• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily Life

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Anglicans have a litergy almost identical to catholics, and we share most of their saints days and remember people of special significance or respect on other set days ( such as Martin Luther King)
Most churches have the main service of the week as a Eucharist on Sunday morning. However there may be both an earlier morning prayer and an evensong later in the day.
most churches also hold services in the week, ...our church holds a eucharist on Tuesday morning and Thursday Evening ( this one I always attempt to attend)
All sevices follow either the ancient "book of common prayer" or more usually today "the book of common worship"
Services would seem quite complex to newcomers, but are laid out indetail in those books.
Prayers, remembrances of saints. Psalms and readings from the old and new testament follow a three year cycle, shared with the Catholics, and is very complex and has its own reference book.

Psalms are said between the reading of the old and New Testament. Hymns sung and prayers said throughout the service.
If a priest is officiating the climax of the service is the the taking of bread and wine in the Eucharist.

All services are entirely voluntary, there are no obligations, but it is expected that people attend on at least one of the major feasts such as Easter.
There are no daily obligations, rituals or dietary laws.
though the expectation is, that people will give time for daily prayer.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
Orthodox Judaism
(In the interest of keeping it as concise as possible, in addition to the Laws, I won't bring every different custom, just the more common ones.).

Daily

• Upon waking, we immediately say a short one line prayer thanking G-d for returning my soul
  • Immediately after that, we are required to pour water on each hand with a special cup three times consecutively (R,L,R,L,R,L)
  • Getting dressed, I put on the right side of each article of clothing first and then the left side, top to bottom. A fringed garment goes under my shirt. Tying knots (such as for shoes) is left to right.
  • Some people ritually immerse themselves before prayers.
  • Before eating or drinking (except water, tea or coffee) we go to the synagogue for the morning prayers the earliest to do so is about 40 minutes after dawn, but congregations usually begin anywhere from about 40 minutes before sunrise to 3 hours after sunrise:
    • On Sun., Tues., Wed., and Fri. it takes about 45 min to an hour, depending on the speed of the congregation
    • On Mon. and Thurs. it takes an additional 10-15 minutes as there is also reading from the Torah scroll and additional supplications.
  • As an a married man of non-Germanic, European descent, in addition to my phylacteries that I received at the age of 13, I also wear a prayer shawl (which is not actually a shawl and wouldn't even be kosher as a shawl, but there it is) for the morning prayers.
  • After prayers, some take the time to read 1/7 of the weekly Torah portion or other short studying.
  • Now its permitted to eat. Foods are divided into 6 categories with respect to the blessing prior to eating and three categories for the blessing(s) after eating.
    • Eating bread at any time requires ritual washing of the hands with a cup (usually R,R,L,L or R,R,R,L,L,L)
  • After that, there's no ritual obligations until the afternoon services.
  • From 30 minutes after solar noon until sunset, there is an obligation to pray the afternoon services at the synagogue. That takes about 20 or so. No phylacteries or prayer shawls are worn (except the prayer leader who may wear the shawl).
  • Back to work, study, or whatever.
  • From sunset until dawn (although preferably until solar midnight) there is an obligation to pray the evening services at the synagogue. That takes about 20 minutes or so as well. No phylacteries or prayer shawls may be worn.
  • Immediately before going to sleep, we say prayers and blessing for sleeping. Takes about 3-5 minutes.
Weekly
Sabbath
  • On Friday afternoon, the Sabbath comes. Because cooking is not allowed on the Sabbath, from Thursday night or early Friday morning until everything is ready (sometime on Friday...hopefully) we prepare the food.
  • Because many forms of cleaning and bathing is not permitted on the Sabbath, we will do this as well now. Its also customary to cut one's nails and hair (if needed) on Friday (preferably before solar noon).
  • Many ritually purify themselves in a ritual bath in honor of the Sabbath.
  • From 40 minutes before Sunset (18 minutes everywhere outside the Jerusalem region), we take in the Sabbath. At this point, the wife (or if she's not home the husband) will light lights (wax candles or oil) and make a blessing on the Sabbath lights.
  • Around that time (15 minutes later in the Jerusalem region), males will go to the synagogue for the afternoon prayer. This time, its a few minutes shorter.
  • After the afternoon prayer, a bunch of Psalms and a liturgical song are said to usher in the Sabbath.
  • We remain in the synagogue until a certain amount of time after Sunset. Then the evening prayers are said. This version is slightly longer than the regular weekday evening prayers.
  • After the prayers, we return home for a festive meal. All festive meals follow the same formula: We start with a blessing on wine, wash hands then eat bread. Most people will generally follow with fish and then a meat or poultry entree. There is singing.
  • The bed ritual is the same as during the week. On Friday nights, it is strongly encouraged for married couples to have relations (assuming the wife is not within 12 days of starting to menstruate until her ritual immersion, or a day that she had previously started menstruating on).
  • The ritual upon waking is the same as above.
  • Before services many (especially those who engaged in relations the night before) will ritually immerse themselves for purification.
  • Most synagogues hold the morning services on the Sabbath a bit later than during the week. Prayers take about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Phylacteries may not be worn, but a prayer shawl (usually one dedicated for Sabbath and the holidays) is worn.
  • After the morning services, we return home for another festive meal that follows the previous pattern. There is a widespread custom among Jews of all ethnic descents to have a hot entree at this meal.
  • Since all creative activities are prohibited on the Sabbath, after the meal, we will usually nap, spend time with the family and study.
  • Evening services takes about 25 minutes due to an additional short Torah reading. They are usually held any time from 30 minutes after solar noon until about 45 minutes before sunset in order to allow time to start the last festive meal before sunset.
  • After the evening services, the last Sabbath meal is held. There is no blessing on wine, but there is bread. The meal is usually lighter (probably because you're still stuffed from lunch). There is fish. After this meal, we can't eat or drink until after the post-Sabbath ritual.
  • The evening services are usually held about 35-72 minutes after Sunset. They take a few minutes longer than the regular evening services.
  • After the evening services, the post-Sabbath ritual takes place, usually at home. A blessing is made on wine, a flame with 2+ wicks and spices.
  • At some point before going to sleep, there's another post-Sabbath meal, preferably with bread.
Monthly
  • Each month has either 29 or 30 days. The 30th day and 1st day of a month are a minor holiday called the New Month. About 15 minutes of extra prayers and Torah reading is added to the morning prayer service.
  • A prayer is added to the evening prayers (usually after a Sabbath) for the sanctification of the moon. This prayer is added once in the 11 day span between three days after the start of the new month to two weeks after.
  • Some have the custom to add a celebratory meal to the [one or two] days of the New Month.

Wow! That's a lot to keep up with. I pray in the morning and before bed. Try to treat others as I want to be treated.

arthra

Baha'i
There being different religions represented here, I thought we could share what our daily/weekly/monthly/yearly/... life looks like in terms of religious obligations, rituals and the like.

Things like "We have to love G-d" don't count as I'm looking more at "a day (month/year) in the life of", rather than a full dissertation on your religion. I don't think its necessary to include things that might or might not occur like births and deaths.

Daily:

As a Baha'i I usually will recite a prayer on awakening and another when I'm going to sleep..
We are encouraged to read from the Writings and meditate in the morning and evening.

In my case I usually have time after ablutions to recite the long obligatory prayer facing the Qiblih (Bahji in the Holy Land) once every twenty four hours.. in my case the time of day to recite the prayer can vary... I also occasionally recite the Short Obligatory prayer if for some reason I miss the Long one.

Weekly:

In my case I visit a Baha'i Center once a week.. this is not obligatory it's because I have strong ties with that Center going back some fifty years.

Nineteen month calendar:

There are Nineteen Feasts during a Baha'i year. Each Feast is named after an attribute of God and in my community they are usually observed in my home so my wife and I usually plan the Feasts which involve prayers, community business and socializing afterward. The nineteen Feasts with nineteen days in each Baha'i month make up 361 days of the solar year and with an extra four to five days an entire year in a season we call Ayyam-i-Ha in which there are parties and socializing.

Annually:

Every year in the Baha'i calendar there are eleven Holy Days and with the exception of two Holy Days work and school are suspended. These Holy Days are usually related to historical events in Baha'i history...such as the Declaration of the Bab, Martyrdom of the Bab, the Ascension of Baha'u'llah, the Birth of the Bab and the Birth of Baha'u'llah, the Ridvan season when Baha'u'llah declared Himself in Baghdad.

We also observe a nineteen day Fast which involves not eating or drinking from sunrise to sunset. We observe Naw-Ruz on the vernal equinox as our New Year and a Holy Day.

Pilgrimage:

If it is possible to do so every male Baha'i is obligated to make pilgrimage to the Holy Places in the Holy Land once in their life time. Pilgrimage today usually involves a nine day stay around the Baha'i Holy places in the Akka - Haifa area.

Treks

Thanks Tumah! This is a fascinating thread. :)

Although no longer Sikh, I can say a little bit about what a day in the life of a regular Sikh can look like.

Daily

Morning:
  • Get up in what is called the 'amrit vela' anywhere between about 2am and 6am, but usually around 4am, and either bathe (in cold water if you're brave) or at least clean your mouth. I would also comb and plait my hair.
  • Cover the head, as it must be covered whenever reading or reciting scripture.
  • Chant/meditate for a while.
  • Recite 1 song at very minimum (takes about 10-15 minutes), three for mainstream Sikhs (closer to 1 hour), five for the conservative/really eagre (1.5-2 hours).
  • This is often followed by recitation of a prayer called Ardaas - this is the only opportunity a Sikh has to pray with their own words rather than recite or sing songs.
  • This is often followed by taking a Hukamnama which is like 'thought of the day' which is obtained by randomly opening the scripture and reading the top right song. Sikhs who don't keep the scripture in their homes might use an app or website for this purpose. The central Sikh authority in India provides a daily Hukamnama, but it's read in the morning Indian time.
Really devout Sikhs may visit the Sikh temple (Gurdwara) for the above prayers, or go there after they've done their own prayers at home. This routine of prayers is called 'nitnem'.

Evening:
Throughout the day, Sikhs are encouraged to remain in 'simran' or constant remembrance of God, and 'chardi kala' which is high spirits, even in the face of adversity, read scripture, and sing.
  • Before dinner, or around sunset, sing between 1 and 2.5 songs. The .5 is because the version of the song sung (it's called Anand Sahib which means 'Bliss') is a short portion of the whole song.
  • Usually followed by the Ardaas prayer and repetition of the Hukamnama verse from the morning.
Bedtime:
  • Sing one short song which takes 5-10 minutes right before bed.
In Gurdwaras, or in the homes of Sikhs who have the scripture at home, the scripture is ceremonially 'brought out' and 'put to bed' each day.

Weekly

• Most Sikhs go to a Gurdwara on Sunday. At a Gurdwara, everyone takes off their shoes and covers their head, bows to the scripture and offers money, listen to singing of scripture (kirtan), stand and bow at the appropriate time during the formal prayer part of the service (which involves at least the .5 song from sunset, a communal ardaas offered by the priest (called a 'grathi' of 'gyani') and recitation of the hukamnama. An important part of the service is receiving a small portion of sweet mush called 'karah prashad'. It's delicious!
  • A most important part of the Gurdwara experience is helping in the kitchen with dishes, food preparation or cooking, and sharing lunch with the congregation which is held straight after the main service. The food is sanctified with a short ardaas prayer whilst being poked with a sacred knife or sword called a 'kirpan'.
  • Most often the communal meal is held with the congregants sitting on the floor in rows to symbolise everyone being equal.
  • Sometimes Gurdwaras are open more than just Sunday, offering special programs. Sometimes I would also visit the Gurdwara on a Wednesday night when an evening program was held (kirtan and the sunset and bedtime songs recited per 'daily' above, and the scripture is put to bed - as it is taken from it's daily post to it's bedroom, Sikhs prostrate as it passes by). Sometimes I went on a Friday evening when they did a 'simran' program - communal chanting/meditation. On Saturdays some other songs were sung, like a 'Peace of Mind' song (very long) sung often by women.
Yearly

• Special events are often marked by a three-day continuous reading of the scripture cover-to-cover. In the original language, it takes about 32 hours continuous recitation to complete (that is, it never stops being recited; Sikhs take turns on a roster 24 hours to complete it). This recitation is called an Akhand Paath.
  • There are several 'gurpurabs' or days commemorating things from Sikh history, like the first Guru's birthday, and the death of the 10th Guru's sons.
  • A big holiday called Vaisakhi is held around April, marking both the new year and a special event in Sikh history. This is usually celebrated over three days whilst the Akhand Paath is happening - the Gurdwara will be open at all times with food and chai tea available around the clock, ritual changing of the flag that stands outside Gurdwaras (often accompanied by washing the flagpole with milk :/ ) and working bees to thoroughly clean the Gurdwara and its grounds.
I'm sure I've missed out a lot of stuff - Sikhs have a handbook called the Sikh Rehat Maryada that can be downloaded in English if anyone wants all the details. :)

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Orthodox Judaism
(In the interest of keeping it as concise as possible, in addition to the Laws, I won't bring every different custom, just the more common ones.).

Daily

• Upon waking, we immediately say a short one line prayer thanking G-d for returning my soul
  • Immediately after that, we are required to pour water on each hand with a special cup three times consecutively (R,L,R,L,R,L)
  • Getting dressed, I put on the right side of each article of clothing first and then the left side, top to bottom. A fringed garment goes under my shirt. Tying knots (such as for shoes) is left to right.
  • Some people ritually immerse themselves before prayers.
  • Before eating or drinking (except water, tea or coffee) we go to the synagogue for the morning prayers the earliest to do so is about 40 minutes after dawn, but congregations usually begin anywhere from about 40 minutes before sunrise to 3 hours after sunrise:
    • On Sun., Tues., Wed., and Fri. it takes about 45 min to an hour, depending on the speed of the congregation
    • On Mon. and Thurs. it takes an additional 10-15 minutes as there is also reading from the Torah scroll and additional supplications.
  • As an a married man of non-Germanic, European descent, in addition to my phylacteries that I received at the age of 13, I also wear a prayer shawl (which is not actually a shawl and wouldn't even be kosher as a shawl, but there it is) for the morning prayers.
  • After prayers, some take the time to read 1/7 of the weekly Torah portion or other short studying.
  • Now its permitted to eat. Foods are divided into 6 categories with respect to the blessing prior to eating and three categories for the blessing(s) after eating.
    • Eating bread at any time requires ritual washing of the hands with a cup (usually R,R,L,L or R,R,R,L,L,L)
  • After that, there's no ritual obligations until the afternoon services.
  • From 30 minutes after solar noon until sunset, there is an obligation to pray the afternoon services at the synagogue. That takes about 20 or so. No phylacteries or prayer shawls are worn (except the prayer leader who may wear the shawl).
  • Back to work, study, or whatever.
  • From sunset until dawn (although preferably until solar midnight) there is an obligation to pray the evening services at the synagogue. That takes about 20 minutes or so as well. No phylacteries or prayer shawls may be worn.
  • Immediately before going to sleep, we say prayers and blessing for sleeping. Takes about 3-5 minutes.
Weekly
Sabbath
  • On Friday afternoon, the Sabbath comes. Because cooking is not allowed on the Sabbath, from Thursday night or early Friday morning until everything is ready (sometime on Friday...hopefully) we prepare the food.
  • Because many forms of cleaning and bathing is not permitted on the Sabbath, we will do this as well now. Its also customary to cut one's nails and hair (if needed) on Friday (preferably before solar noon).
  • Many ritually purify themselves in a ritual bath in honor of the Sabbath.
  • From 40 minutes before Sunset (18 minutes everywhere outside the Jerusalem region), we take in the Sabbath. At this point, the wife (or if she's not home the husband) will light lights (wax candles or oil) and make a blessing on the Sabbath lights.
  • Around that time (15 minutes later in the Jerusalem region), males will go to the synagogue for the afternoon prayer. This time, its a few minutes shorter.
  • After the afternoon prayer, a bunch of Psalms and a liturgical song are said to usher in the Sabbath.
  • We remain in the synagogue until a certain amount of time after Sunset. Then the evening prayers are said. This version is slightly longer than the regular weekday evening prayers.
  • After the prayers, we return home for a festive meal. All festive meals follow the same formula: We start with a blessing on wine, wash hands then eat bread. Most people will generally follow with fish and then a meat or poultry entree. There is singing.
  • The bed ritual is the same as during the week. On Friday nights, it is strongly encouraged for married couples to have relations (assuming the wife is not within 12 days of starting to menstruate until her ritual immersion, or a day that she had previously started menstruating on).
  • The ritual upon waking is the same as above.
  • Before services many (especially those who engaged in relations the night before) will ritually immerse themselves for purification.
  • Most synagogues hold the morning services on the Sabbath a bit later than during the week. Prayers take about 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Phylacteries may not be worn, but a prayer shawl (usually one dedicated for Sabbath and the holidays) is worn.
  • After the morning services, we return home for another festive meal that follows the previous pattern. There is a widespread custom among Jews of all ethnic descents to have a hot entree at this meal.
  • Since all creative activities are prohibited on the Sabbath, after the meal, we will usually nap, spend time with the family and study.
  • Evening services takes about 25 minutes due to an additional short Torah reading. They are usually held any time from 30 minutes after solar noon until about 45 minutes before sunset in order to allow time to start the last festive meal before sunset.
  • After the evening services, the last Sabbath meal is held. There is no blessing on wine, but there is bread. The meal is usually lighter (probably because you're still stuffed from lunch). There is fish. After this meal, we can't eat or drink until after the post-Sabbath ritual.
  • The evening services are usually held about 35-72 minutes after Sunset. They take a few minutes longer than the regular evening services.
  • After the evening services, the post-Sabbath ritual takes place, usually at home. A blessing is made on wine, a flame with 2+ wicks and spices.
  • At some point before going to sleep, there's another post-Sabbath meal, preferably with bread.
Monthly
  • Each month has either 29 or 30 days. The 30th day and 1st day of a month are a minor holiday called the New Month. About 15 minutes of extra prayers and Torah reading is added to the morning prayer service.
  • A prayer is added to the evening prayers (usually after a Sabbath) for the sanctification of the moon. This prayer is added once in the 11 day span between three days after the start of the new month to two weeks after.
  • Some have the custom to add a celebratory meal to the [one or two] days of the New Month.

I am intrigued by your LRLRRL ritual required sequences. Are there special exceptions for people who lost an arm? I hope so, it would add insult to injury to go to hell when a limb is amputated.

Ciao

- vioe

Tumah

Veteran Member
I am intrigued by your LRLRRL ritual required sequences. Are there special exceptions for people who lost an arm? I hope so, it would add insult to injury to go to hell when a limb is amputated.

Ciao

- vioe
It would add insult to injury if all the Jews were punished for not offering the sacrifices that we were commanded to, in the Temple that doesn't exist. We don't have a concept of being punished for something that's impossible to do.

According to the reason behind the sequence, there would be no need for someone with one arm to alternate.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It would add insult to injury if all the Jews were punished for not offering the sacrifices that we were commanded to, in the Temple that doesn't exist. We don't have a concept of being punished for something that's impossible to do.

According to the reason behind the sequence, there would be no need for someone with one arm to alternate.

And what are those reasons behind the sequence?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
It has to do with that type of impurity moving from one hand to the other. Not something that's going to happen for someone with one hand.

So, if I replace L with R, and viceversa, everything would be hunky dory. Right?

Ciao

- viole

Tumah

Veteran Member
So, if I replace L with R, and viceversa, everything would be hunky dory. Right?

Ciao

- viole
No. Unlike other cases, in this instance even a left-handed person would start with the right if it is being alternated.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
No. Unlike other cases, in this instance even a left-handed person would start with the right if it is being alternated.

Yes, but why?

If there is an impurity somewhere, it should be exactly compensated by the purity of the reversed sequence.

Or is the impurity LR (RL) greater than the purity RL (LR)?

Ciao

- viole

Tumah

Veteran Member
Yes, but why?

If there is an impurity somewhere, it should be exactly compensated by the purity of the reversed sequence.

Or is the impurity LR (RL) greater than the purity RL (LR)?

Ciao

- viole
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere (which doesn't mean very much), but my understanding is that it would be like trying to peel an orange from the inside out:
- The right side represents a spiritually higher plane than the left. In order to raise the left up, the right has to move up first.
- When you bring down the influence of the water, it has to pass through the right in order to get to the left.
- So long as the impurity has a hold on the higher plane, it can render the levels underneath it impure again.

So washing the left first wouldn't be so effective. That's what I think although this is not the type of question that I'm equipped to answer.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
@Tumah I erased your OP example for space.

Daily, I give water to the spirits and mostly my grandmothers and deceased on earth. Sometimes I pour three different spots for those I am praying for. I try to do this morning and evening; but, I'm a spontaneous person, so I do it daily but a lot of times when I get a message or a blessing. Then I feel I have to in a good way. Usual daily short prayers is a given.

Weekly

I don't have a weekly obligation

Monthly

I try to plan my day around the moon phases. Water is becoming more active in my spiritual practice; and, the moon has a lot to do with water-ocean, fluids in our body, and in turn it influences our emotions and so forth.

I am incorporating more celebration days and months that US have like Coming Out Day, GLBTQIA awareness month in June, November Epilepsy awareness day, Easter to remember the sacraments I took at the Church by witnessing new Catholics during the Easter Vigil. Things that make up who I am as a person. Not limited to.

I feel more productive and "religious" when I'm advocating for the right of others, giving others knowledge such as when I taught, and just being a friend and listening ear.

That's the tip of the iceburg. A work in progress.

David1967

Premium Member
No disrespect toward anyone intended, but it almost seems like some of these rituals were made up by someone suffering from a severe case of OCD.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Like I said in the alien forum on meditating for world peace (and it's always important):

What can a Raelian (and you) do with your time? (some religions can use prayer in stead of meditating too) (oh yeah this is not official but probably all correct)
In 1 second, have a positive thought. Every second your brain transforms, either in a sequence of positive or negative thoughts.
In 1 minute, meditate for peace. It will orient your day to help others.
In 1 hour, have relaxing fun. It will make you be more productive the rest of the day.
In 1 day, meditate for yourself to do well. Beginners take 12 minutes; advanced a few seconds.
In 1 week, try to get out of your current rut of helping people more by just being nice to people in the week. If you are bored as a young adult/teenager you can try living a different religion each day of the week. You can also do a twenty four hour water fast if you are an adult to clean out toxins. A Raelian would also attempt telepathic communication.
In a month, you can go to an online meditation through rael.org. While waiting, write a list and plan out the rest of your life as much as you can. Don't limit yourself in years or ability as technology might help you with these later - write it as drawn out as possible. You can have branches.
In a year, check out the happiness academy to see if you want to attend. While waiting strengthen yourself and boost your effort to get your goals done if you want.
In 10 years, try to help discover all the branches of science and technology. Science might be mapped out by then. A Raelian would use the book intelligent design.
In 100 years, a Raelian would struggle for the safety and prosperity of society as much as possible.

As for Raelian holidays we have 4: On the first Sunday of April man was created, on Aug. 6 earth's humanity had its life in its hands (nuclear bomb going off), on Oct. 7 I think was Rael's first meeting with Aliens, God in his true form, and on Dec. 13 Rael went to that God's planet (those might be switched). A person can only have their cellular plan's transmission (baptism) on those dates in specific places. It doesn't cost a cent to be Raelian.

Tumah

Veteran Member
No disrespect toward anyone intended, but it almost seems like some of these rituals were made up by someone suffering from a severe case of OCD.
I don't think so. I imagine that most if not all the rituals people are speaking about, have some type of logic behind them even if that's not immediately apparent.

David1967

Premium Member
I don't think so. I imagine that most if not all the rituals people are speaking about, have some type of logic behind them even if that's not immediately apparent.

I'm sure your right. Keeping in mind that I am an outsider, that's why I said "it seems". And again I'm not trying to be disrespectful. But again "from an outsider", it looks like a whole lot of touch this but not that. Wash this first and never this and especially not that on this day. I'm curious about the what and why's of such ritual things, and your right that your faith is not the only one that has seemingly odd rituals. That is why in my post I didn't single out a particular religion by name.