• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dark Jews with Afros?

Teritos

Is this image authentic? If so, why does it show Abraham and other Hebrews with dark skin colors and afros?
image-asset.png

Beth Alpha - Wikipedia

Teritos

This question is really serious. I came across this picture last night. Is this image of Jewish origin? It would be nice if someone could answer.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Is this image authentic? If so, why does it show Abraham and other Hebrews with dark skin colors and afros?
image-asset.png

Beth Alpha - Wikipedia
Don't know about the hairstyles, but the mishna says that the skin of the Jews was not black or white but somewhere in-between. Brown may as well be in-between.
This question is really serious. I came across this picture last night. Is this image of Jewish origin? It would be nice if someone could answer.
It should be. It's in an ancient synagogue in northern Israeli and includes Hebrew writing.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't know about the hairstyles, but the mishna says that the skin of the Jews was not black or white but somewhere in-between. Brown may as well be in-between.
Sounds like a typical Mediterranean skin colour to me. I just always assumed that then as now there would have been an array of skin-tones, as one tends to find in the ME and Africa.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Why are you not concerned about their necks?
I mean, seriously....
And that is and was a tradition in certain African tribes. I need to do a Google search on it. The rings do not actually stretch the neck, if I remember correctly. They depress the clavicle. To me that seems to be even worse.

That did not take long:

Neck ring - Wikipedia

The custom of wearing neck rings is related to an ideal of beauty: an elongated neck. Neck rings push the clavicle and ribs down.[1] The neck stretching is mostly illusory: the weight of the rings twists the collarbone and eventually the upper ribs at an angle 45 degrees lower than what is natural, causing the illusion of an elongated neck. The vertebrae do not elongate, though the space between them may increase as the intervertebral discs absorb liquid.

As I said "owww!!"

Teritos

And that is and was a tradition in certain African tribes. I need to do a Google search on it. The rings do not actually stretch the neck, if I remember correctly. They depress the clavicle. To me that seems to be even worse.

That did not take long:

Neck ring - Wikipedia

The custom of wearing neck rings is related to an ideal of beauty: an elongated neck. Neck rings push the clavicle and ribs down.[1] The neck stretching is mostly illusory: the weight of the rings twists the collarbone and eventually the upper ribs at an angle 45 degrees lower than what is natural, causing the illusion of an elongated neck. The vertebrae do not elongate, though the space between them may increase as the intervertebral discs absorb liquid.

As I said "owww!!"
No, that's what South Africans do, not all of Africa. I just think that the people who painted these pictures in the synagogue were not good at drawing.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
You didn't knew there were black Jews? They are one of the most ancient group. They come from Ethiopia.
While that's true, why would a 6th century synagogue in Israel depict the Patriarchs as such? The Patriarchs came from Ur, not Africa.

Teritos

I don't, but I don't know if that would matter, given that Avraham himself was a descendant of Shem.
And Shem was a descendant of Noah, and Noah is the ancestor of all. So originally, everyone had one and the same skin color. Which came first, the black or white skin color? When did the white or black skin color come into being?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
And Shem was a descendant of Noah, and Noah is the ancestor of all. So originally, everyone had one and the same skin color. Which came first, the black or white skin color? When did the white or black skin color come into being?
Who knows.