• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Darkness

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

"As I slide the clip in from inside the hotel
Leanin' out the window, going Keyser Söze
Finger on the trigger, but I'm a licensed owner
With no prior convictions, so law says sky's the limit

So my supply's infinite, strapped like I'm a soldier
Got 'em hopping over walls and climbing fences
Some of them John Travolta, staying alive by inches
(Hello, darkness, my old friend)

Cops are knockin', oh, ****, thought I blocked the entrance
Guess show time is over, no suicide note
Just a note for target distance

But if you'd like to know the reason why I did this
You'll never find a motive, truth is I have no idea
I am just as stumped, no signs of mental illness

Just tryin' to show ya the reason why we're so ******
'Cause by the time it's over, won't make the slightest difference
(Hello darkness, my old friend)"

No other Eminem song has sent chills down my spine as much as this one. The emotion, the wordplay, the message, and the poignant gravitas. It is as relevant now as when it first released.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

"As I slide the clip in from inside the hotel
Leanin' out the window, going Keyser Söze
Finger on the trigger, but I'm a licensed owner
With no prior convictions, so law says sky's the limit

So my supply's infinite, strapped like I'm a soldier
Got 'em hopping over walls and climbing fences
Some of them John Travolta, staying alive by inches
(Hello, darkness, my old friend)

Cops are knockin', oh, ****, thought I blocked the entrance
Guess show time is over, no suicide note
Just a note for target distance

But if you'd like to know the reason why I did this
You'll never find a motive, truth is I have no idea
I am just as stumped, no signs of mental illness

Just tryin' to show ya the reason why we're so ******
'Cause by the time it's over, won't make the slightest difference
(Hello darkness, my old friend)"

No other Eminem song has sent chills down my spine as much as this one. The emotion, the wordplay, the message, and the poignant gravitas. It is as relevant now as when it first released.
And the only thing that will make a difference is when the USA releases its communal grip on needing personal protection. :oops:

Audie

Veteran Member
Why? The solution is to remove their fascination with weapons. :oops:

" communal grip on needing self -
preservation"

Sorryah, I'm not releasing my
grip. Thats zero to do with
being "fascinated" with weapons.
I happen to like being alive, I
won't give it up lightly.

Whatever your fear of weapons,
or utter incomprehension of other
people may be, that's about you.
You can give up and die
if it suits you.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
When you can guarantee my family's safety I will think about it.
You really think the USA is somehow different from all the other countries that feel no such requirement? Granted that the USA did perhaps have a longer period of such necessity than some others - but the way forward is rather obvious to many looking in to the USA rather than being there, even if such views are often not welcome. It will hardly be easy to wean the population off personal protection and all the other weapons available but do you really want to live with the constant deaths from such weapons?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
" communal grip on needing self -
preservation"

Sorryah, I'm not releasing my
grip. Thats zero to do with
being "fascinated" with weapons.
I happen to like being alive, I
won't give it up lightly.

Whatever your fear of weapons,
or utter incomprehension of other
people may be, that's about you.
You can give up and die
if it suits you.
Now don't be silly. You know that many other countries manage fine without access to such weapons. Insecurity just feeds upon itself so as to make the problem constantly much worse than in most other countries.

The problem is - how to get from position A (far too many guns) to position B (very much fewer guns) so as the necessity for wanting protection is removed - like it is in so many other countries. :oops:

Last edited:

Clizby Wampuscat

You really think the USA is somehow different from all the other countries that feel no such requirement? Granted that the USA did perhaps have a longer period of such necessity than some others - but the way forward is rather obvious to many looking in to the USA rather than being there, even if such views are often not welcome. It will hardly be easy to wean the population off personal protection and all the other weapons available but do you really want to live with the constant deaths from such weapons?
The people that would want to harm others will have the weapons no matter what the laws say. Do you really think that the massacre in California would have been prevented if guns were outlawed? No gun ever killed anyone, people with guns killed people. It takes a person to pick up the gun to kill someone, that is the issue. We need to solve the issue of why people pick up the gun to kill. It is like trying to solve drug overdoses by removing the drugs instead of the issue as to why people take drugs in the first place. The war on drugs was a failure, so will be the war on guns.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The people that would want to harm others will have the weapons no matter what the laws say. Do you really think that the massacre in California would have been prevented if guns were outlawed? No gun ever killed anyone, people with guns killed people. It takes a person to pick up the gun to kill someone, that is the issue. We need to solve the issue of why people pick up the gun to kill. It is like trying to solve drug overdoses by removing the drugs instead of the issue as to why people take drugs in the first place. The war on drugs was a failure, so will be the war on guns.
As mentioned to another - you have a situation where people are made to feel insecure because of the numbers of weapons in circulation. The answer is not to continually maintain this but to gradually reduce the number of weapons in circulation. How it will happen who knows. But you have to admit that many other nations do not have such fears, even if weapons are often available to criminals. People just don't feel the need to carry anything weapon wise - and the laws often make it illegal anyway.

Being forced to carry a weapon as defence is just a ludicrous way to live - when just ridding the society of such weapons is far more sensible. Even if one most tolerate the occasional outrage. Surely better than daily ones - as in the USA at present. :oops:

PS And your argument as to why people kill is not really relevant, given it has been shown that the more weapons in circulation, then the more they will be used, for legal means or not.

Audie

Veteran Member
Now don't be silly. You know that many other countries manage fine without access to such weapons. Insecurity just feeds upon itself so as to make the problem constantly much worse than in most other countries.

The problem is - how to get from position A (far too many guns) to position B (very much fewer guns) so as the necessity for wanting protection is removed - like it is in so many other countries. :oops:
Q
How to deal with someone who
is so many points off compass,
so rong on the internet.
A
Not take my time for it

Clizby Wampuscat

As mentioned to another - you have a situation where people are made to feel insecure because of the numbers of weapons in circulation. The answer is not to continually maintain this but to gradually reduce the number of weapons in circulation. How it will happen who knows. But you have to admit that many other nations do not have such fears, even if weapons are often available to criminals. People just don't feel the need to carry anything weapon wise - and the laws often make it illegal anyway.

Being forced to carry a weapon as defence is just a ludicrous way to live - when just ridding the society of such weapons is far more sensible. Even if one most tolerate the occasional outrage. Surely better than daily ones - as in the USA at present. :oops:

PS And your argument as to why people kill is not really relevant, given it has been shown that the more weapons in circulation, then the more they will be used, for legal means or not.
When you can figure out how it can happen let me know. You keep using the term fear. I am not in continual fear of my life. I want to be able to choose to have a gun to protect myself, no one is forcing me to. I don't feel the need to have one on me at all times, I don't carry one with me.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
When you can figure out how it can happen let me know. You keep using the term fear. I am not in continual fear of my life. I want to be able to choose to have a gun to protect myself, no one is forcing me to. I don't feel the need to have one on me at all times, I don't carry one with me.
Well don't expect me or anyone to provide any simple solutions, and I know this, but as with so many other beliefs, if one is so tied to them and no possibility of change is even contemplated then no such will ever occur. Perhaps admitting that the foundation of the USA was not on firm rock might be a start - so as to amend the constitution and start reeling in the weapons more suited to warfare than personal protection. Other countries must have similarly gone through such processes.

Neither am I in fear of my life, like so many others in countries where such weapons are not common, and I am less likely to be killed by a toddler getting hold of such a weapon, or seeing a child killing another, or a child shooting a teacher, or some nut killing some innocents as expressions of their anger, or all the rest.

Perhaps you just can't envisage a more peaceful society - without all these deaths? :oops: