• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dandelion Jelly

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You read the title right!

Dandelion Jelly is a thing and it is delicious. It tastes like honey and sunshine.

I picked around 8 cups of dandelion flower heads, then removing the yellow petals from the green bits.

IMG20220420194737.jpg

IMG20220420221546.jpg

Once I had all these lovely smelling yellow petals, I brought 8 cups of water to a boil. The water is poured over the dandelion petals, where it steeps until room temperature, then placed in the fridge overnight.

IMG20220421194651.jpg

After steeping overnight, I strained the tea through a cheesecloth to remove particulates, ensuring to squeeze out the petals while doing so.

Then measuring out the tea, bring it to boil in batches, adding measured amounts of sugar, lemon juice and pectin. Return to a light boil, then remove from heat and add to canning jars.

IMG20220424152441.jpg

Add it to your favorite foods and snacks: toast, cheese and crackers, PB&J sandwiches, ice cream, and it can even be used as a sugar substitute for tea and coffee due to it's light honey and floral taste.

IMG20220426124433.jpg

My only changes that I will need to make is to adjust the sugar, tea and pectin ratio, as my jelly did not fully set, and has a bit of water to it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Okay, "measured amounts"?? How much water is added, how much sugar, how much lemon juice and pectin? Sounds tempting but as a complete amateur I would mess it up with those instructions.

exchemist

Veteran Member

Dandelion Jelly is a thing and it is delicious. It tastes like honey and sunshine.

I picked around 8 cups of dandelion flower heads, then removing the yellow petals from the green bits.

View attachment 62861

View attachment 62862

Once I had all these lovely smelling yellow petals, I brought 8 cups of water to a boil. The water is poured over the dandelion petals, where it steeps until room temperature, then placed in the fridge overnight.

View attachment 62863

After steeping overnight, I strained the tea through a cheesecloth to remove particulates, ensuring to squeeze out the petals while doing so.

Then measuring out the tea, bring it to boil in batches, adding measured amounts of sugar, lemon juice and pectin. Return to a light boil, then remove from heat and add to canning jars.

View attachment 62864

Add it to your favorite foods and snacks: toast, cheese and crackers, PB&J sandwiches, ice cream, and it can even be used as a sugar substitute for tea and coffee due to it's light honey and floral taste.

View attachment 62865

My only changes that I will need to make is to adjust the sugar, tea and pectin ratio, as my jelly did not fully set, and has a bit of water to it.
Is it diuretic? Dandelion has that reputation. It's actually called pissenlit in French, i.e. **** in bed, though it has another name, dent de lion (lion's tooth), from which we get.................

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Is it diuretic? Dandelion has that reputation. It's actually called pissenlit in French, i.e. **** in bed, though it has another name, dent de lion (lion's tooth), from which we get.................

I'm not sure the jelly is a diuretic, but if you were to drink the tea mixture I made it is good for liver and kidney health, and is a diuretic. The tea tastes vaguely grassy, and isn't too bad either.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yes, I think that they can be cooked like spinach, or if young enough eaten in a salad. As they get older they will get tougher.

I recommend eating the young leaves in spring and fall, as they taste better then. If they are older and bigger, especially after they have gone to flower, the green parts become tough and bitter.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

View attachment 62861

View attachment 62862

View attachment 62863

View attachment 62864

View attachment 62865

(I funny fruballed so you could have the full set!)

Looks yummy! I have to try it.

I've made dandelion coffee by roasting young roots. It was...interesting. I prefer chicory. The young greens are nice.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
(I funny fruballed so you could have the full set!)

Looks yummy! I have to try it.

I've made dandelion coffee by roasting young roots. It was...interesting. I prefer chicory. The young greens are nice.

(I'm still short a useful frubal ;) )

It's very good. I recommend it.

Nice,.over heard the roots roasted for coffee are good. I've never done or had it. I've had a chicory coffee blend from Cafe du Monde from the French Quarter, LA that is/was delicious. How's chicory by itself?

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them

Nice,.over heard the roots roasted for coffee are good. I've never done or had it. I've had a chicory coffee blend from Cafe du Monde from the French Quarter, LA that is/was delicious. How's chicory by itself?
Boom. Youve been useful frubed
Whole set granted

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Bitter and...barklike, I guess? It's not bad. I do prefer coffee.