• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Practice

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Vanakkam,

If you are comfortable with sharing, what is your daily practice? Here is mine:

1. Surya Namaskar
2. Om Asato Ma Sad Gamaya
2. Shiv Chalisa

Evening:
1. Chandra Namaskar (A newar set of asanas)
2. Kara Charana Kritam Vaa
3. Om Asato Ma Sad Gamaya

This is what I have so far :)

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
So far, part of my daily practice is to invoke the 12 names of Gaṇeśa that appear in Padma Purāṇa 1.63.29-30 in the early part of the morning before sunrise. It is not something I am doing every single morning currently, but I do intend to make it an every morning practice.

Another part of my daily practice is to prepare dinner for Bhagavān, offer it to him, and then receive it as prasāda for dinner. At this time, I cannot have a pūjā room, so I use two-dimensional images of Bhagavān on my iPad mini, which I am able to set up and place the offerings before. What I would like to do is find a non-digital picture that I could keep hidden in my bedroom when not making offerings before it, if that is okay for a Hindu.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It is perfectly alright. Get a few images that you like, have them printed and framed. You can also get these from Indian stores or Amazon and other sites.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
I am doing abhishekam everyday to Lord Krishna which takes me just about 20 min. I want to make it a routine to chant the Hare Krishna mahamantra, at least 4 - 6 malas a day which I am not doing. That makes me feel very bad. Usually though, I chant 2 or 3 rounds a day. It is to be noted Srila Prabhupada has mandated 16 malas of the mahamantra japa each day for ISKCONites.

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
I am doing abhishekam everyday to Lord Krishna which takes me just about 20 min.

That's admirable of you. :)

I want to make it a routine to chant the Hare Krishna mahamantra, at least 4 - 6 malas a day which I am not doing. That makes me feel very bad. Usually though, I chant 2 or 3 rounds a day.

I have been chanting the Mahāmantra for almost seven days so far. I like it. Most of the time, I chant it while I am engaged in some activity, but sometimes, I sit down and chant it 27 times. I want to purchase a mālā and use it to chant the mantra 108 times in the early morning every day.

This is the order of the mantra that I prefer:

हरे राम हरे राम राम राम हरे हरे
हरे कृष्ण हरे कृष्ण कृष्ण कृष्ण हरे हरे

It is to be noted Srila Prabhupada has mandated 16 malas of the mahamantra japa each day for ISKCONites.

Is this for those who have received dīkṣā, or is everybody in ISKCON encouraged to do 16 rounds? I have to ask because I am not involved in ISKCON.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Is this for those who have received dīkṣā, or is everybody in ISKCON encouraged to do 16 rounds? I have to ask because I am not involved in ISKCON.

It is for everybody that is part of ISKCON to chant the mahamantra at least 16 malas everyday.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I like to start with making-the-bed-meditation. Other daily practices include washing-the-dishes meditation, kitchen witchery, and sweeping-the-floor meditation. So many opportunities! (I really should do pranayama on a daily basis, but I haven't built a steady habit of that yet.)

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
This morning, I added chanting the 'Sarva Maṅgala Māṅgalye' to my daily practice. I will chant it thrice in the morning and thrice at night before bed. It appears in Devī Māhātmya 11.9 (Mārkaṇḍeya Purāṇa 91.9):

सर्व मंगल मांगल्ये शिवे सर्वार्थ साधिके |
शरण्ये त्रयम्बके गौरी नारायणी नमोस्तुते ||

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That makes me feel very bad.
Nothing should make you feel bad, irrespective of whatever Srila Prabhupada says. You want to chant the Mahamantra more times. That is OK. Try to do it better with a happy frame of mind. Hindu Gods and Goddeses are merciful. They will recognize your effort.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I want to purchase a mālā and use it to chant the mantra 108 times in the early morning every day.
Whether you are involved in ISKCON or not, there is no compulsion. Do it as it suits your temperament and availability of time.
Take any 108 beads, seeds, marbles, and that is your mala, whether on a string or otherwise. You can remember your deities even without Rudraksha or Tulsi. I never went for formalities.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I like to start with making-the-bed-meditation. Other daily practices include washing-the-dishes meditation, kitchen witchery, and sweeping-the-floor meditation. So many opportunities! (I really should do pranayama on a daily basis, but I haven't built a steady habit of that yet.)
Nice. Do 'pranayam' when you are doing these chores. Doubly effective. You can also practice 'Moola Bandha' at the same time. :D
It takes some practice to do things at the same time.

Last edited:

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Nothing should make you feel bad, irrespective of whatever Srila Prabhupada says. You want to chant the Mahamantra more times. That is OK. Try to do it better with a happy frame of mind. Hindu Gods and Goddeses are merciful. They will recognize your effort.

Aup ji, do you have any thoughts on how to progress in bhakti? Thanks for your above reply.^

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Saranagati - Wikipedia

Be like Narsi Bhagat. He was dirt poor and his daughter was getting married. His wife asked as to how he will manage the expenses. Narsi said "Kanha will take care of it". On the day of marriage, a long line of camels arrived with all sort of gifts. The town people had never seen such a spectacle. When the camel drivers were asked, they said Kanha sent us here. Never have a doubt.

Nani bai ko mairo: It is a tradition in Rajasthan (and elsewhere also) that the maternal uncle of the bride sends gifts for marriage. So, Narsi Bhagat apprised Kanha of his need. See the rest in this video. ('Nani' means the young girl, equivalent to 'nanhi' in Hindi and like the word 'unni' is used in Tamilnadu. Mairo is gift from maternal uncle at the time of his niece's marriage).

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I've fallen out of practice, but I am picking back up! Shiva was like, "where have you been?" lol.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've fallen out of practice, but I am picking back up! Shiva was like, "where have you been?" lol.
A couple of times, on the first day on pilgrimage to Kauai, (that first morning is always special, seeing an old friend, and friends) a senior monk has 'happened' to greet us at the entrance and 100 yard path over to the temple. His words both times were, 'He's waiting for you," as he gestured towards the home of my beloved Nataraja.

So yes, I can relate to the way He communicates. I'm retired so falling out of practice doesn't really enter the picture any more. If I told you my consistency, you probably wouldn't believe it.

Best wishes in establishing consistency. After awhile it becomes extremely difficult to be inconsistent.

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
A couple of times, on the first day on pilgrimage to Kauai, (that first morning is always special, seeing an old friend, and friends) a senior monk has 'happened' to greet us at the entrance and 100 yard path over to the temple. His words both times were, 'He's waiting for you," as he gestured towards the home of my beloved Nataraja.

That made me tear up just now. Wow.