• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dark music?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I've just been listening to the album Closer by Joy Division for the first time since 2004

It was one of the anthems of my 2004 nervous breakdown

It brings back many memories of what it felt like being isolated and psychotic

I'm writing a post about it because I think it's awesome - a masterpiece even - and wanted to share my enthusiasm for it

I'd give it 5/5, and I'm not one to hand out 5/5s

It's got its own unique sound - chilling and bleak but also lively

Am going to check out their other album - Unknown Pleasures

Does anyone else know of any similarly dark music?

BTW, Ian Curtis, the singer of Joy Division killed himself, in his early twenties :(

But the rest of the band carried on, and changed their name to New Order

But I prefer Joy Division to New Order

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Dark music can sound good, but as a general rule, I feel it gets one closer to one's lower self rather than their higher self.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The theme of dark music is often, not always, focusing on narcissism, controlling others, violence, etc.
Maybe some, but not Joy Division!

Their lyrics are sublime, yet chilling and bleak

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Most of the music I listen to is "dark" - goth, post-punk (which Joy Division is), deathrock, darkwave, neofolk, black metal, etc. I'll try to think of some recommendations. I'll have to narrow it down.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Does anyone else know of any similarly dark music?

Hi, from a similar era, you could try The Cure's early albums: Seventeen Seconds and Faith.

Also try The Sisters of Mercy - early stuff is better, up to and including the 1985 album First and Last and Always.

I've also found some new stuff (IAMTHESHADOW, Minuit Machine, Night Club, The Purge) on Bandcamp - just put in genres like darkwave and goth.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What? I don't know what kind of music that would be. Eddi seems to be referring to melancholy music.

My bad. I interpreted "dark" as "lower self" music, like this:

I should have looked up Eddi's music he referenced instead of just forming an idea in my head based on the OP description. Sorry.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
My bad. I interpreted "dark" as "lower self" music, like this:

I should have looked up Eddi's music he referenced instead of just forming an idea in my head based on the OP description. Sorry.
Seriously? That's not "dark" at all. That's just a rock 'n' roll attitude.

This is something dark, and beautiful (imo):

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Big Bad Wolf....by In This Moment

can't seem to find a clean drop and drag

but I REALLY like it