• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dealing With Biblical Contradictions

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I dont interpret, i read the words as written

Btw .just found this new thread you may be interested in

No Wonder the Bible is Anybody's Guess!
Yes... I love it. It doesn't look complicated at all and surely that list is not complete.

For example, I noticed that the NASB wasn't listed - to quote:

"Special attention was given to the rendering of verb tenses to give the English reader a rendering as close as possible to the sense of the original Greek and Hebrew texts."

What is the New American Standard Bible (NASB)?

About as close you can get it if you don't read Hebrew or Greek. Have you read the Bible with an open mind?

74x12

Then you have Young's literal translation:

What is Young's Literal Translation (YLT)?

So if you take the various literal translation and see them side by side, you can get the gist of what God wants to share with the reader.
Young's is good although has some flaws; as they all do. Perhaps the translator(Robert Young) was very concerned with numerology apparently. But whatever; that's not necessarily even wrong. It's mostly a good translation.

You could try the "modern literal version" if you like. Which is based off of Young's but with modern wordage. However, I didn't think it was perfect either.

Modern Literal Version Bible Official Site

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No... answered your question. Ignoring?

You have not proven the earth is round, Eratosthenes showed that by measurement and observation, in fact them bible says it is flat on several occasions.

And what has this to do with the discussion?

DNA : Deoxyribonucleic acid. But you think god organising WW2 to answer a prophesy to give the Hebrews some land? Ok, if thats what you think

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes... I love it. It doesn't look complicated at all and surely that list is not complete.

For example, I noticed that the NASB wasn't listed - to quote:

"Special attention was given to the rendering of verb tenses to give the English reader a rendering as close as possible to the sense of the original Greek and Hebrew texts."

What is the New American Standard Bible (NASB)?

About as close you can get it if you don't read Hebrew or Greek. Have you read the Bible with an open mind?

So now you are referring to a specific bible.. my case is closed

Edit : no original NT exists and there are differences between modern bibles and the oldest complete NT, the codex Sinaiticus
So how do you know its as close as you can get?

Last edited:

Kenny

Premium Member
Young's is good although has some flaws; as they all do. Perhaps the translator(Robert Young) was very concerned with numerology apparently. But whatever; that's not necessarily even wrong. It's mostly a good translation.

You could try the "modern literal version" if you like. Which is based off of Young's but with modern wordage. However, I didn't think it was perfect either.

Modern Literal Version Bible Official Site
"perfect", of course, would be Hebrew and Greek. But again, as I noted in John 3:16, what difference did it really make? Sometimes "perfect" is in the eye of the beholder :)

Kenny

Premium Member
So now you are referring to a specific bible.. my case is closed

Edit : no original NT exists and there are differences between modern bibles and the oldest complete NT, the codex Sinaiticus
So how do you know its as close as you can get?
Documents: age of documents / amounts / variances. 99.5% accuracy is as close as it needs to be.

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 7.00.25 AM.png

And then we have: a fragment of the gospel of John 29 years from the original writing

In addition, there are over 19,000 copies in the Syriac, Latin, Coptic, and Aramaic languages. The total supporting New Testament manuscript base is over 24,000.

2ndpillar

You have not proven the earth is round, Eratosthenes showed that by measurement and observation, in fact them bible says it is flat on several occasions.

And what has this to do with the discussion?

DNA : Deoxyribonucleic acid. But you think god organising WW2 to answer a prophesy to give the Hebrews some land? Ok, if thats what you think

The Balfour Declaration, giving the Jews an opening into Judea, followed WW1, not WW2. WW2 simply set up the return of Judah/Jew, and the restoration of Jerusalem (Joel 3:1). The house of Israel still remains scattered "among the nations" (Ezekiel 36:24).

ChristineM

Premium Member
The Balfour Declaration, giving the Jews an opening into Judea, followed WW1, not WW2. WW2 simply set up the return of Judah/Jew, and the restoration of Jerusalem (Joel 3:1). The house of Israel still remains scattered "among the nations" (Ezekiel 36:24).

So nothing about the shape of earth

Nothing about deviation from the discussion

Isreal was formed in 1948 after WW2

The balfour agreement was controversial, america favoured the agreement but would not act without arab agreement. Britain who held the colonial mandate opposed it. Not until the UN adopted resolution 181 and its implementation in 1948 did isreal exist.