• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Sikhs and Hindus, how do you see each other?

I am asking this in the wake of recent events. If you are aware, recently many Sikhs, particularly the ones living away from India have been raising their voice for Khalistan again. While in India, major media outlets and political parties are promoting the idea of Hindu-Rashtra.
For me, I'm a Hindu, but I have always had soft corner for Sikhs considering them as our own, since I do not find the teachings of Sikh Gurus to be very different from the teachings of major Hindu saints and gurus. And since the origin of both is in Bharat, Khalistan and Hindu Rashtra, both already exist in their own right already.
Sikhs and Hindus both live throughout the Indian territory, and more often than not, have very close ties.
But these are my opinions, and I'd like to know how others feel about it. Do Sikhs really want a separate country called Khalistan? Or do Hindus really want a separate Hindu-Rashtra? Or is all of this just a mere political drama to create divisions, and if yes, then how can we overcome them and stop them from polluting our society?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Like Salix said you are a Catholic in another forum, I think you are a Muslim.
Sikhs outside India are welcome to make Khalistan at any place in the world they want, USA, Canada, UK or Pakistan (friend of Sikhs).
But they should not try that in India. We will shoo them out.
Hindus do not want Hindu Rashtra. Political dramas will always be there in India, it is a democratic country.
The latest is that Shiromani Akali Dal (the Sikh party) is joining Modi's party for the national elections. They were with us previously also.
If you want a change in society (your location is mentioned as Varanasi), try to defeat Modi in Varanasi.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I am asking this in the wake of recent events. If you are aware, recently many Sikhs, particularly the ones living away from India have been raising their voice for Khalistan again. While in India, major media outlets and political parties are promoting the idea of Hindu-Rashtra.
For me, I'm a Hindu, but I have always had soft corner for Sikhs considering them as our own, since I do not find the teachings of Sikh Gurus to be very different from the teachings of major Hindu saints and gurus. And since the origin of both is in Bharat, Khalistan and Hindu Rashtra, both already exist in their own right already.
Sikhs and Hindus both live throughout the Indian territory, and more often than not, have very close ties.
But these are my opinions, and I'd like to know how others feel about it. Do Sikhs really want a separate country called Khalistan? Or do Hindus really want a separate Hindu-Rashtra? Or is all of this just a mere political drama to create divisions, and if yes, then how can we overcome them and stop them from polluting our society?
I feel this cannot be in the DIR section as it may be something that can be debated.
My two cents is that it is a mistake to think of Sikhs and Hindus as monolithic blocks. So the opinions on these question will differ based on which Sikh or which Hindu you speak to.
My opinion is that religion should not be confused with nation-states. Hinduism does not depend on the existence or non-existence of a nation state called India, and Sikhism also does not depend on whether there exists a Khalistan or not. Religions point to truths that go beyond and negate the time-limited political boundaries and squabbles thereof. One of religions purpose is to elevate and orient the secular space to aim beyond the narrow fields of self or ethnic interests. If religion itself gets mired into such things....as often happens...then we get disaster and suffering.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
If you are aware, recently many Sikhs, particularly the ones living away from India have been raising their voice for Khalistan again.

This situation is one that I do not know much about. I have read about Khalistan supporters in Canada and other parts of the Anglosphere voicing their support for a separate state that would make the Republic of India smaller. What I find peculiar is that the Khalistan supporters are mostly, it seems, outside of India, as you have pointed out.

For me, I'm a Hindu, but I have always had soft corner for Sikhs considering them as our own, since I do not find the teachings of Sikh Gurus to be very different from the teachings of major Hindu saints and gurus.

I am also a Hindu, but I acknowledge Sikhi as a separate, independent religion or panth.

It is apparent to me that the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib are similar to the teachings of many figures in Sant Mat.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This situation is one that I do not know much about. I have read about Khalistan supporters in Canada and other parts of the Anglosphere voicing their support for a separate state that would make the Republic of India smaller. What I find peculiar is that the Khalistan supporters are mostly, it seems, outside of India, as you have pointed out.

I am also a Hindu, but I acknowledge Sikhi as a separate, independent religion or panth.

It is apparent to me that the teachings of Guru Granth Sahib are similar to the teachings of many figures in Sant Mat.
They're outside of India because it's safer to protest, as the foreign governments are out of touch with the actual situation. As long as the western press portrays Modi as the bad guy, this will continue. My city has had to set up a special investigation into extortion. Even here, the overwhelming majority of Sikhs want no part of that.

I feel this cannot be in the DIR section as it may be something that can be debated.
My two cents is that it is a mistake to think of Sikhs and Hindus as monolithic blocks. So the opinions on these question will differ based on which Sikh or which Hindu you speak to.
My opinion is that religion should not be confused with nation-states. Hinduism does not depend on the existence or non-existence of a nation state called India, and Sikhism also does not depend on whether there exists a Khalistan or not. Religions point to truths that go beyond and negate the time-limited political boundaries and squabbles thereof. One of religions purpose is to elevate and orient the secular space to aim beyond the narrow fields of self or ethnic interests. If religion itself gets mired into such things....as often happens...then we get disaster and suffering.
I completely agree with you. Especially when we consider the fact that different religions have co-existed and evolved on this land continuously. Religion is meant to be a way that takes us to the path of unification with the almighty. I would never want that disaster to happen. I hope most people are able to think like you.
Also, since I am still new to this, I am unsure if I should have posted it in some other place. I just felt that since both Hindus and Sikhs come under Dharmic DIR, so I should post it here.

Last edited:
Sikhs are my dharmic brothers and sisters. I've been to a few gurdwaras, and go to many Sikh owned businesses, mostly grocery sores and fabric shops.
Me too. I have even discussed about it in my first thread how the closest girl in my life happened to be a devout Sikh as well. Its extra-ordinary how all the Khalistanis only exist in telecision and political parties, and still they claim that they have millions of supporters in Punjab. Until that Amritpal chapter, I had not even heard anyone talking about Khalistan in real life.
They're outside of India because it's safer to protest, as the foreign governments are out of touch with the actual situation. As long as the western press portrays Modi as the bad guy, this will continue. My city has had to set up a special investigation into extortion. Even here, the overwhelming majority of Sikhs want no part of that.
Maybe western governments are even funding that to keep India's progress in check so that the blunder they committed in siding with China, is not repeated. US, UK and their puppet Canada, are particularly involved in it. What's absolutely despicable is that more often than not, such elements are using the holy sites like Gurudwara to spread their propaganda. I know Punjab has its problems like gang-wars, narcotics, decreasing agricultural productivity, depleted and contaminated water table, lack of employment opportunities etc, but since I live far from Punjab, I'm not aware of present public sentiments regarding this topic.

Yes, almost all of them are from outside India. A few months back, all the news channels were interviewing a Sikh couple who were being harrassed in the UK by these Khalistanis for standing against them. They even showed the channels the bullet shots on their car and house windows. Mother was crying that their daughter was constantly being targeted by these people. Yet, even after several reports, and despite knowing everything , UK police would not take any action against such elements... which raises serious doubts regarding the relationship between the UK administration and these elements.
I do not debate that, of course, Sikhism is a different religion than Hinduism. I was just saying that our major teachings are similar, and we should always stay together like siblings in a family. Afterall, both the religions preach and accept that there can be various paths to unify with the almighty.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
A few months back, all the news channels were interviewing a Sikh couple who were being harrassed in the UK by these Khalistanis for standing against them. They even showed the channels the bullet shots on their car and house windows. Mother was crying that their daughter was constantly being targeted by these people. Yet, even after several reports, and despite knowing everything , UK police would not take any action against such elements... which raises serious doubts regarding the relationship between the UK administration and these elements.

That is terrible. I hope that family is okay and safe now. Hopefully, what happened to them does not destroy their Sikhi.

Regarding the UK police lack of action, I too find that suspicious.

I do not debate that, of course, Sikhism is a different religion than Hinduism. I was just saying that our major teachings are similar, and we should always stay together like siblings in a family. Afterall, both the religions preach and accept that there can be various paths to unify with the almighty.

This is also my view. All of our religions—Hinduism, Jainism, Buddhism, and Sikhi—are dharmic and they co-exist naturally. (Considering that there is no Hindu temple in my area, I visit a Buddhist temple and I don’t feel very out of place.)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Also, since I am still new to this, I am unsure if I should have posted it in some other place. I just felt that since both Hindus and Sikhs come under Dharmic DIR, so I should post it here.
It is not appropriate to post it there too. If politics is involved, a thread should go to political discussions>political debates>Asia-Pacific Politics or International Politics.
IMHO, in Dharmic religions directory, discuss 'dharma' only. However, Sri Guru Nanak was a non-dualist (Advaitist) like me.

IMHO, in Dharmic religions directory, discuss 'dharma' only. However, Sri Guru Nanak was a non-dualist (Advaitist) like me.
Very true. Shri Guru Nanak sahab ji was a great scholar. I have learnt a lot from his teachings. I wish I could read entire Shri Guru Granth Sahib, but I could never find enough time and will. It is also well known that though people call Guru Nanak Sahab ji as the founder of Sikh religion, he never really preached for any religion. Neither did he even want people to identify themselves or others by their religions but by their humane character. He saw humans as humans. And believed that there is one almighty. I absolutely love how he places so much emphasis on the invincible nature of the truth. Even in my agnostic days, these things have positively guided my life.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is also well known that though people call Guru Nanak Sahab ji as the founder of Sikh religion, he never really preached for any religion. Neither did he even want people to identify themselves or others by their religions but by their humane character. He saw humans as humans. And believed that there is one almighty.
It is his followers who do not understand his teachings.
Those who follow 'non-duality', have no or should not have any almighty.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Hindus and Sikhs have no issues with each other. Both visit each others place of worship. Same with other Dharmic religions of Jains and Budhists.

But its sad to see involvement of Government of India in target killing of Sikh activists in west. Mr. Modi is acting like Saudi King.

ajay0

But its sad to see involvement of Government of India in target killing of Sikh activists in west. Mr. Modi is acting like Saudi King.

It is possible that the Sikh activists were targeted due to mistaken identity. It is not correct to jump to conclusions without examining all the facts.

Hate crimes against Muslims and those perceived as Muslims spiked after 9/11. Sikh men grow long beards and wear turbans as a commitment to their faith, and many Americans mistake them for Muslims.

Reports of incidents in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 and concerns that hate crimes would rise prompted the founding of the Sikh Coalition, which has grown into the largest Sikh advocacy and civil rights organization in America. In the first month after 9/11, the group documented more than 300 cases of violence and discrimination against Sikhs in America.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Currently, in my Canadian city, there are 17 cases of extortion being investigated within the Sikh community. Sikh businessmen are targeted (by radical Sikhs) and arson is the common threat. A similar thing happened during the Sri Lankan war, where representatives of the Tamil Tigers used extortion to help fund the civil war. Groups seeking independence often can work 'better' outside their own country. There are always two sides to every story. I don't trust my Canadian government to get a handle on this.

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Do Sikhs really want a separate country called Khalistan? Or do Hindus really want a separate Hindu-Rashtra? Or is all of this just a mere political drama to create divisions, and if yes, then how can we overcome them and stop them from polluting our society?
Majority Sikhs in Panjab don' t want Khalistan. I think its same for Hindu Rashtra. Country based on religion is a stupid and failed Idea.

Its not easy for the Sikhs who escaped genocide in 80s, 90s and settled in west to forget those days. Indian govt should address these issues instead of sponsoring their target killings.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You sure of that? Or it was a gang fight?
Its not easy for the Sikhs who escaped genocide in 80s, 90s and settled in west to forget those days. Indian govt should address these issues instead of sponsoring their target killings.
Of course, Hindu Rashtra is a stupid idea (with some 200 million Muslims in India). They are not going anywhere. But I think various Governments of India have addressed the Sikh issues better than the issues of displaced Kashmiri Hindus.

Last edited: