.e. automated function does not suggest, far less demand an ultimately automated origin- in fact this presents an insurmountable paradox; that the laws of nature were ultimately written by.. those very same laws.

And we see the same thing in nature as we would in software, that the most superficial, simple, observable, useful, intuitive layers, are underwritten by far more sophisticated, cryptic, abstract support systems-

To use Dawkins' old blind watchmaker analogy, I can demonstrate how a fully automated watch can be made without any creative intelligence whatsoever ... in a fully automated watch factory.... Does this pattern take us closer or further away from an ultimate materialist self-explanation?

The problem that still occurs (and I suspect always will) when positing an intelligence behind any of what we consider "natural" phenomenon is simply a question: When the "intelligence" you propose is entirely invisible, and leaves no verifiable trace on the objects it creates - at what point do you stop looking for physical explanations and finally bow to the proposed intelligence? And, make no mistake, that bow could only ever be made while SUPPOSING that the intelligence is, indeed, there to witness it. You don't get to know. And therein lies the rub.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
And what?

It was about comparing gravity to life, gravity is always there whereas our lives have an end and such plan is for the earth to survive.

Please read the other previous posts to follow up.

Gravity is always gravity, but life has changed from bacteria to
what we have today, how that is comparable?

So what relevance has bacteria that still exists today got to do with life today which includes bacteria, please when posing, at least make some sense.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
So what relevance has bacteria that still exists today got to do with life today which includes bacteria, please when posing, at least make some sense.

I don't have to explain a sentence by writing a book, the thing is that one member compared
my OP for death as equivalent to gravity, both are product of nature.

I commented that both are incomparable, gravity is always there, but our lives aren't.
The origin of life started from a primitive form of life to more complex ones, that isn't
the case with gravity, the gravity has been established and that's it, but death is programmed
to happen, not for the benefit of the species but for earth and life to survive which indicates a plan.

Milton Platt

Death is good for earth and for more species to come which is a sign that someone
has planned for it, living for some years and giving birth for new comers.

What do you think? was it just a coincidence or a programmed death mechanism?

You are presenting a false dichotomy. It doesn't have to be either one of those.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Agreed. Wholeheartedly.

Good to know- so I'll focus on the more fun part: our disagreement!

The problem that still occurs (and I suspect always will) when positing an intelligence behind any of what we consider "natural" phenomenon is simply a question: When the "intelligence" you propose is entirely invisible, and leaves no verifiable trace on the objects it creates - at what point do you stop looking for physical explanations and finally bow to the proposed intelligence? And, make no mistake, that bow could only ever be made while SUPPOSING that the intelligence is, indeed, there to witness it. You don't get to know. And therein lies the rub.

Whatever natural mechanism you may propose behind the Big Bang, is also entirely and inherently invisible- so I think we are stuck with that problem either way are we not?

As for leaving no trace... debatable... certainly most atheists in the early 20th C saw the primeval atom as strongly implicating God, and used this very rationale to reject it. Those implications only mysteriously vanished once it was proven beyond reasonable doubt for most of them. Hoyle who coined the term never accepted it to his dying day. Once you have declared something 'pseudoscience' and inherently unscientific, it's a little difficult to publicly change your mind!

And so to take the impartial view we agreed upon, I think we are analogous to forensic investigators at the scene, we can't rule out accident or intent. And we may also appreciate that the latter scenario may cause the former to appear more apparent superficially..

At what point do we close the case? I think that's where faith comes in, we all believe in something and must acknowledge that as such, so that we can always challenge our own beliefs, rather than declare our beliefs 'undeniable fact' and hence other people 'deniers of truth'
Isn't that where the problems usually begin?

And on not being able to know or witness God... this is not really debatable because it inherently depends on a very personal experience- which is also in a way the most empirical way to receive evidence of anything.

But absolutely I think you can, and I don't mind if you call me crazy, because I certainly would have a decade or so ago!

God did do it the first time. God offered Adam everlasting life on Earth as long as Adam did Not break God's Law.
Since we are innocent of what father Adam brought upon us is why God's sent Jesus to Earth to be a ransom for us.
We can Not resurrect oneself or another, so we need someone who can resurrect us. Jesus can and will.- Rev. 1:18.

It would seem that under Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth, that questions about dinosaurs will be answered. In school, decades ago, we were told dinosaur life contributed to life on earth for us.

Why is that more logical, rational, and believable, than just saying all life forms evolve to live in balance with the life around them. We eat plants and animals to live and one day we will die so that plants may feast upon our bodies and continue the circle of life? You operate under the assumption that humans are exempt from this simple circle that applies to all life. If you assume that all life lives by the same rules and dies by the same rules then human death is no different than a goldfish getting flushed. There is no goldfish heaven and there is no human heaven.

The 1000 year governmental rule of Jesus? If this is what your waiting then no wonder you believe in eternal life. You would need it to wait for something that will never happen.

Also kudos on the answer to the dinosaur question. I have heard a lot of absurd theists rationalities in my time but the "jesus will tell me when he gets here" is a new one. Pretty much the equivalent of a teenager throwing a hand in the air and saying "whatever".

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How are you able to determine that a bacteria can live forever? You can only know that they can live for a very, very long time.
Well, yes. What was seen that these cells when cultured under ideal conditions remain healthy as long as they were kept.