• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dark Germanic Heathenism

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
So I'm posting this in the Asatru forum, but in reality, Dark Germanic Heathenism is the total opposite of Asatru.

I just stumbled upon this through music (I listen to some Black Metal, and while looking for some Pagan Black Metal bands, one of them had Dark Germanic Heathenism in its lyrical themes, so I looked it up) and basically it is a "cultic practice" in which a person worships the "dark" side of Germanic Paganism. This means they worship the Giants, trolls, and other "forces of darkness". They say that even though we were created by the Gods, it was from a Giant's body that we were made (Ymir) and so we have that force of darkness in us. They say that total destruction will lead to ultimate knowledge, so basically they are siding with the enemies of the Aesir and Vanir, and trying to give them more power so that when Ragnarok comes, they can have the ultimate knowledge.

What do you all think of it? :rolleyes:

Personally, I think that it is for people who don't want to be Satanic but still want to be "dark". I don't see a point in worshipping darkness and destruction.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The giants are cool, but in the end it doesn't really matter. Everybody dies except a couple of humans and about nine gods, so what's the point in taking sides?

I'm on Loki's side for now anyway.

For anyone interested in the Rokkr (or whatever that word for the "gods of the giants" was):
Jotunbok: Jotun Lore

...or...

The Rökkr: (don't care for this site much though)

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
The giants are cool, but in the end it doesn't really matter. Everybody dies except a couple of humans and about nine gods, so what's the point in taking sides?

I'm on Loki's side for now anyway.

For anyone interested in the Rokkr (or whatever that word for the "gods of the giants" was):
Jotunbok: Jotun Lore

...or...

The Rökkr: (don't care for this site much though)

I guess in that sense you're right, but the Gods who win are on the "good" side, and from that a new Earth is made. So I would rather help continue humanity and the World by taking the Aesir/Vanir side. The Jotuns and Loki are doomed from the start.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Doesn't matter. The Norse believed in hard determinism. Everything is fated, and therefore the gods win anyway. Helping does nothing, since they will win regardless.

I'm selfish though, so the idea of "preserving the human race" is rather pointless unless that one male is me. I'd rather just help who has helped and will help me the most, god or jotun/etin.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Doesn't matter. The Norse believed in hard determinism. Everything is fated, and therefore the gods win anyway. Helping does nothing, since they will win regardless.

I'm selfish though, so the idea of "preserving the human race" is rather pointless unless that one male is me. I'd rather just help who has helped and will help me the most, god or jotun/etin.

An interesting outlook. I'm more of an Anglo-Saxon Heathen though, and they didn't have hard determinism. They did believe in a fate of sorts, but it could be changed as well.

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here
So I'm posting this in the Asatru forum, but in reality, Dark Germanic Heathenism is the total opposite of Asatru.

I just stumbled upon this through music (I listen to some Black Metal, and while looking for some Pagan Black Metal bands, one of them had Dark Germanic Heathenism in its lyrical themes, so I looked it up) and basically it is a "cultic practice" in which a person worships the "dark" side of Germanic Paganism. This means they worship the Giants, trolls, and other "forces of darkness". They say that even though we were created by the Gods, it was from a Giant's body that we were made (Ymir) and so we have that force of darkness in us. They say that total destruction will lead to ultimate knowledge, so basically they are siding with the enemies of the Aesir and Vanir, and trying to give them more power so that when Ragnarok comes, they can have the ultimate knowledge.

What do you all think of it? :rolleyes:

Personally, I think that it is for people who don't want to be Satanic but still want to be "dark". I don't see a point in worshipping darkness and destruction.

:rolleyes: oh dear. How old are they? lol

To me it sounds like kids who want to be Satanists and original.

Such an attitude shows that they have... ahem, scant? knowledge of Germanic myth and culture. Utgarders/Jotnar were the forces in nature that will kill you without discretion or mercy more often than naught. The only reason people feel comfortable honoring them is because they probably have a comfortable middle-class life, and have no worries about how they're going to get by.

Attention seekers, IMO.

*better stop now before the rant becomes too harsh*

Mata

Insert Witty Title Here

If knowledge serves me right, there was no single Ragnarok. If memory serves, there's something like 5 versions, and in some of them the gods win and survive. It's also misleading to say the Norse believed in hard determinism. The concept of Urdr and Wyrd are more complex than that, I'd say.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
Don't most followers of Asatru feel that worshipping the Jotuns is completely detestable?

I wouldn't say it is detestable. Just pointless. It's like worshipping the Devil (From a Christian Perspective, although some Jotuns are neutral rather than malevolent). Why worship dark forces working against you?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
If knowledge serves me right, there was no single Ragnarok. If memory serves, there's something like 5 versions, and in some of them the gods win and survive. It's also misleading to say the Norse believed in hard determinism. The concept of Urdr and Wyrd are more complex than that, I'd say.
I've only ever seen evidence of one.

synonymou

I think the aesir, vanir and jotnar are all the same kind of being. the aesir and vanir are individual tribes while jotun is sort of a miscellaneous category, so any god that is not aesir or vanir is jotun. I also think that elves and trolls are the same thing as aesir and jotnar but less powerful.

synonymou

i choose to stay on the winning teams side

:)

thats what drove me away from christianity. right and wrong don`t matter, only who will win in the end. i would rather burn etermally in hell than than submit and live in heaven. I don't think I'll be doing either of those.