• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear theist, what ever your theology is, is God all loving?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Which verse? What's the scripture? Direct unambiguous verses?

This will be a good exercise. This is the ideal platform to ask such a question and understand where in what scripture it directly says with no hanky panky that God is all loving.

I ask this because this "All Loving" thing is repeatedly said by very many people from most theologies with a super big God like the so called Abrahamic faiths. No disrespect intended. This truth bearer kind of statement should typically be analytical, not preached. As in a verse says that "If you sin and don't repent God still loves you" He will always love you no matter what. You will never be in hell, you will never suffer consequences to your sins. repent or not you are still taken care of. That type of statement shows God is all loving as an example. Will really appreciate scriptural quotes without contradiction. ;)

thank you in advance.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

Usually people making these claims, also claim there is no scripture from God. Some of them believe in "ascended masters" and "gods", but they don't see their channeling as central and authority in the way we do about our scripture.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

Some people also argue, since we all not given the same "cards", no justice can be met to judge people, given we are all given different situations. And at the end, life was not a test, but a way of teaching us. Life is more of a lesson to be learned from and there no rewards or consequences to actions, no higher or lower rank, we all return to the source and be given same rank.

I think life as it is is a joke if this is the case.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
In my spiritual-religious system… the Supreme God- who I worship above all others- is the ultimate embodiment of Creation, Destruction, and Divine Order over Primordial Chaos. “Love” is a precious thing, expressed by Man and God(s)… but I would not refer to the Supreme God as a “God of love”, or “all-loving”.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Salam

Additional arguments some people make, they say we can become powerful or weaker, fulfilled and purposeful or lost, but there is no "good and evil" like traditional religions say.

There is harmful actions and beneficial actions, and people who wish to harm others, are mostly harming themselves and need help themselves and be freed from their self-imposed prison.

So compassion is "good", but not in "good and evil" way we are use to with moral judgment.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

This will be a good exercise. This is the ideal platform to ask such a question and understand where in what scripture it directly says with no hanky panky that God is all loving.

I ask this because this "All Loving" thing is repeatedly said by very many people from most theologies with a super big God like the so called Abrahamic faiths. No disrespect intended. This truth bearer kind of statement should typically be analytical, not preached. As in a verse says that "If you sin and don't repent God still loves you" He will always love you no matter what. You will never be in hell, you will never suffer consequences to your sins. repent or not you are still taken care of. That type of statement shows God is all loving as an example. Will really appreciate scriptural quotes without contradiction. ;)

thank you in advance.

No. Othinn is not all loving, although he is the Allfather. And he has loving qualities. But that's not all that's there. Freya, even the Goddess of love herself. Is more then just that, also playing the roles of sorceress, wife, and mother.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

The following is taken from Meher Baba's Discourses - 6th edition available online in PDF form at Books by Baba I'm leaving out a lot of context about levels of love to focus on the request:

Volume I, chapter 20, starting on page 156, discourse entitled "Love":

It is for love that the whole universe sprang into existence and it is for the sake of love that it is kept going.
Love is the reflection of God's unity in the world of duality. It constitutes the entire significance of creation.

and Volume III, Chapter 12, starting on page 175, discourse entitled "God as Infinite Love":

THOSE who try to understand God through the intellect alone,arrive at some cold and dry concept which misses the very essence of the nature of God. It is true that God is infinite knowledge, infinite existence, infinite power and infinite bliss, but God is not understood in His essence until He is also understood as infinite love. In the Beyond State from which the entire universe springs and into which it ultimately merges, God is eternally infinite love.
The sojourn of the soul is a thrilling divine romance in which the lover, who in the beginning is conscious of nothing but emptiness, frustration, superficiality and the gnawing chains of bondage, gradually attains an increasingly fuller and freer expression of love, and ultimately disappears and merges in the divine Beloved to realise the unity of the Lover and the Beloved in the supreme and eternal fact of God as Infinite Love.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

thank you in advance.
Yes God loves you... enough that he will never force anyone into heaven. Hell is where you go if you reject his love.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The following is taken from the Discourses - 6th edition available online in PDF form at Books by Baba I'm leaving out a lot of context about levels of love to focus on the request:

Volume I, chapter 20, starting on page 156, discourse entitled "Love":

It is for love that the whole universe sprang into existence and it is for the sake of love that it is kept going.
Love is the reflection of God's unity in the world of duality. It constitutes the entire significance of creation.

and Volume III, Chapter 12, starting on page 175, discourse entitled "God as Infinite Love":

THOSE who try to understand God through the intellect alone,arrive at some cold and dry concept which misses the very essence of the nature of God. It is true that God is infinite knowledge, infinite existence, infinite power and infinite bliss, but God is not understood in His essence until He is also understood as infinite love. In the Beyond State from which the entire universe springs and into which it ultimately merges, God is eternally infinite love.
The sojourn of the soul is a thrilling divine romance in which the lover, who in the beginning is conscious of nothing but emptiness, frustration, superficiality and the gnawing chains of bondage, gradually attains an increasingly fuller and freer expression of love, and ultimately disappears and merges in the divine Beloved to realise the unity of the Lover and the Beloved in the supreme and eternal fact of God as Infinite Love.

I can agree with these phrases because they can be said by Muslim mystics from an Angle that agrees with hell. But it says nothing about God loving evil people and forgiving their sins. This is what the OP asked.

That God loves you regardless of your sins, and won't punish you.

I'm interested to see direct quotes about that.

danieldemol

Premium Member

thank you in advance.
You ask this of theists, yet we do not all have scripture as @Link pointed out.

In my opinion

danieldemol

Premium Member
Salam

Some people also argue, since we all not given the same "cards", no justice can be met to judge people, given we are all given different situations. And at the end, life was not a test, but a way of teaching us. Life is more of a lesson to be learned from and there no rewards or consequences to actions, no higher or lower rank, we all return to the source and be given same rank.

I think life as it is is a joke if this is the case.
Perhaps life is a joke though, or perhaps God had no part in the material life (the latter being my view).

You are only labelling it to call it a joke. Not explaining anything wrong with that possible outcome.

In my opinion.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

thank you in advance.
That opens up a question as to what do you mean by "all loving" (definition) and who determines what is "all loving".

What I do know is that God is love. 1 John 4:8.

firedragon

Veteran Member
That opens up a question as to what do you mean by "all loving" (definition) and who determines what is "all loving".

What I do know is that God is love. 1 John 4:8.

I have specified; scripture that says "all loving" because people define God as "all loving".

But good good. Thanks for quoting scripture directly.

Last edited:

danieldemol

Premium Member
@firedragon it occurs to me that I have not answered part of the question in the title.

It asks, is God All-Loving?

I haven't really thought about the underlying question in terms of love, but rather in terms of benevolence, however they more or less amount to the same thing.

I see God as ultimately benevolent, not as Omni-benevolent, so since I guess an omnipotent God can't be All-Loving without being Omni-Benevolent I would think of God as ultimately loving, not as All-Loving.

In my opinion.