• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dating Site For White People Only

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No. Try reading again, this time for comprehension.
Oh, be nice.....I've been reading since before you were just a gleam in your father's eye.
I read your provocative post, & sussed it pretty well.
So I asked appropriate questions about how the cited wrongs relate to people dating within their own race.
The questions about the connection still stand.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
But there's a difference between race and those other factors. Vegetarians have never been lynched for being vegetarians. Bibliophiles haven't been made to sit at the back of the bus. #athleteslivesmatter isn't a thing.

There's still an in-group/out-group dynamic in American society, and creating a service that not only caters to the in-group but seems to be aimed at preserving the divide between the in-group and out-group implicitly endorses the in-group/out-group dynamic in a way that a similar service for an out-group wouldn't do.

So there's that side of it. How big a deal this is to people probably depends on how big a deal they think racism is in the US right now.

So if I went with that way of thinking I would have to say that there should be no black ,Asian, gay, Hispanic, Russian or any other such race specific dating sites. Its not right that whites are the only race of people that cant identify in that way. Frankly, I don't care. If I don't like something, I deal with it this way; I don't go there. I change the channel. I don't read it. I don't fund it or if its a person, I just avoid them.

Laika

Premium Member
“It’s our [the site's owner, Sam Russell] right to have this business,” he replied — the “we” presumably referring to white people, generally. “If we want equal rights in this country, it has to be equal rights for everybody.”

“It’s about equal opportunity,” Russell explained. “The last thing in the world I am is racist. I dated a black woman once. I helped raise a young black man … I just believe it’s hypocrisy to say ‘one group can do this, but another can’t.'”

dating2n-1-web.jpg
Russell points to his site’s recent traffic as evidence that others agree: More than 100,000 people visited White People Meet on Sunday, and — as of this writing — 1,033 people have registered to browse the site for free. (Russell would not share how many had actually become paying members.) He insists that the reaction has been overwhelmingly positive thus far; it’s the people criticizing him, he says, who don’t truly understand the true nature of race and racism.

White People Meet site link
Interesting. Any thoughts, like racist perhaps?

I would imagine what this site is doing is entirely legal, so there are no grounds for trying to stop it by force. Even communists have their own dating site (on facebook anyway). it's sort of sad and demeaning though as it means you think no-one else will want to go out with you or that this aspect of your identity is a reason to ignore everyone who doesn't fit in it.

but yeah, what the site is doing is racist. not in a "white sumpremacy" kind of way. [I think thats more like dating advice on Stormfront.] but it is a form of segregation. like when landlords had the sign "no dogs, no gays, no blacks"when they were looking for new tenants. it is a form of sexual racism, but the very question as to whether political correctness should take precedent over sexual "preference" is incredably invasive. it might be changed with attitudes, but banning it hides rather than solves the problem. its something people need to leran to talk about, because uts about admitting that racism is not just an idea, but directly affects how we feel. you cannot treat it in isolation.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I would imagine what this site is doing is entirely legal, so there are no grounds for trying to stop it by force. Even communists have their own dating site (on facebook anyway). it's sort of sad and demeaning though as it means you think no-one else will want to go out with you or that this aspect of your identity is a reason to ignore everyone who doesn't fit in it.
Actually, I think it's nothing more than a site for people who don't care to go out with anyone who isn't white. No different than a dating site for people who don't want to go out with anyone under 5' 5" (women) or 5' 9" (men), or those who aren't a natural brunette, Or people who aren't Christians, OR people who don't love ham and eggs. If I don't love ham and eggs why should I care that I can't join their site? There are plenty of other dating sites that don't care about my love or lack of love of ham and eggs.

I guess the question then is, is it unacceptable discrimination to establish ANY kind of membership qualifications at all? Do all dating sites need to be open to absolutely everyone?

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
Actually, I think it's nothing more than a site for people who don't care to go out with anyone who isn't white. No different than a dating site for people who don't want to go out with anyone under 5' 5" (women) or 5' 9" (men), or those who aren't a natural brunette, Or people who aren't Christians, OR people who don't love ham and eggs. If I don't love ham and eggs why should I care that I can't join their site? There are plenty of other dating sites that don't care about my love or lack of love of ham and eggs.

I guess the question then is, is it unacceptable discrimination to establish ANY kind of membership qualifications at all? Do all dating sites need to be open to absolutely everyone?

I would say that whilst on the one hand you can interpret someone wanting to go out with Asian women as a preference, it is still clearly a form of discrimination. although it does depend on historical predendents and the significance of "what" is being discriminated against that makes it a problem. either way, there is nothing that can be done in this area beyond educate people that the problem does exist. changing how people feel is both weird and intrusive. perhaps a good subject for science fiction, but not good politics or a relationship either way.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would say that whilst on the one hand you can interpret someone wanting to go out with Asian women as a preference, it is still clearly a form of discrimination. although it does depend on historical predendents and the significance of "what" is being discriminated against that makes it a problem. either way, there is nothing that can be done in this area beyond educate people that the problem does exist. changing how people feel is both weird and intrusive. perhaps a good subject for science fiction, but not good politics or a relationship either way.
Isn't all dating about discrimination?
Someone who is a 10 wouldn't settle for a 3....unless the 3 is rich.
So we have appearance & financial discrimination here.
Many of my Chinese in-laws preferred other Chinese (although one Japanese & one Vietnamese slipped in).
Is this wrongful discrimination?
A Jewish co-worker once told me his mother's admonishment that he must marry a nice Jewish girl, & that "gentiles are for practice".

Akivah

Huh? People having preferences is a problem? Is the proper course of action to force people to blindfold themselves to select someone to date? http://www.tv.com/shows/dating-in-the-dark/

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Huh? People having preferences is a problem? Is the proper course of action to force people to blindfold themselves to select someone to date? http://www.tv.com/shows/dating-in-the-dark/
Even if RF posters dated each other based solely on info here,
I'll wager your left one that the good looking avatars would seek
out their equals. I'd be lucky to date one of those question marks!

Laika

Premium Member

racism is emotional. so you cannot seperate "attraction" from many of the cultural norms of society. Much as we have standards of beauty, and that change a great deal, so racist conceptions and sterotype can play a role in defining what we consider to be attractive in a person.

Wirey

Fartist
racism is emotional. so you cannot seperate "attraction" from many of the cultural norms of society. Much as we have standards of beauty, and that change a great deal, so racist conceptions and sterotype can play a role in defining what we consider to be attractive in a person.

'Tis true. I'm white and grew up in a predominately black neighbourhood. To this day I find it easier to befriend a brother than a cuz.

Wirey

Fartist
But do you "date" them?
If not, is it because you are racist or homophobic?
Tom

I was engaged to one of them until she died. Black girls are usually too savvy to fall for my schtick, so I had to settle for a white woman. I'm hoping to move up to 50% Mexican shortly.

Hey @Buttercup , how you doin'?