• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Daily LDS Wisdom

DeepShadow

White Crow
Our Work Has a Higher Purpose

" 'Now, I, the Lord, am not well pleased with the inhabitants of Zion, for there are idlers among them; and their children are also growing up in wickedness; they also seek not earnestly the riches of eternity, but their eyes are full of greediness.

" 'These things ought not to be, and must be done away from among them' (D&C 68:31-32).

"I have a special concern about the Lord's reference to our children. We see evidence of many parents who overindulge their children without adding sufficient training about the value of work.

"In any community of Saints, we all work to serve each other in the best way we know how. Our work has a higher purpose because it is work to bless others and to build the kingdom of God."

Topics: work, worldliness

( L. Tom Perry, "Building a Community of Saints," Ensign, May 2001, 37)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Gems from the Teachings of Church Leaders
Lessons of Love
---------------------------------------------------

"None of us will forget that gray morning in January when our beloved teacher announced to us that the mother of one of our classmates had passed away. We thought of our own mothers and how much they meant to us. We felt sorrow for Billy Devenport in his great loss.

"The lesson that Sunday was from the book of Acts, chapter 20, verse 35: 'Remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.' At the conclusion of the presentation of a well-prepared lesson, Lucy Gertsch [our teacher] commented on the economic situation of Billy's family. These were depression times; money was scarce. With a twinkle in her eyes, she asked, 'How would you like to follow this teaching of the Lord? How would you feel about taking your party fund and, as a class, giving it to the Devenports as an expression of our love?' The decision was unanimous. We counted very carefully each penny and placed the total sum in a large envelope.

"Ever shall I remember the tiny band walking those three city blocks, entering Billy's home, greeting him, his brother, sisters, and father. Noticeably absent was his mother. Always I shall treasure the tears which glistened in the eyes of each one present as the white envelope containing our precious party fund passed from the delicate hand of our teacher to the needy hand of a grief-stricken father. We fairly skipped our way back to the chapel. Our hearts were lighter than they had ever been, our joy more full, our understanding more profound. This simple act of kindness welded us together as one. We learned through our own experience that indeed it is more blessed to give than to receive.

"The years have flown. The old chapel is gone, a victim of industrialization. The boys and girls who learned, who laughed, who grew under the direction of that inspired teacher of truth have never forgotten her love or her lessons."

Topics: teaching, service, love, blessings, sacrifice

( Thomas S. Monson, "An Attitude of Gratitude," Ensign, Feb. 2000, 5-6)

DeepShadow

White Crow
We Are Capable of So Much More

"In the absence of a compelling testimony, some have let their daily thoughts and actions become so focused on the things of the world that they have minimized the influence of the light of the gospel in their everyday lives. . . .

". . . Elder Neal A. Maxwell . . . eloquently described, . . . ' "honorable" members who are skimming over the surface instead of deepening their discipleship and who are casually engaged rather than "anxiously engaged" (D&C 76:75; 58:27)' (in Conference Report, Oct. 1992, 89; or Ensign, Nov. 1992, 65). . . .

"President Gordon B. Hinckley [admonished] all of us when he said: 'I have been quoted as saying, "Do the best you can." But I want to emphasize that it be the very best. We are too prone to be satisfied with mediocre performance. We are capable of doing so much better' ("Standing Strong and Immovable," Worldwide Leadership Training Meeting, 10 Jan. 2004, 21)."

Topics: discipleship, excellence, diligence

( Donald L. Staheli, "Securing Our Testimonies," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 37)

DeepShadow

White Crow
An Ensign to the Nations

"Brothers and sisters, as we hold up like a banner the proclamation to the world on the family and as we live and teach the gospel of Jesus Christ, we will fulfill the measure of our creation here on earth. We will find peace and happiness here and in the world to come. We should not need a hurricane or other crisis to remind us of what matters most. The gospel and the Lord's plan of happiness and salvation should remind us. What matters most is what lasts longest, and our families are for eternity."

Topics: gospel of Jesus Christ, plan of salvation, eternal families.

( M. Russell Ballard, "What Matters Most Is What Lasts Longest," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 44 )

DeepShadow

White Crow
Making Our Stand with the Lord

"In an increasingly unjust world, to survive and even to find happiness and joy, no matter what comes, we must make our stand unequivocally with the Lord. We need to try to be faithful every hour of every day so that our foundation of trust in the Lord will never be shaken. My message is one of hope and counsel for those who may wonder about the seemingly unfair distribution of pain, suffering, disaster, and heartache in this life."

Topics: commitment, dedication

( James E. Faust, "Where Do I Make My Stand?" Ensign, Nov. 2004, 18 )

DeepShadow

White Crow
We Can Receive Spiritual Reassurance in Response to Our Prayers

"How often have each of us fallen to our knees with . . . feelings of inadequacy and need for divine reassurance? . . .

"[As did Joseph Smith,] we too can receive spiritual reassurance in response to our prayers. We can receive a witness that our Father in Heaven knows us by name and that He has an earthly mission for us to fulfill."

Topics: prayer, guidance

( Susan W. Tanner, "Glad Tidings from Cumorah," Ensign, May 2005, 104)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Serving in Our Father's Kingdom

"May God bless each of us in our calls to serve. May our faith strengthen as we serve in righteousness, faithfully keeping the commandments. May our testimonies ever grow stronger as we seek to find the fountain of eternal truth. May the brotherhood that exists in our quorum be of comfort and strength and security as we pass through this mortal part of our existence. May the joy of gospel service ever abide in our hearts as we go forward to fulfill our duties and responsibilities as servants in our Father in Heaven's kingdom."

Topics: brotherhood, security, responsibility

( L. Tom Perry, "What Is a Quorum?" Ensign, Nov. 2004, 26)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Basing Our Testimony on Truth

"Enduring to the end means that we have planted our lives firmly on gospel soil, staying in the mainstream of the Church, humbly serving our fellow men, living Christlike lives, and keeping our covenants. Those who endure are balanced, consistent, humble, constantly improving, and without guile. Their testimony is not based on worldly reasons--it is based on truth, knowledge, experience, and the Spirit."

Topics: testimony, endurance, truth

( Joseph B. Wirthlin, "Press On," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 101)

DeepShadow

White Crow
The Joy of Being with Our Savior in the Eternities

"The way to find joy in this life is to resolve, like Job, to endure all for God and His work. By so doing we will receive the infinite, priceless joy of being with our Savior in the eternities."

Topics: endurance, eternal life

( James E. Faust, "Where Do I Make My Stand?" Ensign, Nov. 2004, 21)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Become More Christlike

"Now, my brethren and sisters, the time has come for us to stand a little taller, to lift our eyes and stretch our minds to a greater comprehension and understanding of the grand millennial mission of this The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is a season to be strong. It is a time to move forward without hesitation, knowing well the meaning, the breadth, and the importance of our mission. It is a time to do what is right regardless of the consequences that might follow. It is a time to be found keeping the commandments. It is a season to reach out with kindness and love to those in distress and to those who are wandering in darkness and pain. It is a time to be considerate and good, decent and courteous toward one another in all of our relationships. In other words, to become more Christlike."

Topics: gospel of Jesus Christ, Christlike living

( Gordon B. Hinckley, "This Is the Work of the Master," Ensign, May 1995, 71)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Mighty, Even unto Deliverance

"Happiness comes as a result of our obedience and our courage in always doing the will of God, even in the most difficult circumstances. When the prophet Lehi warned the inhabitants of Jerusalem, they mocked him, and, as with other ancient prophets, they sought to take away his life. I quote the prophet Nephi: 'I . . . will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance' (1 Nephi 1:20 )."

Topics: happiness, obedience, faith

( Benjamin De Hoyos, "True Happiness: A Conscious Decision," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 31)

DeepShadow

White Crow
The Purpose of Adversity

"Let us turn our attention to the reasons or purposes for such calamities. Fortunately, debate is not needed here because we have the fulness of Christ's gospel on which we can rely. Search the words of the prophets in the Book of Mormon and the Bible; read the teachings of Jesus Christ in the 24th chapter of Matthew (see also Joseph Smith--Matthew); study the Lord's latter-day revelations in the Doctrine and Covenants (see D&C 45; 88; 101; 133). Herein we learn the purposes of God in such matters.

"Calamities are a form of adversity, and adversity is a necessary part of Heavenly Father's plan for the happiness of His children.

"If our hearts are right before God, adversity will school us, help us overcome our carnal nature, and nurture the divine spark within us. Were it not for adversity, we would not know to 'choose the better part' ("Father in Heaven, We Do Believe," Hymns, no. 180). Adversity helps us see where we need to repent, to bring into subjection baser instincts, to embrace righteousness and enjoy 'peace of conscience' (Mosiah 4:3)."

Topics: Adversity, scripture study, prophets

( Keith B. McMullin, "Be Prepared . . . Be Ye Strong from Henceforth," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 10-11)

DeepShadow

White Crow
There Shall Be "Enough and to Spare"

"Faith, spirituality, and obedience produce a prepared and self-reliant people. As we obey the covenant of tithing, we are shielded from want and the power of the destroyer. As we obey the fast and give generously to care for others, our prayers are heard and family fidelity increases. Similar blessings come as we obey the counsel of the prophets and live within our means, avoid unnecessary debt, and set aside sufficient of life's necessities to sustain ourselves and our families for at least a year. This may not always be easy, but let us do our 'very best,' and our stores shall not fail--there shall be 'enough and to spare' (D&C 104:17)."

Topics: faith, obedience, self-reliance, blessings, debt

( Keith B. McMullin, "Be Prepared . . . Be Ye Strong from Henceforth," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 12)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Gems from Church History: The Holy Ghost Is a Revelator

Joseph Smith
Nauvoo, Illinois
October 15, 1843

"No man can receive the Holy Ghost without receiving revelations. The Holy Ghost is a revelator."

Topics: Holy Ghost, revelation

( History of the Church, 6:58)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Finding Breathing Space in Holy Places

"We are bombarded on all sides by a vast number of messages we don't want or need. More information is generated in a single day than we can absorb in a lifetime. To fully enjoy life, all of us must find our own breathing space and peace of mind. How can we do this? There is only one answer. We must rise above the evil that encroaches upon us. We must follow the counsel of the Lord, who said, 'It is my will, that all they who call on my name, and worship me according to mine everlasting gospel, should gather together, and stand in holy places' (D&C 101:22)."

Topics: peace, spirituality, evil

( James E. Faust, "Standing in Holy Places," Ensign, May 2005, 62)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Elder David A. Bednar on Integrity

"People of integrity and honesty not only practice what they preach, they are what they preach. And the Savior stands as the finest example."

( "Be Honest," New Era, Oct. 2005, 7)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Strengthening Our Faith in God

"However much faith to obey God we now have, we will need to strengthen it continually and keep it refreshed constantly. We can do that by deciding now to be more quick to obey and more determined to endure. Learning to start early and to be steady are the keys to spiritual preparation. Procrastination and inconsistency are its mortal enemies.

"Let me suggest to you four settings in which to practice quick and steady obedience. One is the command to feast upon the word of God. A second is to pray always. A third is the commandment to be a full-tithe payer. And the fourth is to escape from sin and its terrible effects. Each takes faith to start and then to persevere. And allcan strengthen your capacity to know and obey the Lord's commands."

Topics: Spiritual preparedness, faith, prayer, tithing, gospel study

( Henry B. Eyring, "Spiritual Preparedness: Start Early and Be Steady," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 38)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Everyone Yearns to Love and Be Loved

"Every person who comes to earth is a spirit son or daughter of God. Since all love emanates from God, we are born with the capacity and the desire to love and to be loved. One of the strongest connections we have with our premortal life is how much our Father and Jesus loved us and how much we loved Them. Even though a veil was drawn over our memory, whenever we sense true love, it awakens a longing that cannot be denied."

Topics: love, God the Father, Jesus Christ

( John H. Groberg, "The Power of God's Love," Ensign, Nov. 2004, 9)

DeepShadow

White Crow
Taking Time for Prayer in a Busy World

"The warnings of the Prophets and Apostles lead them ever and always to speak of the home and family. Let me demonstrate the warning voice of the Prophets. On February 11 of this year, the First Presidency, with the support of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, sent to every member of the Church a letter of counsel concerning our families. Let me read you just two sentences from this letter:

" 'We counsel parents and children to give highest priority to family prayer, family home evening, gospel study and instruction, and wholesome family activities. However worthy and appropriate other demands or activities may be, they must not be permitted to displace the divinely appointed duties that only parents and families can adequately perform' ('Policies, Announcements, and Appointments,' Ensign, June 1999, 80).

"What is our reaction to this prophetic counsel? What has been my response and your response to this First Presidency letter of nearly eight months ago?

"As a parent of teenagers in a busy world, I can confirm that it takes giving these issues our highest priority to see them effectively work in our family. . . . With the influences of evil that surround our children, can we even imagine sending them out in the morning without kneeling and humbly asking together for the Lord's protection? Or closing the day without kneeling together and acknowledging our accountability before Him and our thankfulness for His blessings? Brothers and sisters, we need to have family prayer."

Topics: family, prayer

( Neil L. Andersen, "Prophets and Spiritual Mole Crickets," Ensign, Nov. 1999, 17)

DeepShadow

White Crow
We Must Have a Change of Heart

Joseph Smith
Nauvoo, Illinois
October 15, 1843

"It is one thing to see the kingdom of God, and another thing to enter into it. We must have a change of heart to see the kingdom of God, and subscribe the articles of adoption to enter therein."

Topics: Conversion, change of heart

( History of the Church, 6:58)