• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am a woman and if a man asks me out on a date I think that he should pay for it.

My opinion about paying is if I ask anyone to go somewhere I think I should pay their way.

If I agree to an invite might it be ok if I just let him pay every time that I am asked on a date? In your opinion.

Of course, if we want more than one date and I finally ask him out I think I might say, "this will be my treat".

What do you think?
First date, the person asking should pay. Sooner or later it would be best if you altered in paying. One cannot advocate for equal pay, equal rights, etc, and then expect the man to always pay.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I am a woman and if a man asks me out on a date I think that he should pay for it.

My opinion about paying is if I ask anyone to go somewhere I think I should pay their way.

If I agree to an invite might it be ok if I just let him pay every time that I am asked on a date? In your opinion.

Of course, if we want more than one date and I finally ask him out I think I might say, "this will be my treat".

What do you think?
That seems rather old-fashioned to me, but I am not American and these things are culture-dependent. As a man, I would of course try to pay, but I would find it a bit odd if the woman did not make some attempt, which I could courteously decline. Ideally of course she might suggest she would pay the next time - in which case I'd know I was off to a good start. And then we would alternate, more or less.

Nowadays, given the earning power of the sexes is equal or nearly so, I think these old protocols need to be updated (hahaha).

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member

What do you think?

In Italy we are more pragmatic...
If the two people on a date are both students, and live on a tight budget for example, each of them pays for themselves ( it is called the Roman way, here :p)...

If the man is rich...it is right he pays for both.:p

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If the two people on a date are both students, and live on a tight budget for example, each of them pays for themselves ( it is called the Roman way, here :p)...

In the U.S. that is called "Dutch treat". Sorry if any from the Netherlands are offended.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

What do you think?

I would, at least on a first date, suggest the one doing the asking pays.

Sure that could give the impression the payer is paying for more than just dinner, that needs sorting out from the start.

I should add that its always polite to ask about splitting the bill. Or insisting on paying for the wine.

dianaiad

pfft not in Cali. Most females I've dated if they were sexually attracted to me I'm getting laid. If not on the first encounter definitely scond encounter and that is 98.9999% of the last 20 years of dating. Most women have set rules for themselves and have broken them every single time with me so I disbelieve any woman that sets these rules.

My daughters are not going out with you.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Nope. I just know my daughters.

Um, if you say so. You act like I'm going to blatantly say "hey you're gonna get me laid" I do have tact. I'm really a nice guy outside the net and I'm fun I don't intend to have intercourse it just happens but I'm respectful I'm not some jerk out here but hey (shrug).

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I would, at least on a first date, suggest the one doing the asking pays.

Sure that could give the impression the payer is paying for more than just dinner, that needs sorting out from the start.

I should add that its always polite to ask about splitting the bill. Or insisting on paying for the wine.

I like your thinking Christine....I think most considerate women think like this. If I'm paying and she cop the drinks or tip is fine with me it's considerate.

dianaiad

Um, if you say so. You act like I'm going to blatantly say "hey you're gonna get me laid" I do have tact. I'm really a nice guy outside the net and I'm fun I don't intend to have intercourse it just happens but I'm respectful I'm not some jerk out here but hey (shrug).
Oh, I'm sure.

It's just that I don't think my daughters would think you're 'all that,' is all.

Mind you, I think they'd LIKE you just fine, but they are both pushing forty and haven't been really p (hey...the 'see' button on my keyboard isn't working! It's amazing just how mu h one an type without using a '' ' , isn't it? ) ANY way, my daughters are pi ky. They've managed to make it to where they are without having sex with everybody and sundry, and, er.....so did I.

On the other hand, if marriage is an option.....but no. Not then either.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
pfft not in Cali. Most females I've dated if they were sexually attracted to me I'm getting laid. If not on the first encounter definitely scond encounter and that is 98.9999% of the last 20 years of dating. Most women have set rules for themselves and have broken them every single time with me so I disbelieve any woman that sets these rules.
Well, Goodie for you.:rolleyes:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Oh, I'm sure.

It's just that I don't think my daughters would think you're 'all that,' is all.

Mind you, I think they'd LIKE you just fine, but they are both pushing forty and haven't been really p (hey...the 'see' button on my keyboard isn't working! It's amazing just how mu h one an type without using a '' ' , isn't it? ) ANY way, my daughters are pi ky. They've managed to make it to where they are without having sex with everybody and sundry, and, er.....so did I.

On the other hand, if marriage is an option.....but no. Not then either.

Is your keyboard attached to a PC? If so you can hold down the alt key, type 99 on the numeric keypad then release the alt key.

Not sure it works for other machines

Here is a full list of alt codes
Special Characters — Alt Keyboard Sequences

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I think that's pretty much how it goes in practice around here, too. If two people like each other and want to spend time with each other, then the question of "who pays" should be more a question of practicality than some kind of ritualistic tradition.

In practice, I think more people are pragmatic about it more often than not, and it seems the only time it becomes an issue is when people talk about it in the abstract, such as in dating columns, social media, etc.

Some people still consider that "it's the man's duty" to pay on dates, just because it's traditional and how things have generally been. The idea that "whoever does the asking should do the paying" might also be questionable, since it's also "the man's duty" to do the asking.

But a chief complaint nowadays is that men aren't fulfilling their "duties." I've heard some people lament that "chivalry is dead" and similar complaints. I've heard women complain about guys who are cheap, who don't want to pay on dates.

On the other hand, there are some guys who absolutely insist on paying - as it would be seen as emasculating and quite embarrassing for a man to let a woman pay on a date. But such an attitude would be deemed "sexist" and "chauvinistic."

dianaiad

Is your keyboard attached to a PC? If so you can hold down the alt key, type 99 on the numeric keypad then release the alt key.

Not sure it works for other machines

Here is a full list of alt codes
Special Characters — Alt Keyboard Sequences

OK, let me see if it works...press the alt key, type 99 and release the alt key. nope.
my keyboard has definitely gone south. The number lo k doesn't work, either. Ü

AH HA!!!!! c GOT IT! The dang keyboard needed me to press the RIGHT 'alt' key, not the left one. Dang conservative keyboard. Been around me too long. ;)

put that page you gave me on my bookmark ribbon. I'm going to need it...and it gives me all the fancy characters I need for linguistic stuff.

THANKS!!!!