• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dark paganism?

Selene

I'm sorry if this has been asked before... but I'm curious. I've heard people label themselves as dark pagans, and never really dared asking. What is it about, and what is the difference between dark paganism and "normal" paganism? What about grey/ black magick - does a dark pagan do other kinds of magick than what a "normal" pagan would do?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
"Dark" Paganism I think is less about the types of magic practiced and more about the Gods a persons practice is centered around. Dark doesn't always infer "evil" or "bad", but there are Gods in all mythologies that deal with the darker and more unhappy aspects of life, such as Hades or Kali.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I think that most of the time , the term " dark " just sounds cool . :) Or it is a stage that one is going through . Most Pagans see " dark " and " light " as flip sides of the same thing . Life and Death . The Great Circle . But some do direct their energies towards understanding the Shadows .

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Dark Paganism (Personally I prefer the term Nocturnal Pagan), is the sole focusing on the Dark/Nocturnal aspects of spirituality. This is no way means we are "evil Pagans." It simply means instead of worshiping God, since he is associated with the Sun and Light, we worship Goddess, as she is associated with the Dark and the Moon. We also worship other Deitys associated with Darkness, and sometimes death. The energies we work with are also slightly different.
Konstantinos is one of the best authors of Nocturnalism if you want to read into it.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I'm not questioning your Path Shadow Wolf , but I have to ask . Why not worship both aspects ?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Not to answer for Shadow Wolf, but I would assume that it just calls to him to worship that way. Everyone has their own reasons to why they worship the way they do. Dianic Pagans don't worship god aspects either. They are entirely feminine in their beliefs. Whatever feels the most comfortable for him is best.

As for the whole question at hand, I feel that Shadow Wolf answered best. At least the answer that I agree with. ;)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Shadow Wolf said:
Dark Paganism (Personally I prefer the term Nocturnal Pagan), is the sole focusing on the Dark/Nocturnal aspects of spirituality. This is no way means we are "evil Pagans." It simply means instead of worshiping God, since he is associated with the Sun and Light, we worship Goddess, as she is associated with the Dark and the Moon. We also worship other Deitys associated with Darkness, and sometimes death. The energies we work with are also slightly different.
Konstantinos is one of the best authors of Nocturnalism if you want to read into it.

i agree with good ol' wolfy :)

Fluffy

A fool
I have never come across the term before however, if what Shadow Wolf says is an accurate definition then I could be considered a "dark" pagan.

The only other thing I can think of that the term may refer to (wikipedia doesn't have it which leads me to believe it ain't a very popular one) is perhaps a self title by "bunnies" who are interested in cursing teachers who give them detentions. Hypes up the cool factor and all.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Fluffy said:
The only other thing I can think of that the term may refer to (wikipedia doesn't have it which leads me to believe it ain't a very popular one) is perhaps a self title by "bunnies" who are interested in cursing teachers who give them detentions. Hypes up the cool factor and all.

:eek: bunnies!!!!

i haven't heard that expression in ages! :D

Shrimpy

Fluffy said:
...is perhaps a self title by "bunnies" who are interested in cursing teachers who give them detentions. Hypes up the cool factor and all.

Eeep! I'll bet I've been cursed more than a few times by them! I teach a few "bunnies" and I have had to issue detentions... one memorable occasion was when I confiscated a SRW book from a girl who was supposed to be doing the soidum thiosulphate experiment NOT reading... "You just don't understand the discrimination pagans undergo, Miss, It's racist to give me a DT". :rolleyes:

*sigh*;)

Dark Paganism is something that came about because authors *coughLlewellyncough* were trying to sell books to the brooding emo crowd. It plays off the old ideas of bad vs. good, that you're one or the other.

Those that use it for shock value, I can honestly say I have no respect for. Others however have embraced the idea and taken it further, using "dark" to mean that which is hidden, unseen and/or uncomfortable for the average person. But just because somethings is uncomfortable, it's not necessarily "bad."

It also deals with the black sheep gods, the supposedly nasty, destructive ones that cause so many problems in the various mythologies, but again this is a ply to a certain kind of readership/personality.

There are more then a few people who would consider me and my practice "dark" though I don't self-identify that way.

BFD_Zayl

well i wear dark clothing... but that for use rather than effect i guess...dark pagans are mostly people who seem to have a slightly shadier view on life and such.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
BFD_Zayl said:
well i wear dark clothing... but that for use rather than effect i guess...dark pagans are mostly people who seem to have a slightly shadier view on life and such.

can i ask what was meant by this? i think i am interpreting it differently to how you intended it...

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Draka said:
Not to answer for Shadow Wolf, but I would assume that it just calls to him to worship that way. Everyone has their own reasons to why they worship the way they do.

Yea , that is what I kinda assumed . :) I'm afraid that I may not have not have worded my question in the best way .

Although I kinda question the use of Lovecraft as a Spiritual Path , people has found guidance is stranger ways . What I am wondering about really is there something that drews one into the Shadows , leaving the Light behind ? But I suppose there would be as many answers to that as there are those who follow that path ?

I apologize if I offended anyone . Especially you Shadow Wolf . I have read a few of your post and you do take your Path seriously . { I wouldn't have bothered asking if I hadn't believed that }. :) Still , it was a stupid question .

BFD_Zayl

Mike182 said:
can i ask what was meant by this? i think i am interpreting it differently to how you intended it...
well, of offence to anyone but almost all pagans are happy go lucky feel-good people, the few dark pagans i know are extremly down to earth.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Dark Paganism is something that came about because authors *coughLlewellyncough* were trying to sell books to the brooding emo crowd. It plays off the old ideas of bad vs. good, that you're one or the other.
No disrepect to you, but **** emo. Also to answer Kreeden's question, I follow a Nocturnal path because it is my calling. I have yet to find one book, published by Llewellyn or another publishing company, that refers to a "bad vs. good" spectrum about prefering Darkness over Light.

What I am wondering about really is there something that drews one into the Shadows , leaving the Light behind ?
It's one of those answers that, that the only reason is, it just is, for me anyways. I've always felt a strong love for the night.

I am going to mention, following a Dark path does not mean you are emo, punk, and a typical wannabe goth. I wear black almost exclusivly, and wear a pentagram and the Runemaster sword. I (and many others who follow a dark path) do not dye my hair black, brood over death and the pains of life (I get depressed at times, but who doesn't), wear makeup (except when I'm acting on stage), paint my fingernails, have any piercings, wear chains or spiked chokers/braclets, shop at Hottopic (actually, I'm rarly in thier), write poetry, or the other sterotype labels of the average goth that you'll see walking down the street.

Those who would claim to be Nocturnal for shock value, do not have my respect. It makes no since to dress "witchy or gothy" on a hot humid summer day, go about trying to find a "real" version of the Necronomicon (Lovecraft himself admited Cthulhu, Yog-sogoth, and the other Great Old Ones are based on his nightmares.), and people who follow it, and claim it's devil worship need a good *** beating.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Vigdisdotter said:

I'm with SW on this one. You've got no clue what you're talking about.

Shadow Wolf said:
No disrepect to you, but **** emo.

I actually agree. I have no respect for those that make blatant grabs at whatever is the popular "minority" at a given time.

And that to me is the biggest problem with the path. What it's predominately based on is depressingly superficial. People are no stupid, so why ow why can't people put out information with actual meat and none of the ookey-spookey nonsense?

MaddLlama said:
I'm with SW on this one. You've got no clue what you're talking about.

I'm looking at what books are out there, as well as when people started talking about things compared to when those books came out, and who is recommending what books as explaining that path.

And please take note of the rest of what I said in my post.

Nocturnal is not a new thing, but it's new in that people are trying to claim it is and are now publishing books on it.