• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dawkins and Wendy Wright debate.

Renji

Hmmm. Interesting. The next step for them would be facing each other in a boxing ring:D

I think it's no fair. Dawkins should face someone who can give good arguments....

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
It seems daft to me that (as far as I'm aware) you can study the bible as a historical text, philosophical text etc...but you can't treat it as the thing that it actually is in the USA which is a religious text.
In the U.S. you can study the Bible as a historical, theological, or literary text all you want in college courses or in private schools. Public schools have to follow the First Amendment and cannot allow any form of state sanctioned religious education.

I have no problem with religion being taught in schools. Even if you don't believe in it, so many people in the world do, and you have to understand what it is they believe as it's still such a big part of the human culture.
I could accept high school elective courses that study religions from an anthropological or literary perspective.

I just hate the thought of it being taught in science classes. Its setting up bad habits for the scientists of the future.
Sure, religion has no place in science classes.
cartel,century,fight,poster,propaganda,religion,retro,science,tipografia,typography-b06d4ac95e208cb71ea7ee29bd2996ce_m.jpg

RedOne77

Nepenthe,

Public schools can have students read the Bible in English class; junior year I even had to read the sermon "Sinners in the hand of an angry God". In history I head to memorize the five pillars of Islam, understand what the four noble truths and the eightfold-path were in Buddhism and understand some things about Hinduism.

I think we should have elective courses in high school that look at religions from different angles, yet we cannot fully understand history, art, culture or literature without knowing some things about the different religions of the world. Electives are good, but we also need to have some religious education in core courses that everyone takes.

PennyKay

Physicist
Nepenthe,

Public schools can have students read the Bible in English class; junior year I even had to read the sermon "Sinners in the hand of an angry God". In history I head to memorize the five pillars of Islam, understand what the four noble truths and the eightfold-path were in Buddhism and understand some things about Hinduism.

I think we should have elective courses in high school that look at religions from different angles, yet we cannot fully understand history, art, culture or literature without knowing some things about the different religions of the world. Electives are good, but we also need to have some religious education in core courses that everyone takes.

Very true :)

PennyKay

Physicist
Yes you can teach about the Bible in High School, in the context of literature and Religions in general in the context of culture and history.

Statement on The Bible in Public Schools: A First Amendment Guide | American Civil Liberties Union

wa:do

Again, even as an atheist, I have absolutely no problem of religion being taught in schools as its such as huge part of society all over the world, as long as its taught in religious education lessons opposed to science lessons.

In English state schools, you HAVE to have science AND religious education lessons up until the age of 16. During my time at school, I had no problem with this, even though I've never believed in religion, I always found it interesting to learn why others do and what it is they actually believe in. Be it Christianity, Judaism, Islam...

Its of great importance to learn and realize what others believe in, and what some people would give their lives for. So long as its taught in the appropriate lessons/environment.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Again, even as an atheist, I have absolutely no problem of religion being taught in schools as its such as huge part of society all over the world, as long as its taught in religious education lessons opposed to science lessons.

In English state schools, you HAVE to have science AND religious education lessons up until the age of 16. During my time at school, I had no problem with this, even though I've never believed in religion, I always found it interesting to learn why others do and what it is they actually believe in. Be it Christianity, Judaism, Islam...

Its of great importance to learn and realize what others believe in, and what some people would give their lives for. So long as its taught in the appropriate lessons/environment.
Agreed, one of my favorite and most memorable classes was on "non-western" history and culture. We covered the major world religions and how they shaped the history of the world.
Unfortunately, many people in the USA don't understand how and when discussion of religion is appropriate... and sadly this has led to a lot of people simply shunning the topic altogether.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Nepenthe,

Oops... I too had some religious studies in High School- I should have emphasized the state sanctioned part of my post: "Public schools have to follow the First Amendment and cannot allow any form of state sanctioned religious education."
I like allowing students access to religious literature and history; it just gets sticky and contentious when it crosses the thin line into advocating specific religious beliefs. I had an Old Testament as literature class that I loved. Easy A. :D

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Agreed, one of my favorite and most memorable classes was on "non-western" history and culture. We covered the major world religions and how they shaped the history of the world.
Unfortunately, many people in the USA don't understand how and when discussion of religion is appropriate... and sadly this has led to a lot of people simply shunning the topic altogether.

It wasn't High School but college where I had one of the coolest classes on religion and history as an anthropology undergrad: Native American Religions. My professor was Klamath but a practicing Zoroastrian. His class was... colorful. He was both educational and entertaining. ;)