• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death and Dying

Thief

Rogue Theologian
There's another thread in another section.
Posted as it is....people of strong faith don't have much voice.

So here you go.

Death comes to all.
Billions of copies of a device that can only yield unique spirit on each occasion.....
and some say it ends in dust without continuance.

For those who believe in continuance....here's your thread.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Death is indeed not the end. For as long as time exists our existence is locked in place within the web of time and space. What we are...down to the very very core of our existence, is made of something that cannot be destroyed. It shall "live" on forever and return to "one". A unity within the one and eventually all will meld in the "end" for an eternal peace.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Death is indeed not the end. For as long as time exists our existence is locked in place within the web of time and space. What we are...down to the very very core of our existence, is made of something that cannot be destroyed. It shall "live" on forever and return to "one". A unity within the one and eventually all will meld in the "end" for an eternal peace.

Written like a true believer.
or are you just 'saying'....

Benoni

Death is why we are here. Without the death process God's creation would be like a puppet on a string doing God's will because he has given them everything. God wants sons not servants. The first Adam died, the second Adam overcame death for all

1 Corinthians 15:22-24
http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgclick.php?what=2
http://www.biblegateway.com/bg_versions/bgclick.php?what=222For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.

seeking4truth

Death is only birth into another dimension.

Birth into this world can be painful and the newborn may be traumatised, handicapped or in amazing good health. So it can be at death. Some go easily, almost willingly; some struggle not to go and no one goes back.

Like when we were in the womb we now have very limited understanding of our future life.

When a baby is born often the baby is crying but the family is laughing.
At death it is the family who cries while the one dying looks forward and may be laughing.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I'm guessing as you've declared 'atheistic' as your religion, that this peace in the 'end' does not include us (as consciousness) or anything conscious. (I hope I'm wrong in this assumption.)

If so, who is there to 'know' about this peace. It's all just a bunch of unfeeling, unthinking matter. 'Peace' or 'Chaos' are irrelevant without an observer.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Written like a true believer.
or are you just 'saying'....

I'm guessing as you've declared 'atheistic' as your religion, that this peace in the 'end' does not include us (as consciousness) or anything conscious. (I hope I'm wrong in this assumption.)

If so, who is there to 'know' about this peace. It's all just a bunch of unfeeling, unthinking matter. 'Peace' or 'Chaos' are irrelevant without an observer.
"
"

Death is not the end. As we are literally the universe. Our particles and matter doesn't simply go "poof". Everything that we are continues on. My atoms will be re-arranged into something else. Every atom in your body was forged in a star and more than likely was used in something else living since the dawn of life. Its a wonderful thing.

Our "moment" in time/space simply doesn't cease either. No matter what we do the past is the past and our present is our present. Currently the future seems to be unstable and contingent upon what we are doing and the choices we make. But the past is solid. At least as far as we know.

Matter cannot be destroyed or created (as far as we know). The mass and our atoms cannot be destroyed (well except by anti-matter but ....yeah)

So in that way we are the universe and simply when we die the part of the universe that is "us" changes into something else. But it doesn't "die" in the fact that we are gone forever.

The "end" is the cold death of the universe when everything (literally everything) in the universe will be so spread out and the energy is spread so thin that the universe reaches absolute zero. When the entire universe reaches absolute zero all atoms stop moving. When nothing moves or "changes" a crucial component of time is gone. Time literally stops and it becomes the end of "time" itself. I can't think of anything more peaceful than an eternal and timeless still.

outhouse

Atheistically
Death comes to all.

True

Billions of copies of a device that can only yield unique spirit on each occasion.....

Too date, a spirit does not exist scientifically.

Too date, spirit lies within mythology.

What is unique, is each persons memories and imagination.

and some say it ends in dust without continuance.

That they do.

As there is nothing that suggest any different with credibility.

For those who believe in continuance....here's your thread

How so?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
For as long as time exists our existence is locked ….

My point was who is this ‘our’ in the above quote. If by ‘us’ you are referring to the atoms that get ingested and excreted and are part of our body for a short time, then so what I say; that’s not ‘us’. There is no ‘us’ worth calling ‘us’ without consciousness.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Death denial is too common. How can you save a life? You can delay death, extend life, but save a life?

nazz

Doubting Thomas

:yes:

I'm being reborn all the time in every sentient creature

nazz

Doubting Thomas
"
"

Death is not the end. As we are literally the universe. Our particles and matter doesn't simply go "poof". Everything that we are continues on. My atoms will be re-arranged into something else. Every atom in your body was forged in a star and more than likely was used in something else living since the dawn of life. Its a wonderful thing.

Our "moment" in time/space simply doesn't cease either. No matter what we do the past is the past and our present is our present. Currently the future seems to be unstable and contingent upon what we are doing and the choices we make. But the past is solid. At least as far as we know.

Matter cannot be destroyed or created (as far as we know). The mass and our atoms cannot be destroyed (well except by anti-matter but ....yeah)

So in that way we are the universe and simply when we die the part of the universe that is "us" changes into something else. But it doesn't "die" in the fact that we are gone forever.

The "end" is the cold death of the universe when everything (literally everything) in the universe will be so spread out and the energy is spread so thin that the universe reaches absolute zero. When the entire universe reaches absolute zero all atoms stop moving. When nothing moves or "changes" a crucial component of time is gone. Time literally stops and it becomes the end of "time" itself. I can't think of anything more peaceful than an eternal and timeless still.

OK, not exactly what I had in mind! :D

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
I honestly do not know what happens after death and I have absolutely no beliefs surrounding it either.

This is the only thing that stops me from being a 'full Hindu'.

I don't believe in Karma or Reincarnation....it's not to say that I won't believe it either...I honestly don't know and don't really want to know...

All I can say, is it's just difficult for me to believe/accept that there's anything after this and yes, I realise it makes everything I do totally pointless...but I like to think not.

If there is an afterlife, at least I will be happy knowing I pray to Shiva in this life, so that should count for something.

I used to be afraid of death and had a few 'scary moments'. I have also had numerous bad anxiety/panic attacks, where I felt my chest get squeezed and I couldn't breathe, my head felt like exploding, my legs turn to jelly etc and I think 'this is it...I am gonna die now' and I used to really freak out about it because I was very scared.

Since worshiping Shiva, He has shown me that death is only a very scary thing if you fight it....it's like drowning. At first, it is scary...but then you can find a 'comfy place' to just relax and 'enjoy it'...I realised then, I could just fully relax/immerse myself into Shiva when that time came and He would do the rest because I fully love and trust in Him.

Now, I don't fear death anymore and since then, I haven't had a single panic attack either.

I mean, they start up...but as soon as I realise what is going on and say "oh, hi there, it's you again...whatever you gotta do, just make it quick because I am busy.." It soon just dies after that when it realises I am no longer 'playing the game'.

Last edited:

Benoni

I honestly do not know what happens after death and I have absolutely no beliefs surrounding it either.

This is the only thing that stops me from being a 'full Hindu'.

I don't believe in Karma or Reincarnation....it's not to say that I won't believe it either...I honestly don't know and don't really want to know...

All I can say, is it's just difficult for me to believe/accept that there's anything after this and yes, I realise it makes everything I do totally pointless...but I like to think not.

If there is an afterlife, at least I will be happy knowing I pray to Shiva in this life, so that should count for something.

I used to be afraid of death and had a few 'scary moments'. I have also had numerous bad anxiety/panic attacks, where I felt my chest get squeezed and I couldn't breathe, my head felt like exploding, my legs turn to jelly etc and I think 'this is it...I am gonna die now' and I used to really freak out about it because I was very scared.

Since worshiping Shiva, He has shown me that death is only a very scary thing if you fight it....it's like drowning. At first, it is scary...but then you can find a 'comfy place' to just relax and 'enjoy it'...I realised then, I could just fully relax/immerse myself into Shiva when that time came and He would do the rest because I fully love and trust in Him.

Now, I don't fear death anymore and since then, I haven't had a single panic attack either.

I mean, they start up...but as soon as I realise what is going on and say "oh, hi there, it's you again...whatever you gotta do, just make it quick because I am busy.." It soon just dies after that when it realises I am no longer 'playing the game'.
Death according to the Bible is why God put us here. The sin of Adam brought death to all both spiirtually and physically.

Without the death process we would all be God's puppets doing his will.

it is the process of death God is after.

NobodyYouKnow

Misanthropist
Death according to the Bible is why God put us here. The sin of Adam brought death to all both spiirtually and physically.

Without the death process we would all be God's puppets doing his will.

it is the process of death God is after.
Yeah, like I said...it's one of those things that will 'happen eventually', so why worry about it now? That's how I think of it...or rather don't think of it.

I figure, why live one's whole life in total fear of death and the hereafter? That just seems counter-productive to me.

....but then again, I am just 'God's puppet' doing 'His Will'...so maybe that is why I cannot see this.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think that one task in life is preparation for death.
I was close to death once, it left me with a strong desire to be ready.

Benoni

Yeah, like I said...it's one of those things that will 'happen eventually', so why worry about it now? That's how I think of it...or rather don't think of it.

I figure, why live one's whole life in total fear of death and the hereafter? That just seems counter-productive to me.

....but then again, I am just 'God's puppet' doing 'His Will'...so maybe that is why I cannot see this.
Because a true believer/overcomer seeks, ask and knock and knows what God is trying to say.