• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dangers Of Being Male & Accused Of Rape At Colleges

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news today....
Why Campus Rape Tribunals Hand Down So Many 'Guilty' Verdicts

But not in the news today....
https://statics.sportskeeda.com/wp-...e-rock-wrestlemania-32-ftr-1478707229-800.jpg

It's a long read.
Some highlights showing a highly prejudicial process....

In November 2014, a female member of Brown University’s debate team had oral sex with a male colleague while they watched a movie. Eleven months later, she filed a complaint with Brown, accusing him of sexual assault.

Both parties in the case had credibility issues; he had violated a no-contact order, she had withheld from the university the bulk of their text messages. But the accused student possessed strong exculpatory evidence. He produced the full record of their communications, which included texts from the accuser to him discussing the encounter in a highly positive fashion and referencing a “plan” to have sex again. Further, a friend of the accuser, who saw her shortly after the incident, recalled her raving about her “really hot” experience.

Nonetheless, Brown’s disciplinary panel returned a guilty finding by 2-to-1. The decisive vote came from Besenia Rodriguez, the university’s associate dean for curriculum.

In subsequent court testimony after the accused sued Brown, Rodriguez admitted that she had not considered the accuser’s text messages or other post-incident behavior as having any bearing on the case. The reason, she said, was the hours of training that Brown had provided to prepare her to adjudicate the complaint—training required by the federal government. Rodriguez was specifically told that the impact of trauma on sexual-assault victims often causes them to behave in counterintuitive ways, such as not being able to recount a consistent set of facts or choosing to communicate with (rather than to avoid) the alleged assailant. “I felt like it couldn’t—I couldn’t really put myself in her shoes to understand why she was representing it that way,” explained Rodriguez, “so best not to attempt to judge her behavior.”
:
Since 2011, the federal government has required all universities that receive federal money to provide “training or experience in handling complaints of sexual harassment and sexual violence” to adjudicators and investigators. Since nothing in the experience of most academics prepares them to competently investigate an offense that’s a felony in all 50 states, it makes sense to train those who are assigned to investigate campus sexual-assault allegations. But the ideological regimes used on many campuses are designed more to stack the deck against accused students than to ensure a fair inquiry. The risk of injustice is enhanced by the fact that, to the best of our knowledge, no school discloses the contents of its training materials to accused students before commencing the disciplinary process. The contrast between this training regime and the instructions given by judges to jurors in criminal trials—most obviously, that they should presume defendants innocent until proven guilty—is stark.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't really see what a college has to do with any of this. If a woman is raped, she should go to the police. If the evidence warrants, they should arrest the perpetrator. If he is convicted in a court of law, he should go to prison.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Given what is floating around the political and entertainment sphere, this is quite some era.

Skwim

Veteran Member
In the news today....
https://statics.sportskeeda.com/wp-...e-rock-wrestlemania-32-ftr-1478707229-800.jpg

It's a long read.
Some highlights showing a highly prejudicial process....

In November 2014, a female member of Brown University’s debate team had oral sex with a male colleague while they watched a movie. Eleven months later, she filed a complaint with Brown, accusing him of sexual assault.

Both parties in the case had credibility issues; he had violated a no-contact order, she had withheld from the university the bulk of their text messages. But the accused student possessed strong exculpatory evidence. He produced the full record of their communications, which included texts from the accuser to him discussing the encounter in a highly positive fashion and referencing a “plan” to have sex again. Further, a friend of the accuser, who saw her shortly after the incident, recalled her raving about her “really hot” experience.

Nonetheless, Brown’s disciplinary panel returned a guilty finding by 2-to-1. The decisive vote came from Besenia Rodriguez, the university’s associate dean for curriculum.

In subsequent court testimony after the accused sued Brown, Rodriguez admitted that she had not considered the accuser’s text messages or other post-incident behavior as having any bearing on the case. The reason, she said, was the hours of training that Brown had provided to prepare her to adjudicate the complaint—training required by the federal government. Rodriguez was specifically told that the impact of trauma on sexual-assault victims often causes them to behave in counterintuitive ways, such as not being able to recount a consistent set of facts or choosing to communicate with (rather than to avoid) the alleged assailant. “I felt like it couldn’t—I couldn’t really put myself in her shoes to understand why she was representing it that way,” explained Rodriguez, “so best not to attempt to judge her behavior.”
:
Since 2011, the federal government has required all universities that receive federal money to provide “training or experience in handling complaints of sexual harassment and sexual violence” to adjudicators and investigators. Since nothing in the experience of most academics prepares them to competently investigate an offense that’s a felony in all 50 states, it makes sense to train those who are assigned to investigate campus sexual-assault allegations. But the ideological regimes used on many campuses are designed more to stack the deck against accused students than to ensure a fair inquiry. The risk of injustice is enhanced by the fact that, to the best of our knowledge, no school discloses the contents of its training materials to accused students before commencing the disciplinary process. The contrast between this training regime and the instructions given by judges to jurors in criminal trials—most obviously, that they should presume defendants innocent until proven guilty—is stark.

Re your title. Not all sexual assault, the charge levied against Brown, is rape. ALSO, your link is a picture of your favorite hero and not to the article.

Nous

Premium Member

According to the OCR's Guidance (my bolding):

All persons involved in implementing a school’s grievance procedures (e.g., Title IX coordinators, others who receive complaints, investigators, and adjudicators) must have training or experience in handling sexual violence complaints, and in the operation of the school’s grievance procedures. The training should include information on working with and interviewing persons subjected to sexual violence; information on particular types of conduct that would constitute sexual violence, including same-sex sexual violence; the proper standard of review for sexual violence complaints (preponderance of the evidence); information on consent and the role drugs or alcohol can play in the ability to consent; the importance of accountability for individuals found to have committed sexual violence; the need for remedial actions for the perpetrator, complainant, and school community; how to determine credibility; how to evaluate evidence and weigh it in an impartial manner; how to conduct investigations; confidentiality; the effects of trauma, including neurobiological change; and cultural awareness training regarding how sexual violence may impact students differently depending on their cultural backgrounds.​

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/qa-201404-title-ix.pdf

Thus, one certainly shouldn't suggest that the federal government is responsible for training adjudicators to ignore evidence, to weigh evidence unfairly, or to assess people's credibility by some other than the most commonplace and logical standards. I would certainly like to see the school's training material that requires what you are claiming here. Where is the article by the way?

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
This was one of my biggest fears when I was in college. I was genuinely afraid that a fun night out would turn into a retro-active rape charge days later. As a man, I would be behind the 8-ball in an my word vs theirs scenario. Despite my idealistic tendencies, I have no doubt I would be screwed and my life would be ruined, despite being innocent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Re your title. Not all sexual assault, the charge levied against Brown, is rape. ALSO, your link is a picture of your favorite hero and not to the article.

Oh, dear....must fix.
The Rock figured in another thread about Moana.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
According to the OCR's Guidance (my bolding):

All persons involved in implementing a school’s grievance procedures (e.g., Title IX coordinators, others who receive complaints, investigators, and adjudicators) must have training or experience in handling sexual violence complaints, and in the operation of the school’s grievance procedures. The training should include information on working with and interviewing persons subjected to sexual violence; information on particular types of conduct that would constitute sexual violence, including same-sex sexual violence; the proper standard of review for sexual violence complaints (preponderance of the evidence); information on consent and the role drugs or alcohol can play in the ability to consent; the importance of accountability for individuals found to have committed sexual violence; the need for remedial actions for the perpetrator, complainant, and school community; how to determine credibility; how to evaluate evidence and weigh it in an impartial manner; how to conduct investigations; confidentiality; the effects of trauma, including neurobiological change; and cultural awareness training regarding how sexual violence may impact students differently depending on their cultural backgrounds.​

https://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/docs/qa-201404-title-ix.pdf

Thus, one certainly shouldn't suggest that the federal government is responsible for training adjudicators to ignore evidence, to weigh evidence unfairly, or to assess people's credibility by some other than the most commonplace and logical standards. I would certainly like to see the school's training material that requires what you are claiming here. Where is the article by the way?
The article is now in the OP.
But for everyone's viewing pleasure, The Rock is still there too.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This was one of my biggest fears when I was in college. I was genuinely afraid that a fun night out would turn into a retro-active rape charge days later. As a man, I would be behind the 8-ball in an my word vs theirs scenario. Despite my idealistic tendencies, I have no doubt I would be screwed and my life would be ruined, despite being innocent.
I wonder.....
What if the guy accused the gal of rape?
Is it possible that this is the empty set of crimes, & either no action would
be taken, or the standard of investigation & judgement would differ?

Nous

Premium Member
The article is now in the OP.
Yes, I found the article after I posted. The federal district judge invalidated the school's decision. And just to reiterate: it's the school's training program, not the federal government's.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, I found the article after I posted. The federal district judge invalidated the school's decision. And just to reiterate: it's the school's training program, not the federal government's.
Taking the article at face value....

"The training mandate originated with the Obama administration’s 2011 “Dear Colleague” letter, which
dictated campus procedures for sexual-assault allegations that dramatically increased the chances of
guilty findings. Expanded guidance in 2014 from the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights
ordered that the training include “the effects of trauma, including neurobiological change”—a phrase
pregnant with hidden meaning. The Obama training requirements (without the “neurobiological change”
part) were then formalized in a binding federal regulation in 2015."

.....the fed would be culpable.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I wonder.....
What if the guy accused the gal of rape?
Is it possible that this is the empty set of crimes, & either no action would
be taken, or the standard of investigation & judgement would differ?
It is getting better, but it is still a very tough road for the guy in this case. Not only with the legal aspect, but the social stigma to follow.

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member

The problem with this is a possible trend of purely consensual sex acts being retroactively defined as "sexual assault" by the supposed "victim" months or years later. It seems to me as merely a way for the woman to come up smelling of roses and washing herself clean of any social ramifications for her actions, while completely throwing the man under the bus.

There are real cases of sexual assault that traumatize real victims emotionally, mentally and physically, and the perpetrators of these horrific acts need to be held accountable. But I think people who merely end up regretting something they consented to at the time and decide to throw the other person under the bus also need to be held accountable for ruining that person's life with a bogus accusation.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Rape is traumatic to a woman, a violation of her body and mind. Look at it the other way, if some guy forced you (if you are male) onto anal intercourse without concent, how would you feel?

Genuine accusations shouldn't bother wih college committees, rather go to the police, they are trained to investigate fully and with compassion (hopefully) and if there is a case to answer take the ******* for all he is worth.

Unfortunately there is a growing trend to hop on the band wagon with false accusations. This in no way helps, it sullies the credibility of accused, often desasterously. It dilutes genuine cases and it earns the accuser a bad rep.