• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daniel prophecies about Messiah

jt1970

http://www.religiousforums.com/bible/index.php?keyword=Here's a prophecy about Messiah, taken from Daniel 9,

25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks:...

I've always wondered what the typical Jew thinks about the Book of Daniel and the prophecies about the Messiah. The date of the command to rebuild Jerusalem is well placed in history, so if you do the math, it comes out to about when Jesus was born.
Jesus = Messiah, right?

jewscout

Religious Zionist
jt1970 said:
Here's a prophecy about Messiah, taken from Daniel 9,

25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks:...

I've always wondered what the typical Jew thinks about the Book of Daniel and the prophecies about the Messiah. The date of the command to rebuild Jerusalem is well placed in history, so if you do the math, it comes out to about when Jesus was born.
Jesus = Messiah, right?
wrong...

Rashi shows that the text is talking about King Cyrus of Persia who would defeat Babylon and tell the jews to go back to Jerusalem and rebuild their city.

jt1970

oh, Jesus is not Messiah?
who's Rashi?
Is Daniel 9:25 applied diffrently? And are you a Messianic Jew? I'm a protestant, don't know much about the Messianics

jewscout

Religious Zionist
jt1970 said:
oh, Jesus is not Messiah?
who's Rashi?
Is Daniel 9:25 applied diffrently? And are you a Messianic Jew? I'm a protestant, don't know much about the Messianics
for jews no he isn't,
Rashi is one of the great Torah commentators
Daniel 9:25 is interpreted based on the times the prophet was living in, the Babylonian exhile
no i'm not a messianic Jew