• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Deadline 2030

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Yup. People hate truth and would rather believe comforting lies that nothing is happening. It's like sightseeing on the shoreline when a tsunami is about to roll in.

But I'm seeing signs that business is smarter and realizes, at least to some degree, that it saves money and is good business to reduce emissions. Profits go up when sound science is used to reduce costs by adopting pollution-reducing measures.

Yes, many businesses and even the military recognize the truth of climate change. Of course the businesses that have a direct financial interest (coal, oil, etc.) will continue to spin things.

Regiomontanus

It is what it is. Small steps taken by many will help.

Yes, every little bit helps! Though I think (and this latest IPCC report stresses this) that major structural changes are needed. But what is needed and what will actually happen are of course two different things.

Regiomontanus

As I see it, economies are simply too dependent on energy. There's little chance of changing that. So you shutdown economies put folks out of work and increase the level of poverty, since there isn't enough resources to take care of folks the the poor will die of. The rich folks will be fine.

Or you keep the economy going and climate change kills off the poorer folks. The rich people will be fine.

The only hope really is for scientists to stop worrying about politics, get off their backsides and come up with solutions. Either come up with a energy source which eliminates greenhouse gas or come up with a way of cleaning up greenhouse gas.

Of course this would mean the world populations will be able to continue to grow to the point where we strip the earth bare of resources anyway.

So maybe it's for the best things keep going the way they are. Unless you think there aren't enough folks on the planet already.

Throwing our hands up in the air and just saying we can't do anything - business as usual full steam ahead - is just what Exon-Mobil and their ilk are hoping for.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, every little bit helps! Though I think (and this latest IPCC report stresses this) that major structural changes are needed. But what is needed and what will actually happen are of course two different things.

Humans are ecological generalists - they're for the most part capable of adapting to whatever changes occur in whatever direction they occur. The species isn't in danger of extinction. The same can't be said for tens and thousands of other species on this planet, but this too is the way of things. It's distressing that the legacy of this species will be a mass extinction event and a layer of garbage in the geologic record. Change will be forced where it isn't voluntary, one way or another.

Regiomontanus

Humans are ecological generalists - they're for the most part capable of adapting to whatever changes occur in whatever direction they occur. The species isn't in danger of extinction. The same can't be said for tens and thousands of other species on this planet, but this too is the way of things. It's distressing that the legacy of this species will be a mass extinction event and a layer of garbage in the geologic record. Change will be forced where it isn't voluntary, one way or another.

I agree, humans will not go extinct due to climate change (at least not directly). And some non-human species will adapt. But most will not be able to.

Trees Are Migrating West to Escape Climate Change

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Nah, just weather fluctuations...what do thousands of scientists know? After all they still believe in that other fraud, evolution! ;)

So thats where ive been going wrong, believing the facts.. well woulda believe it???

Regiomontanus

Ok, what can we do? What's your plan?

Hello. The question is what is it that we can't do. There is no technical limit to what we could do. Radical transformation is possible in all areas of our economy (including energy, transportation, agriculture, etc.). But the will of most people in the west is not there and certainly we have no leadership at the top (Trumps wants to 'revive' the coal industry!).

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Hello. The question is what is it that we can't do. There is no technical limit to what we could do. Radical transformation is possible in all areas of our economy (including energy, transportation, agriculture, etc.). But the will of most people in the west is not there and certainly we have no leadership at the top (Trumps wants to 'revive' the coal industry!).

What we can't do is we can't go back. Once greenhouse gas is in the atmosphere it's there to stay for at least 1000 years. Even if we were to completely eliminate greenhouse gas emission we won't be able to stop climate change. There are so many sources of greenhouse gas unless we eliminate humans and many animals we are going to continue to add to it.

What we need IMO is scientists to focus on cleaning up greenhouse gas.
Carbon Dioxide Removal / Greenhouse Gas Removal

As you say, the will of most people is they got to work, support themselves and their families. Kind of a basic necessity for most people.

Yes there is a lot that can be done to solve this, blaming Trump and folks trying to make a living isn't really one of them.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Go ahead and attack David Evans, but you have called me metathesiophobic. You say it is easy to ignore that climate change science is true. No it is not... it is much harder to be in my shoes denying it when the thought of my post being irresponsible enough to jeopardize humanity is always present. It is also unpopular to be on my side. I have simply followed the science in my post as well as I could to reach this conclusion.

You say I follow Aliens and I'm not sure if you said I don't believe in the holocaust. If that's what you're saying about me and the holocaust then no in that 'true Israelite' thread that's not what I meant at all. As for Aliens I've seen several flying saucers and think I've seen one (Alien).

Lastly, my working memory IQ is 148 so I can consider things most of you can't.

Where's Audie to criticize me?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Go ahead and attack David Evans,
That is easy to do, because David Evans argument against Climate Change is full of more holes than a kitchen sieve as cited.

. . . . but you have called me metathesiophobic.

That I did not take seriously, but yes sound accurate science is important to me.

You say it is easy to ignore that climate change science is true. No it is not... it is much harder to be in my shoes denying it when the thought of my post being irresponsible enough to jeopardize humanity is always present. It is also unpopular to be on my side. I have simply followed the science in my post as well as I could to reach this conclusion.

The science in your post by David Evans is not science. David and his sidekick Mz Nova are not scientists.

You say I follow Aliens and I'm not sure if you said I don't believe in the holocaust. If that's what you're saying about me and the holocaust then no in that 'true Israelite' thread that's not what I meant at all. As for Aliens I've seen several flying saucers and think I've seen one (Alien).

The belief in the Holocaust was a maybe error on my part, but your previous posts and this one you do believe in Aliens, and as I remember you believe humans are descendant from Aliens.

Lastly, my working memory IQ is 148 so I can consider things most of you can't.

I do not consider IQ a measure of useful intelligence. Selective memory and logic are problematic fallible human virtues.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Nah, just weather fluctuations...what do thousands of scientists know? After all they still believe in that other fraud, evolution! ;)

Sarcasm?, paranoia?, alien conspiracy?,religious delusions of 'truth?,'

or as one evangelist proclaimed, "If Global Warming is true, than God is responsible, and it has a purpose."
or all of the above.

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
That is easy to do, because David Evans argument against Climate Change is full of more holes than a kitchen sieve as cited.
OK then go ahead and post them.

The belief in the Holocaust was a maybe error on my part, but your previous posts and this one you do believe in Aliens, and as I remember you believe humans are descendant from Aliens.
Yes, I still believe from a scientific perspective, using astrobiology, that the Drake equation trumps abiogenesis. Have not seen anything on religiousforums to contradict that.

I do not consider IQ a measure of useful intelligence. Selective memory and logic are problematic fallible human virtues.
Then why is it used by Colleges to assume who will do well?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
OK then go ahead and post them.

I believe they already have been posted, but I will do it again if necessary.

Yes, I still believe from a scientific perspective, using astrobiology, that the Drake equation trumps abiogenesis. Have not seen anything on religiousforums to contradict that.

Then why is it used by Colleges to assume who will do well?

Today most colleges do not

From: https://www.quora.com/Why-arent-IQ-tests-used-for-college-admissions

Julie Gurner
, Doc of Psychology
Answered May 2, 2016 · Author has 3k answers and 12.4m answer views

"IQ tests aren't used for college admissions because they are not a good predictor of performance.

You can have a lot of intellectual potential, but what you do with that potential, will likely have more to do with ambition, drive, motivation, resilience, and other personality and dispositional factors.

If colleges really wanted accurate predictors of college performers, they would just use high school grades. Recent past performance is a far better indicator of future performance than some ridiculous SAT test which could be seen as quite biased. If you can spend a couple of thousand, take an SAT prep class, and do better - all it tells you is that your parents have enough money to help you inflate your score...

High school grades are likely one of the best predictors out there, but testing companies don't make a lot of money pushing that one."

The simple ability to memorize a great deal, is not good measure of functioning intelligence in college nor the real world.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
"IQ tests aren't used for college admissions because they are not a good predictor of performance.

You can have a lot of intellectual potential, but what you do with that potential, will likely have more to do with ambition, drive, motivation, resilience, and other personality and dispositional factors.

If colleges really wanted accurate predictors of college performers, they would just use high school grades. Recent past performance is a far better indicator of future performance than some ridiculous SAT test which could be seen as quite biased. If you can spend a couple of thousand, take an SAT prep class, and do better - all it tells you is that your parents have enough money to help you inflate your score...

High school grades are likely one of the best predictors out there, but testing companies don't make a lot of money pushing that one."

The simple ability to memorize a great deal, is not good measure of functioning intelligence in college nor the real world.

Thanks, then what am I supposed to do with my IQ though?