• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily LDS Wisdom

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: Marriages Are Enriched When They Include God

"Of all that can bless marriages, there is one special enriching ingredient, which above all else will help join a man and a woman together in a very real, sacred, spiritual sense. It is the presence of the divine in marriage. Shakespeare, speaking in Henry the Fifth, said, 'God, the best maker of all marriages, combine your hearts in one.' (Henry V, 5:2.) God is also the best keeper of marriages."

( President James E. Faust, "The Enriching of Marriage," Ensign, Nov. 1977, 10)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Gems from the Teachings of Church Leaders
Gaining a Testimony of Priesthood Keys
---------------------------------------------------

"All of us who serve others in the true Church . . . want to help those we love gain a lasting testimony that the keys of the priesthood are held by the Lord's servants in His Church. I . . . encourage all who labor to instill and strengthen that testimony.
"It will help to recognize some things. First, God is persistent and generous in offering the blessings of priesthood power to His children. Second, His children must choose for themselves to qualify for and receive those blessings. And third, Satan, the enemy of righteousness, has from the beginning tried to undermine the faith necessary to receive the blessings made possible by
priesthood power."

Topics: testimony, priesthood

( Elder Henry B. Eyring, "Faith and Keys," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 26-27)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Sister Elaine S. Dalton on Believing

"The Lord has promised us that as we 'search diligently, pray always, and be believing, . . . all things [will] work together for [our] good' (D&C 90:24). That doesn't mean that everything will be perfect or that we will not have any trials, but it does mean that everything will be okay if we just 'hang in there.' Ours is the opportunity to 'be . . . an example of the believers' (1 Timothy 4:12), and the Savior has promised that 'all things are possible to him that believeth' (Mark 9:23). So believe in yourselves. Believe that you are never alone. Believe that you will always be
guided."

Topic: Faith

( "Believe!" Ensign, May 2004, 110)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Youth: Elder Cecil O. Samuelson Jr. on Protection in Perilous Times

"How grateful I am, in these perilous times, for the protection and guidance given to us by the sacred assurance that Jesus Christ lives today."

Topics: testimony, peace, Jesus Christ

( "Perilous Times," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 51)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Recognizing the Authorized Servants of God

"It has always been hard to recognize in fallible human beings the authorized servants of God. Paul must have seemed an ordinary man to many. Joseph Smith's cheerful disposition was seen by some as not fitting their expectations for a prophet of God.

"Satan will always work on the Saints of God to undermine their faith in priesthood keys. One way he does it is to point out the humanity of those who hold them. He can in that way weaken our testimony and so cut us loose from the line of keys by which the Lord ties us to Him."

Topics: keys, authority

( Elder Henry B. Eyring, "Faith and Keys," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 28.)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: Marriage Is the Way Provided by God for Fulfilling the Greatest of Human Needs

"There is no great or majestic music which constantly produces the harmony of a great love. The most perfect music is a welding of two voices into one spiritual solo. Marriage is the way provided by God for the fulfillment of the greatest of human needs, based upon mutual respect, maturity, selflessness, decency, commitment, and honesty. Happiness in marriage and parenthood can exceed a thousand times any other happiness."

Topics: Marriage

( President James E. Faust, "The Enriching of Marriage," Ensign, Nov. 1977, 11)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Stakes of Zion Are Places of Safety

"The stakes of Zion become places of safety. They become like a great family, united, caring for each other. It comes by simple faith.

"By faith they are baptized and receive the Holy Ghost. As they continue to keep the commandments, that gift becomes constant. They can recognize spiritual things. It becomes easier to see the power of God working through the common people God calls to serve and lead them. Hearts are softened. Strangers become fellow citizens in the Lord's kingdom, united in loving bonds."

Topics: stakes, unity, family

( Elder Henry B. Eyring, "Faith and Keys," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 29)

DeepShadow

White Crow
President Gordon B. Hinckley on Answers to Prayer

"There has come to you as your birthright something beautiful and sacred and divine. Never forget that. Your Eternal Father is the great Master of the universe. He rules over all, but He also will listen to your prayers . . . and hear you as you speak with Him. He will answer your prayers. He will not leave you alone."

Topic: Prayer

( "Stay on the High Road," Ensign, May 2004, 112 )

DeepShadow

White Crow
President Gordon B. Hinckley on Humility

"Do we really comprehend, do we understand the tremendous significance of that which we have? This is the summation of the generations of man, the concluding chapter in the entire panorama of the human experience.

"But this does not put us in a position of superiority. Rather, it should humble us. It places upon us an unforgiving responsibility to reach out with concern for all others in the spirit of the Master, who taught, 'Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself' (Matthew 19:19). We must cast out self-righteousness and rise above petty self-interest."

(Topic: humility)

( "The Dawning of a Brighter Day," Ensign, May 2004, 83-84)

DeepShadow

White Crow
President Gordon B. Hinckley on the Help of the Lord

"Never assume that you can make it alone. You need the help of the Lord. Never hesitate to get on your knees in some private place and speak with Him. What a marvelous and wonderful thing is prayer. Think of it. We can actually speak with our Father in Heaven. He will hear and respond, but we need to listen to that response. Nothing is too serious and nothing too unimportant to share with Him."

Topic: Prayer

( "Stay on the High Road," Ensign, May 2004, 114)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Youth: Elder M. Russell Ballard on Testimony

Elder M. Russell Ballard on Testimony

"Simply stated, testimony--real testimony, born of the Spirit and confirmed by the Holy Ghost--changes lives. It changes how you think and what you do. It changes what you say. It affects every priority you set and every choice you make."

Topic: testimony

( "Pure Testimony," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 40)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Claiming Blessings That Can Be Ours

"Sometimes we just lose our focus and drift away. Sometimes we have our feelings hurt or some other problem occurs. It all ends up the same, and we fail to claim the blessings that can be ours. Pride, distrust, deceit, discouragement, and many kinds of sin can be removed by a change in our hearts and by following the path that the Savior has shown us. . . . The Savior has paid our ransom. He loves each of us and reaches out to all who will come and follow Him."

Topics: blessings, pride, Savior

( Elder Ned B. Roueché, "Feed My Sheep," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 30)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: The Home Should Be a Sanctuary

"Our homes should be among the most hallowed of all earthly sanctuaries.

"In the enriching of marriage the big things are the little things. It is a constant appreciation for each other and a thoughtful demonstration of gratitude. It is the encouraging and the helping of each other to grow. Marriage is a joint quest for the good, the beautiful, and the divine.

"The Savior has said, 'Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.' (Rev. 3:20.)"

Topics: Marriage, Family, Home

( President James E. Faust, "The Enriching of Marriage," Ensign, Nov. 1977, 11)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Elder M. Russell Ballard on Seeking Every Wayward Child of God

"If we truly understood the Atonement and the eternal value of each soul, we would seek out the wayward boy and girl and every other wayward child of God. We would help them to know of the love Christ has for them. We would do all that we can to help prepare them to receive the saving ordinances of the gospel."

(Topic: individual worth)

( "The Atonement and the Value of One Soul," Ensign, May 2004, 86 )

DeepShadow

White Crow
We Are Capable of So Much More

"In the absence of a compelling testimony, some have let their daily thoughts and actions become so focused on the things of the world that they have minimized the influence of the light of the gospel in their everyday lives.

"And then as Elder Neal A. Maxwell has so eloquently described, also included are those ' "honorable" members who are skimming over the surface instead of deepening their discipleship and who are casually engaged rather than "anxiously engaged" (D&C 76:75; 58:27)' (in Conference Report, Oct. 1992, 89; or Ensign, Nov. 1992, 65). . . .

" . . . President Gordon B. Hinckley . . .said: 'I have been quoted as saying, "Do the best you can."
But I want to emphasize that it be the very best. We are too prone to be satisfied with mediocre performance. We are capable of doing so much better' ("Standing Strong and Immovable," Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting, 10 Jan. 2004, 21)."

Topics: discipleship, excellence, diligence

( Elder Donald L. Staheli, "Securing Our Testimonies," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 37)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Elder Robert D. Hales on Mortality

"Any of us may experience a spouse, a child, a parent, or a member of our extended family suffering in one way or another--mentally, physically, emotionally, or spiritually--and we may experience these tribulations ourselves at times. In short, mortality is not easy.

"Each family has its own special circumstances. But the gospel of Jesus Christ addresses every challenge--which is why we must teach it to our children."

Topic: trials

( "With All the Feeling of a Tender Parent: A Message of Hope to Families," Ensign, May 2004, 88)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: Elder Cecil O. Samuelson Jr. on Spiritual Gifts

"In our own day, we have been promised that the Lord has many gifts in store for 'those who love [Him] and keep all [His] commandments' and also those 'that seeketh so to do' (D&C 46:9). While not every gift of God is pledged to every person, we have been assured that 'to every [person] is given a gift by the Spirit of God' (D&C 46:11)."

Topic: spiritual gifts

( "Perilous Times," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 51)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Forgiving Others Frees Us to Progress

"When we forgive and let go of that which has weighed heavily on our hearts and taken us off the path, a great burden is lifted from our souls, and we are free--free to move forward and progress in our pursuit of the gospel of Jesus Christ with an increase of love in our hearts. We will be blessed with an increase of enthusiasm for life, and our hearts will be lighter. A surge of spiritual energy will propel us forward in joy and happiness. The problems of the past will be cast away like old, worn-out clothes."

Topics: forgiveness, spirituality, personal growth

( Elder Ned B. Roueché, "Feed My Sheep," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 30-31)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Women Blessing Those in Distress

"How has Relief Society blessed your life?

"I asked this question of President Hinckley. He responded: 'Relief Society has blessed my family and the family of my dear wife for some seven generations. Since the earliest days of the Church, our mothers and daughters have been taught of their obligations to those in distress. They have been schooled in the finer points of homemaking, encouraged in their spiritual development, and guided in the realization of their full potential as women. Much of this has taken place in Relief Society and has then been brought home to bless the life of each member of my family.'"

Topics: Relief Society, service, compassion

( Sister Bonnie D. Parkin, "How Has Relief Society Blessed Your Life?" Ensign, Nov. 2004, 34-35)

DeepShadow

White Crow
How Relief Society Blesses Us and Others

"Relief Society has helped me know the Savior and has strengthened my love for Him and my Heavenly Father. My belonging to Relief Society has provided me with many opportunities to learn, love, serve, and be filled with the love of the Lord in my life as I strive to keep my covenants, exercise charity, and strengthen my family. . . .

" . . . How many ways has Relief Society blessed your life?"

Topics: Relief Society, blessings, Savior

( Sister Bonnie D. Parkin, "How Has Relief Society Blessed Your Life?" Ensign, Nov. 2004, 35)