• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily LDS Wisdom

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: Parents Can Best Teach Their Children by Example

"We cannot control what others choose to do, and so we cannot force our children to heaven, but we can determine what we will do. And we can decide that we will do all we can to bring down the powers of heaven into that family we want so much to have forever.

"A key for us is in the proclamation: 'Happiness in family life is most likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus Christ.'

"What could make it more likely that people in a family would love and serve one another, observe the commandments of God, and obey the law? It is not simply teaching them the gospel. It is in their hearing the word of God and then trying it in faith. If they do, their natures will be changed in a way that produces the happiness they seek."

Topics: Parenthood, Teaching, Family

( Elder Henry B. Eyring, "The Family," Ensign, Feb. 1998, 18)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: Our Choices Determine Our Destiny

"It has been said that the gate of history turns on small hinges, and so do people's lives. The choices we make determine our destiny."

Topics: choices, goals

( President Thomas S. Monson, "Choose You This Day," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 67)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: Ordinary Members Are the Power and Future of the Church

"For more than 40 years, my wife and I have traveled over the earth. We know members of the Church in perhaps a hundred countries. We have felt the power in their simple faith. Their individual testimonies and their sacrifice have had a profound effect on us. . . .

" . . . The great work of moving the gospel forward has in the past, does now, and will in the future depend upon ordinary members."

Topics: Church activity, self-worth

( President Boyd K. Packer, "The Least of These," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 87)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: The Savior Will Not Leave Us Comfortless

Many . . . suffer heartbreak, loneliness, pain, and setback. These experiences are a necessary part of the human experience. However, please do not lose hope in the Savior and His love for you. It is constant. He promised that He would not leave us comfortless (see John 14:18)."

Topics: loneliness, experience, Comforter

( Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Press On," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 103)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Youth: Elder D. Todd Christofferson on the Blessings of Obeying God

"The blessings that flow from welcoming God's rule in our lives are so enticing, and the alternative so appalling, that if we see things in their true light, we cannot be kept from walking in wisdom's
paths."

( "Allegiance to God," Ensign, Jan. 2005, 9-10)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Note: I'm no longer as active in RF as I was, and I don't know when I'll be able to resume, but I'd like to keep the Daily LDS Wisdom thread active. It was suspended pending clearer permissions from Intellectual Reserve, the owners of the information. Now that permission has arrived, I can resume posting here, and I hope to catch it up within the next few days. Thanks for your patience!

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: Becoming Who and What We Are

"In common with all of the human family--everyone being the progeny of our loving Heavenly Father--we share vast congruence in our DNA or genetic physical makeup, as well as the universally possible and promised blessings and characteristics that identify our divine parentage and spiritual potential. It is this special blending of our common origins and characteristics and also of our unique attributes, experiences, and specialized challenges that makes each of us who and what we are."

Topics: individual worth, challenges, learning

( Elder Cecil O. Samuelson Jr., "Perilous Times," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 49)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: Spiritual Eyesight from the Touch of the Master's Hand

"Those who have felt the touch of the Master's hand somehow cannot explain the change which comes into their lives. There is a desire to live better, to serve faithfully, to walk humbly, and to be more like the Savior. Having received their spiritual eyesight and glimpsed the promises of eternity, they echo the words of the blind man to whom Jesus restored sight: 'One thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see' (John 9:25)."

Topics: commitment, conversion, Jesus Christ, spirituality

( President Thomas S. Monson, "Anxiously Engaged," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 58)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Gems from the Teachings of Church Leaders
President James E. Faust on Making a Stand
---------------------------------------------------

"So where should each of us make our stand? As we demonstrate our devotion to God by our daily acts of righteousness, He can know where we stand. For all of us this life is a time of sifting and refining. We all face trials. Individual members in the early days of the Church were tested and refined when they had to decide if they had the faith . . . to put their belongings in a wagon or a pioneer handcart and travel across the American plains. Some did not have the faith. Those who did traveled 'with faith in every footstep.' In our time we are going through an increasingly difficult time of refining and testing. The tests are more subtle because the lines between good and evil are being eroded. Very little seems to be sacred in any of our public communication. In this environment we will need to make sure where we stand all of the time in our commitment to eternal truths and covenants."

Topics: steadfastness, faith, commitment

( "Where Do I Make My Stand?" Ensign, Nov. 2004, 21)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: The Family Is a Fundamental Unit

"The family unit is fundamental not only to society and to the Church but also to our hope for eternal life. We begin to practice in the family, the smaller unit, what will spread to the Church and to the society in which we live in this world, which will then be what we practice in families bound together forever by covenants and by faithfulness. We can start now to 'promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family.' I pray that we will. I pray that you will ask, 'Father, how can I prepare?' Tell him how much you want what he desires to give you. You will receive impressions, and if you act on them, I promise you the help of the powers of heaven."

Topics: Family

( Elder Henry B. Eyring, "The Family," Ensign, Feb. 1998, 18)

DeepShadow

White Crow
How Firm a Foundation

"Fear not, I am with thee; oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God
and will still give thee aid.
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and
cause thee to stand, . . .
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent
hand."

Topic: faith, strength

( "How Firm a Foundation," Hymns, no. 85.)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Defeating the Enemy of Achievement

"Each of us should remember that he or she is a son or daughter of God, endowed with faith, gifted with courage, and guided by prayer. Our eternal destiny is before us. . . .

"At times many of us let that enemy of achievement--even the culprit 'self-defeat'--dwarf our aspirations, smother our dreams, cloud our vision, and impair our lives. The enemy's voice whispers in our ears, 'You can't do it.' 'You're too young.' 'You're too old.' 'You're nobody.' This
is when we remember that we are created in the image of God. Reflection on this truth provides a profound sense of strength and power."

Topics: discouragement, self-esteem

( President Thomas S. Monson, "Choose You This Day," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 68)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Youth: President Gordon B. Hinckley on the Symbol of Our Faith

"The lives of our people must become the most meaningful expression of our faith and, in fact, therefore, the symbol of our worship."

( "The Symbol of Our Faith," Ensign, Apr. 2005, 3)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland on Facing Doubt and Discouragement

"In the gospel of Jesus Christ you have help from both sides of the veil and you must never forget that. When disappointment and discouragement strike--and they will--you remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see riding at reckless speed to come to our protection. They will always be there, these armies of heaven, in defense of Abraham's seed."

( "For Times of Trouble," New Era, Oct. 1980, 15)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Beware of the "Slick Package"

"Arguments . . . will come at you in classrooms and hallways, in what you read, and in what you see in popular entertainment. Many in the world deny the need for a Savior. Others deny that there is any right or wrong, and they scoff at the idea of sin or a devil. Still others rely on the mercy of God and ignore His justice. . . .

"Be not deceived. . . Heed the ancient and modern prophetic warnings against thievery, drunkenness, and all forms of sexual sin. The deceiver seeks to destroy your spirituality by all of these means. . . . Beware of the slick package and the glitz of a good time. What the devil portrays as fun can be spiritually fatal."

Topics: deceit, sin, temptation

( Elder Dallin H. Oaks, "Be Not Deceived," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 44-45)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: Communication Is Key to Successful Marriage Relationships

"Marriage relationships can be enriched by better communication. One important way is to pray together. This will resolve many of the differences, if there are any, between the couple before sleep comes. I do not mean to overemphasize differences, but they are real, and make things interesting. Our differences are the little pinches of salt which can make the marriage seem sweeter. We communicate in a thousand ways, such as a smile, a brush of the hair, a gentle touch, and remembering each day to say 'I love you' and the husband to say 'You're beautiful.' Some other important words to say, when appropriate, are 'I'm sorry.' Listening is excellent communication."

Topics: Marriage

( President James E. Faust, "The Enriching of Marriage," Ensign, Nov. 1977, 10)

DeepShadow

White Crow
The Magnitude of the Messiah's Service to Us

"When we begin to understand the magnitude of [the Messiah's] sacrifice and service to us individually and collectively, we then cannot consider anything else to be of more importance or to approach His significance in our lives. "For most of us, this understanding does not come all at once and likely will not be fully complete during our mortal sojourn. We do know, however, that as we learn line upon line, our appreciation for the Savior's contributions will increase and our knowledge and assurance of their truthfulness will grow."

Topics: testimony, Messiah, truth

( Elder Cecil O. Samuelson Jr., "Perilous Times," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 50-51)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Youth: Elder M. Russell Ballard on Testifying

"Having a testimony alone is not enough. In fact, when we are truly converted, we cannot be restrained from testifying. And as it was with Apostles and faithful members of old, so is it also our privilege, our duty, and our solemn obligation to 'declare the things which [we] know to be true' (D&C 80:4)."

( "Pure Testimony," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 41)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Ensuring the Comfort and Happiness of Our Companions

"If every husband and every wife would constantly do whatever might be possible to ensure the comfort and happiness of his or her companion, there would be very little, if any, divorce. Argument would never be heard. Accusations would never be leveled. Angry explosions would not occur. Rather, love and concern would replace abuse and meanness."

Topics: marriage, kindness, divorce

( President Gordon B. Hinckley, "The Women in Our Lives," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 84)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Remove Needless Guilt through Repentance

"Some worry endlessly over missions that were missed, or marriages that did not turn out, or babies that did not arrive, or children that seem lost, or dreams unfulfilled, or because age limits what they can do. I do not think it pleases the Lord when we worry because we think we never do
enough or that what we do is never good enough.

"Some needlessly carry a heavy burden of guilt which could be removed through confession and repentance."

Topics: repentance, guilt, forgiveness

( President Boyd K. Packer, "The Least of These," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 87)