• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dear Church: here's why people are really leaving you

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
He makes some very good points. I dont think he quite pinpointed the real problem though. People are spiritually hungry...and the church cant fill them.

Thats why when people walk out of the church doors, nothing in their life changes. Their spirit is still troubled. There is no spiritual healing.

A Vestigial Mote

I agree that there are many good points made within the article. The "belief as entertainment" is a big one that has been driving me nuts lately - at services I have attended I see little nods by pastor/speaker to the musicians of the group to come up on stage and play some melodic nothing-ness as the back-drop to whatever they want to say next. Like they are trying to create a "movie-esque" moment and, seemingly, grant credence to their words. Worst is when they do so to the speeches geared toward trying to squeeze a little more out of the congregation for the monetary offering. It is exactly these types of moments that make me feel distanced, and I can't help but expect that these types of things affect others with the same sorts of feelings.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Which church is this? Some megachurch in the exurbs? That doesn't apply to all churches. The services they describe are nothing like the High Masses I attend at my cathedral.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
What is described in the article, while very true of most of Christendom isn't anything near like the
place I go for spiritual food.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
He makes some very good points. I dont think he quite pinpointed the real problem though. People are spiritually hungry...and the church cant fill them.

Thats why when people walk out of the church doors, nothing in their life changes. Their spirit is still troubled. There is no spiritual healing.
The Church certainly is capable of feeding them spiritually. The problem is that the church doesn't feed this particular generation spiritually, because it won't engage meaningfully with them.