• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dawkins and Wendy Wright debate.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Sunstone and PW's suggestions are quite good. :yes:
I guess it depends on who would be considered Dawkins' intellectual equal. He comes across as convincing when it comes to issues of evolution, but despite my agreeing with him I think some of his philosophical arguments kind of touch the veneer at best.
Off the top of my head I know Dawkins has debated Francis Collins and interviewed George Coyne. I'd consider them both pretty good in the intelligence department though Coyne strikes me as smarter and far more eloquent and charming than Collins.
[youtube]po0ZMfkSNxc[/youtube]

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Sunstone and PW's suggestions are quite good. :yes:
I guess it depends on who would be considered Dawkins' intellectual equal.
Good point. I meant someone comparable in intelligence and inquisitiveness, not area of expertise.

IOW, while I sincerely doubt either of my suggestions (Smith or Sinkford) could compete with Dawkins on the topic of evolution, I would consider them his intellectual equals nonetheless.

I'm a bit busy for a vid atm, but I'll bookmark yours for later. Thanks for linking it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You know, I like Dawkins on evolution a bit better than I like him on the ontological existence of god question. Seems to me he gets into depth more on evolution than on god.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You know, I like Dawkins on evolution a bit better than I like him on the ontological existence of god question. Seems to me he gets into depth more on evolution than on god.
Well, sure. He's a biologist.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It's almost spooky how often we agree. :p

wa:do

Yeah. And what's weird about it, Wolf, is that some of the issues we don't agree on are issues that in normal people (unlike you and me) tend to indicate they won't agree on much of anything. We probably should just turn ourselves into the authorities now before they come get us anyway.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
This is kind of off topic and I think we've both mentioned this in the past on RF but it always strikes me how misplaced the accusations are that Dawkins is arrogant, vitriolic or antagonistic when debating. In the dozens of interviews and discussions I've seen with him he comes across as soft spoken, kind and polite.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This is kind of off topic and I think we've both mentioned this in the past on RF but it always strikes me how misplaced the accusations are that Dawkins is arrogant, vitriolic or antagonistic when debating. In the dozens of interviews and discussions I've seen with him he comes across as soft spoken, kind and polite.

I only wish I was as soft spoken, kind and polite as he is. He's a damn good role model for a gentleman.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
In person, yeah. What little I've seen of his writings is very different.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I try... but I admit I'm getting worn around the edges... I'm nowhere near what I used to be.

Pshaw! You're one of the last people I'd think of when it comes to posts as "worn around the edges." Your calm and rational debates with creationists is beyond impressive.
Anyway, I'm going to start posting in the attire of a gentleman: a monocle and a tophat. :p

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I prefer my fedora and brainy specs. :cool:

brainy_specs_portrait.sized.jpg

The Neo Nerd

You know i honestly think you guys should apologise to the mentally deficient paraplegic kittens. The comparison is just plain mean.

I couldn't finish watching the whole clip it was just truly horrible.

This chick sounds like one of the air head hippy girls that has smoked far too much pot. She even has the unfocused look in her eyes.

Smoke

Done here.
Which side of the debate do you agree with mostly and why?
I could have answered that question even without watching the video, and sure enough, Wright is just recycling the same old tired creationist nonsense. She's not merely mistaken. She's blatantly, flagrantly, extravagantly dishonest, and therefore an excellent spokeswoman for the CWA.

Wendy Wright: What a person believes about how human beings were created shapes what they believe about human beings. And if we believe that human beings were created out of love -- that is, by a loving Creator -- and has given each one of us not only a material body but a spirit and a soul, we then are more likely to treat other people with respect and dignity.​

This is demonstrably false. In fact, Concerned Women for America provide an excellent example of how this is quite often the precise opposite of the truth.

Agreed. I'd like to see Dawkins debate a believer who was his intellectual equal someday. Preferably one with a liberal theology. Huston Smith, perhaps, or my own Rev. Dr. Bill Sinkford.....
Huston Smith is a person with great knowledge of religion who has personally practiced a number of them, but I'm skeptical about whether he's actually what I'd call a believer. Dawkins certainly couldn't debate either Smith or Sinkford about subjects like evolution vs. creationism, but I think it would be interesting to see him debate Sinkford on the subject of moderate religion.