• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily LDS Wisdom

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: Elder Vaughn J. Featherstone on the Monumental Work of the Pioneers

"The glory of God is portrayed in the lives of the Latter-day Saint pioneer men, women, and children who placed all they had on the altar. They were prepared to give everything, including their lives. These pioneers forged lives that were fired white hot in the crucible of some of the most difficult suffering and tests. This was a magnificent generation of common, ordinary souls who were brought together through their faith in God and who moved forward to meet danger and trials. They were given a monumental work to do, and they did it."

( "Following in Their Footsteps," Ensign, July 1997, 8)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: Marriage Is Necessary to God's Plan

"We are taught that marriage is necessary for the accomplishment of
God's plan, to provide the approved setting for mortal birth, and to
prepare family members for eternal life. 'Marriage is ordained of God
unto man,' the Lord said, 'that the earth might answer the end of
its creation; and that it might be filled with the measure of man,
according to his creation before the world was made' (D&C
49:15-17).

"Our concept of marriage is motivated by
revealed truth, not by worldly sociology. The Apostle Paul taught
'neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the
man, in the Lord' (1 Cor. 11:11). President Spencer W. Kimball
explained, 'Without proper and successful marriage, one will never be
exalted' (Marriage and Divorce, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1976,
p. 24)."

( (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, "The Great Plan of Happiness," Ensign, Nov. 1993, 74))

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: President Gordon B. Hinckley on the Book of Mormon

"I take in my hand the Book of Mormon. I read its words. I have read
Joseph Smith's explanation of how it came to be. To the unbelieving it
is a story difficult to accept, and critics for generations have worn out
their lives writing books intended to refute that story and to offer other
explanations than the one given by Joseph the Prophet. But to the
open-minded, this critical writing has only stimulated them to dig
deeper; and the more deeply they dig, the greater the accumulation of
evidence for the validity of Joseph Smith's story. Still, as has been
demonstrated for a hundred and fifty years, the truth of the Book of Mormon
will not be determined by literary analysis or by scientific research,
although these continue to be reassuring. The truth about the origins of
the Book of Mormon will be determined today and tomorrow, as it has been
throughout the yesterdays, by reading the book in a spirit of reverence and
respect and prayer."

( "Praise to the Man," Ensign, Aug. 1983, 4)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: President James E. Faust on Priesthood Power

"Each of you [brethren] has been endowed with unique talents
and abilities. That, coupled with some special powers of the priesthood,
will help you tremendously in any endeavor. It will be a great challenge to
be in the royal army that takes the Church into the future under the
guidance of the Lord and His leaders. It will also be a most rewarding and
exciting experience. It will require great faith, sacrifice, discipline,
commitment, and effort. I have every confidence that you are equal to
it."

( "Pioneers of the Future: 'Be Not Afraid, Only Believe,' " Ensign, Nov. 1997, 44)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Youth: Elder Lance B. Wickman on Standing in Holy Places

"Latter-day revelations . . . teach that in our day, amidst
strife and catastrophe and pestilence, there are two kingdoms locked in
grim struggle for the souls of men--Zion and Babylon. More than
once they repeat the command to 'stand in holy places' for a refuge
from these storms of latter-day life (D&C 45:32; see also D&C 87:8;
D&C 101:16-23). Prominent among such holy places, and key to all the
others, is the temple of the Lord."

( "In a Holy Place," New Era, Apr. 2005, 45)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: Faith Requires an Active Effort

"The first step to finding faith in the Lord Jesus Christ is to let
His word--spoken by the mouth of His servants, the
prophets--touch your heart. But it is not enough merely to let
those words wash over you, as if they alone could transform you. We must do
our part. . . . Hearing requires an active effort. . . . It means taking
seriously what is taught, considering it carefully, studying it out."

( Elder Robert D. Hales, "Finding Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ" Ensign, November 2004, 72)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: The Family Is Ordained of God

"The family is ordained of God. Marriage between man and woman is
essential to His eternal plan. Children are entitled to birth within the
bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor
marital vows with complete fidelity. Happiness in family life is most
likely to be achieved when founded upon the teachings of the Lord Jesus
Christ. Successful marriages and families are established and maintained on
principles of faith, prayer, repentance, forgiveness, respect, love,
compassion, work, and wholesome recreational activities. By divine design,
fathers are to preside over their families in love and righteousness and
are responsible to provide the necessities of life and protection for their
families. Mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their
children. In these sacred responsibilities, fathers and mothers are
obligated to help one another as equal partners. Disability, death, or
other circumstances may necessitate individual adaptation. Extended
families should lend support when needed."

( ("The Family: A Proclamation to the World," Ensign, Nov. 1995, 102))

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: We Must Develop Our Own Individual Testimonies

"We have been sent here to work out our individual salvation through
the tests and challenges of daily life. We cannot do that by relying
heavily upon the borrowed light of someone else's testimony. As we
receive inspiration when we hear prophets, leaders, and peers bear their
testimonies, those spiritual feelings should further enhance our desire to
strengthen our own convictions."

( Elder Donald L. Staheli, "Securing Our Testimonies," Ensign, November 2004, 39.)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: A Precious Testimony That God and His Son Live

"After ages of darkness and apostasy, Joseph Smith beheld a remarkable
vision of the Father and the Son in the Sacred Grove. Clearly, in our world
today it is a rare and precious thing to have a testimony that God our
Heavenly Father lives; that His Son, Jesus Christ, is our Savior and
Redeemer; and that priesthood authority to administer the gospel of Jesus
Christ has been restored once again upon the earth. The profound blessing
of having a testimony of these truths cannot be measured or ever taken for
granted."

( Elder M. Russell Ballard, "Pure Testimony," Ensign, November 2004, 40.)

emmaleebee

GEMS-Teachings: Seeking Truth by the Spirit, not Rationalization

"We live in a day of rationalization; people want to discount spiritual experiences, and they deny themselves revelation. What happened to the seeking mind, the open mind, the inquiring mind--one seeking to know truth and knowledge? We tend to rely on our own rational powers. The Lord wants us to be sensitive to the Spirit."

( Elder Ronald T. Halverson, "I Stand at the Door, and Knock," Ensign, November 2004, 33.)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Youth: Elder Glenn L. Pace on Humility vs. Lack of Confidence

"Too often we wallow in our weaknesses so much that we do not allow 'weak things' to 'become strong.' Our condition is frequently misdiagnosed as humility, when in reality it is a lack of confidence."

( "Confidence and Self-Worth," Ensign, Jan. 2005, 32)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: With Tender Care Our Testimonies Grow Stronger and Brighter

"There is a flame of desire for good deep within each of us. When that flame is fed and nurtured with the eternal truths of the gospel and the testimony of the Spirit, it will respond and grow stronger and brighter until it leads us to the fulness of truth. The flame must be kindled by love and tender care, then followed by constant nourishing. It is like the gardener who raises beautiful flowers. The constant, tender care and nourishment over time brings beautiful blossoms that are enjoyed by all who see them."

( Elder Ned B. Roueché, "Feed My Sheep," Ensign, November 2004, 30.)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: Recognizing the Authorized Servants of God

"It has always been hard to recognize in fallible human beings the authorized servants of God. Paul must have seemed an ordinary man to many. Joseph Smith's cheerful disposition was seen by some as not fitting their expectations for a prophet of God.

"Satan will always work on the Saints of God to undermine their faith in priesthood keys. One way he does it is to point out the humanity of those who hold them. He can in that way weaken our testimony and so cut us loose from the line of keys by which the Lord ties us to Him."

( Elder Henry B. Eyring, "Faith and Keys," Ensign, November 2004, 28.)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Family: Our Ultimate Earthly Treasures Are Our Family

"The Savior taught that we should not lay up treasures on earth but should lay up treasures in heaven (see Matt. 6:19-21). In light of the ultimate purpose of the great plan of happiness, I believe that the ultimate treasures on earth and in heaven are our children and our posterity."

( (Elder Dallin H. Oaks, "The Great Plan of Happiness," Ensign, Nov. 1993, 75))

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: President Gordon B. Hinckley on the Faith of the Pioneers

"I have often read the words of a thirteen-year-old girl, my wife's grandmother. I regard them as something of a classic. Her family was converted in Brighton, England, in 1856. They sold their possessions and sailed from Liverpool with 900 others on the vessel Horizon. After six weeks at sea they landed at Boston and then traveled by steam train to Iowa City for fitting out.

"There they purchased two yoke of oxen, one yoke of cows, a wagon, and a tent. They were assigned to travel with and assist one of the handcart companies.

"At Iowa City their first tragedy also occurred. Their youngest child, less than two years of age, suffering from exposure, died and was buried in a grave never again visited by a member of the family. My wife's grandmother, then a thirteen-year-old girl, wrote of their experiences:

"'We traveled from fifteen to twenty-five miles a day . . . till we got to the Platte River. . . . We caught up with the handcart companies that day. We watched them cross the river. There were great lumps of ice floating down the river. It was bitter cold. The next morning there were fourteen dead. . . . We went back to camp and had our prayers and . . . sang "Come, Come Ye Saints, No Toil Nor Labor Fear." I wondered what made my mother cry that night. . . . The next morning my little sister was born. It was the twenty-third of September. We named her Edith.
She lived six weeks and died. . . . She was buried at the last crossing of the Sweetwater.

" 'When we arrived at Devil's Gate it was bitter cold. We left many of our things there. . . . My brother James . . was as well as he ever was when we went to bed that night. In the
morning he was dead. . . .

" 'My feet were frozen; also my brother's and my sister's. It was nothing but snow. We could not
drive the pegs in our tents. . . . We did not know what would become of us. Then one night a man came to our camp and told us . . . Brigham Young had sent men and teams to help us. . . . We sang songs; some danced, and some cried. . . .

" 'My mother never got well. . . . She died between the Little and Big Mountains. . . . She was forty-three years of age. . . .

" 'We arrived in Salt Lake City nine o'clock at night the eleventh of December, 1856. Three out of the four that were living were frozen. My mother was dead in the wagon. . . .

" 'Early next morning Brigham Young came. . . . When he saw our condition, our feet frozen and our mother dead, tears rolled down his cheeks. . . .

" 'The doctor amputated my toes . . . while the sisters were dressing mother for her grave. . . . That afternoon she was buried.

" 'I have often thought of my mother's words before we left England. "Polly, I want to go to Zion while my children are small so that they can be raised in the Gospel of Jesus Christ" ' (Mary Goble Pay, ms. in possession of author)."

( "The Faith of the Pioneers," Ensign, July 1984, 5-6)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: What It Means to Study

Elder D. Todd Christofferson said: "For the gospel to be written in your heart, you need to know what it is and grow to understand it more fully, . . . sometimes reading a few verses, stopping to ponder them, carefully reading the verses again, and as you think about what they mean, praying for understanding, asking questions in your mind, waiting for spiritual impressions, and writing down the impressions and insights that come so you can remember and learn more. Studying in this way, you may not read a lot of chapters or verses in a half hour, but you will be giving
place in your heart for the word of God, and He will be speaking to you."

( "When Thou Art Converted," Ensign, May 2004, 11)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: President James E. Faust on Choosing Wisely for the Future

"As we look into the future, we are going to need to be stronger and more responsible for our choices in a world where people 'call evil good, and good evil' (2 Nephi 15:20). We do not choose wisely if we use our agency in opposition to God's will or to priesthood counsel. Tomorrow's blessings and opportunities depend on the choices we make today."

( "Choices," Ensign, May 2004, 54 )

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: President Thomas S. Monson on Decisions

"Life's journey is not traveled on a freeway devoid of obstacles, pitfalls, and snares. Rather, it is a pathway marked by forks and turnings. Decisions are constantly before us. To make them wisely, courage is needed: the courage to say, 'No,' the courage to say, 'Yes,' Decisions do determine destiny. The call for courage comes constantly to each of us. It has ever been so, and so shall it ever be."

( "The Call for Courage," Ensign, May 2004, 54-55)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Youth: President Ezra Taft Benson on the Book of Mormon

"The Book of Mormon brings men to Christ. The Doctrine and Covenants brings men to Christ's kingdom, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 'the only true and living church upon the face of the whole earth' (D&C 1:30). I know that."

( "The Book of Mormon and the Doctrine and Covenants," Ensign, Jan. 2005, 26)

DeepShadow

White Crow
GEMS-Teachings: Elder Robert D. Hales on the Challenges of Mortality

"When the challenges of mortality come, and they come for all of us, it may seem hard to have faith and hard to believe. At these times only faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and His Atonement can bring us peace, hope, and understanding. Only faith that He suffered for our sakes will give us the strength to endure to the end. When we gain this faith, we experience a mighty change of heart, and like Enos, we become stronger and begin to feel a desire for the welfare of our brothers and sisters. We pray for them, that they too will be lifted and strengthened through faith on the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ."

( "Finding Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 73)