• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Damsons

exchemist

Veteran Member
In my teens, it was my job at this time of year to climb the damson tree in my grandparents' garden and pick the fruit. We also had a tree in our own garden when I was growing up. But I've never seen damsons in the supermarkets, at any rate not in London, where I live.

However, a few days ago I was delighted to see them in the fruit stall at the local market. So I bought a kilo or so and stewed them with sugar. They are delicious, with a bit of cream or Greek yoghourt. If he's got any left I'm going to get more, cook them and freeze them.

My mother used to make summer puddings with them. I've a feeling they might also be rather good with duck. I intend to try, next weekend.

The only snag with damsons is the large number of stones. They don't bother me, as one can spit them out as one goes like olive stones, but I suppose they are a bit inelegant for a smart dinner party. And the juice does stain terribly, like that of most red/purple fruit.

Does anyone else have any experience of cooking damsons?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never cooked with them; I'd never even heard of them until this post, but now I've looked, it appears we maybe had just such a tree in my garden when I was a child, although what you say about the stones makes me question that; albeit was a long time ago.

Eyes to See

Being from the states I've never heard of damson. Had to look it up. It's a subspecies of a plum and grows in Europe, although mostly known in Great Britain.

We had a couple of crab apple trees, my mom would have us boys collect the apples when they fell off the trees and make jelly out of it. That, and rhubarb pie, and zucchini cake.

Here in Mexico we got a banana tree, a couple orange trees, lime tree, fig tree, and a garden with lots of herbs and vegtibles. They have this small red pepper called chiltipin. I love it, always use it in all my food for some reason. I miss my mom's good rhubarb pies though.

In my teens, it was my job at this time of year to climb the damson tree in my grandparents' garden and pick the fruit. We also had a tree in our own garden when I was growing up. But I've never seen damsons in the supermarkets, at any rate not in London, where I live.

Nothing to do with damsons, but my gran had loganberries, which are sort of like big raspberries, growing in her garden and I've never seen these in the shops either.

These hipster old folk with their fancy, niche fruits eh...

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I finally know the name of the misshapen bluish plum we sometimes get for dessert at lunchtime...

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well, I finally know the name of the misshapen bluish plum we sometimes get for dessert at lunchtime...
Well maybe. The word damson seems to a contraction from damascene i.e. from Damascus, so you may well have them in your part of the world.

But damsons are too sour to eat by themselves. They need to be cooked with sugar. They are a sort of large relative of the sloe, not as sour as sloes but with a similar taste. Though I suppose in a hot climate they might become sweeter.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Nothing to do with damsons, but my gran had loganberries, which are sort of like big raspberries, growing in her garden and I've never seen these in the shops either.

These hipster old folk with their fancy, niche fruits eh...
Yes I remember loganberries. They are a hybrid of raspberries and blackberries, I think. But from what I recall, I don't think they are as tasty as either. They seem to have died out rather.

And what about gooseberries? You almost never see those nowadays and they can be terrific - but again, they need cooking, which maybe why, given the state of culinary collapse in the UK, we don't see them.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Being from the states I've never heard of damson. Had to look it up. It's a subspecies of a plum and grows in Europe, although mostly known in Great Britain.

We had a couple of crab apple trees, my mom would have us boys collect the apples when they fell off the trees and make jelly out of it. That, and rhubarb pie, and zucchini cake.

Here in Mexico we got a banana tree, a couple orange trees, lime tree, fig tree, and a garden with lots of herbs and vegtibles. They have this small red pepper called chiltipin. I love it, always use it in all my food for some reason. I miss my mom's good rhubarb pies though.
Yes, my grandfather had a crab apple tree and used religiously to make crab apple jelly from the fruit each year. I always thought they were pretty pointless and the jelly not worth eating. Rhubarb, on the other hand can be very good, especially in crumbles. @Rival, as a Yorkshireman, will know all about rhubarb, as Yorkshire is the centre of the rhubarb universe.

You are lucky to have a fig tree. The scent of those in summertime is fabulous - and the figs themselves are lovely.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Well maybe. The word damson seems to a contraction from damascene i.e. from Damascus, so you may well have them in your part of the world.

But damsons are too sour to eat by themselves. They need to be cooked with sugar. They are a sort of large relative of the sloe, not as sour as sloes but with a similar taste. Though I suppose in a hot climate they might become sweeter.
Too sour? Doesn't sound right. So maybe it's a different kind of plum. Oh well. The quest continues! :p

exchemist

Veteran Member
Too sour? Doesn't sound right. So maybe it's a different kind of plum. Oh well. The quest continues! :p
From the little I've read, there seems to be quite a family of these dark-skinned plums with yellow flesh. You may have a close relative of the damson that is bigger and sweeter, I suppose.

What seems to make damson special is the flavour (not to mention the colour) imparted by the dark skins when you cook them. The taste also has a pleasing hint of almonds, due to the stones. Stewed damsons end up a deep purple colour. I don't make jam, but damson jam is very good, if you can get it.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, my grandfather had a crab apple tree and used religiously to make crab apple jelly from the fruit each year. I always thought they were pretty pointless and the jelly not worth eating. Rhubarb, on the other hand can be very good, especially in crumbles. @Rival, as a Yorkshireman, will know all about rhubarb, as Yorkshire is the centre of the rhubarb universe.

You are lucky to have a fig tree. The scent of those in summertime is fabulous - and the figs themselves are lovely.
Where I am is mostly peas, potatoes and lots of rape, as well as pig farming.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We have a plum similar to Damson, i.e., Jamun (of course, biologically different). It is sour but is eaten happily with salt. That also is used for jams

exchemist

Veteran Member
Where I am is mostly peas, potatoes and lots of rape, as well as pig farming.
So you're not in the Rhubarb Triangle, then? Rhubarb Triangle - Wikipedia

My grandfather came from near Bradford and, being a tight-fisted git (now, where did that habit come from?) used to grow it and make rhubarb wine.:confused:

Seems incredible to think there were actual trains, in the pre-war period, called rhubarb specials, for carrying rhubarb from Yorkshire to London.

Eeh bah gum put t'ferret down yer trousers.:D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
So you're not in the Rhubarb Triangle, then? Rhubarb Triangle - Wikipedia

My grandfather came from near Bradford and, being a tight-fisted git (now, where did that habit come from?) used to grow it and make rhubarb wine.:confused:

Seems incredible to think there were actual trains, in the pre-war period, called rhubarb specials, for carrying rhubarb from Yorkshire to London.

Eeh bah gum put t'ferret down yer trousers.:D
East Yorkshire :)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Here is a picture of (half of) my next batch of stewed damsons, in a plastic pot ready for freezing:
upload_2020-9-3_14-56-36.jpeg