• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

D.Trump advices corona patients to take unproven drug

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
There might be one good thing here:
Maybe others see it like you do, and next time the majority of Americans won't vote for Trump
The majority didnt vote for him the last time. The American people DID reject his sorry *** four years ago.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I have totally no problem with it, that Trump says this
The more mistakes Trump makes the better, because then people wake up, and choose another president next time (I prefer a president who speaks the truth)

Last edited:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see any problem with this. If it were a brand new drug that hadnt been tested that would be different.But
Hydroxychloroquin Sulfate is fda approved and is already being used to treat malaria, so I would assume it's already run the gauntlet of tests, and any risks and side effects are already well known.

I think this is a case of: it might not help, but then again it might, and in any case it wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I don't see any problem with this. If it were a brand new drug that hadnt been tested that would be different.But
Hydroxychloroquin Sulfate is fda approved and is already being used to treat malaria, so I would assume it's already run the gauntlet of tests, and any risks and side effects are already well known.

I think this is a case of: it might not help, but the again it might, and in any case it wouldn't hurt.
This.
I don't know Trump's exact wording. He does have a tendency to shoot off his mouth, and his supporters a tendency to hand wave that away, and his detractors a tendency to overdramatic paraphrase.

Given the size and complexity of the C19 disaster I would fully expect desperate measures. Including risky things like fast tracking possible treatments, even letting people try them under certain circumstances that would be stupid under normal circumstances.
Tom

esmith

Veteran Member
I say as long as your doctor prescribes it go for it.
I'm not sure what drug it was but we had to take it before a port call at Honiara, Guadalcanal. Also not sure if we had to take a drug after we left, too many years ago but it was to combat malaria

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I say as long as your doctor prescribes it go for it.
And more to the point, do you understand all the risks being taken?
Most of the time the risks are pretty well known.

In this case they're just not.

But if a well educated person is willing to try it, under careful supervision by a doctor, more power to them. They can dramatically speed up learning about the effects of the drug on C19.
Tom

stvdv

Given the size and complexity of the C19 disaster I would fully expect desperate measures. Including risky things like fast tracking possible treatments, even letting people try them under certain circumstances that would be stupid under normal circumstances.
Tom
They can start testing on a few tigers now. But I think the immune system of the tigers is strong enough; they need no medicines:)

Tiger at NYC's Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

It seems "human gave it to tiger" here. The whole thing allegedly started in China with "an animal giving it to a human". It might be getting very complex, if animals start transferring the virus to humans and v.v.

In my street there are like 50 mini-tigers (cats) walking around. They are quite good at estimating distance; this 1.5 meter is no problem for them. They jump into your arms from 1.5 meter distance without a problem:D.

And they have this "friendly habit" of touching you with their tail. How to explain to them "No, no. Wait till Corona is gone"

Their major problem, though, would be "don't lick your paws" and definitely "don't lick others"

Terry Sampson

I hope you are right with this, the alternative would be worse
By "the alternative" do you mean "the current crisis, within the U.S., confirms that the Federal Government's Executive Branch is being managed at the topmost level, by a cabal of people who are acting intentionally"???

stvdv

By "the alternative" do you mean "the current crisis, within the U.S., confirms that the Federal Government's Executive Branch is being managed at the topmost level, by a cabal of people who are acting intentionally"???
No, the current crisis does not confirm this IMO. But, I can not believe that a big country like the USA is run by fools, can you? I can imagine that smart guys use fools to accomplish things, and stay out of the spotlights themselves. But, USA being run by fools, I just can't believe this.

And yes, it would be really bad if smart guys do bad things intentionally.

And Trump is not a complete fool. He is a billionaire after all, if below link is not a "fake news"
Trump’s Net Worth Drops $1 Billion As Coronavirus Infects The President’s Business

esmith

Veteran Member
And more to the point, do you understand all the risks being taken?
Most of the time the risks are pretty well known.

In this case they're just not.

But if a well educated person is willing to try it, under careful supervision by a doctor, more power to them. They can dramatically speed up learning about the effects of the drug on C19.
Tom
Well at the minimum 340 of us took a malaria drug prior and probably after visiting Guadalcanal without any issues. I wouldn't have any problem taking the drug as long as my doctor said go for it.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well at the minimum 340 of us took a malaria drug prior and probably after visiting Guadalcanal without any issues. I wouldn't have any problem taking the drug as long as my doctor said go for it.
You were, I presume, a young healthy dude under supervision.

You may, possibly, find that things are different now. Being the old curmudgeon you are now, you'd do well to get a lot better informed than you were back in the Marines(or whatever) 100 years ago.

You may find out that the drug wasn't as safe as you were lead to believe.

I'm not saying that I know anything important about the treatment, I know virtually nothing. I'm just recommending becoming well informed before becoming part of a government testing program, regardless of what your doctor says.

Remember the Tuskegee Airmen?
Tom

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm pretty certain it isn't Trump himself. I think it's doctors who recommended that and Trump just relayed the information to John Q Public.

But if you want to think Trump 'prescribed' this, knock yourself out.
Except that doctors, and for the most part medical associations, are refusing to make that recommendation. While the FDA (run by a Trump appointee) has approved it on an emergency basis, and only pro tem, the European Medical Assocation refuses to do so, because the science simply is not there, and so far does not support it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
But there are lots and lots of drugs you've taken over your life that did no harm? Why not take all them, too? You know, get a bunch of antibiotics into your system, as you have for various infections in the past -- which not only didn't hurt you, but cleared up the infections! So why not take those?

(Unless you know that there are other dangers in doing that, like teaching those critters that those drugs are used to fight how to become immune to those drugs, and therefore gain extra killing power.)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think this is a case of: it might not help, but then again it might, and in any case it wouldn't hurt.
That's what Trump is been trying to relay all along. Besides, it would take a medical doctor to prescribe it unless it's over the counter or something that I'm not aware of.

stvdv

And Trump is not a complete fool. He is a billionaire after all, if below link is not a "fake news"
Trump’s Net Worth Drops $1 Billion As Coronavirus Infects The President’s Business

IF below is not "fake news" then it makes sense, why Trump advised to use hydroxychloroquine
Donald Trump Has Stake In Hydroxychloroquine Drugmaker: Report

President Donald Trump reportedly owns a stake in a company that produces hydroxychloroquine, the anti-malaria drug he has repeatedly touted as a coronavirus treatment even though his experts say there’s no strong evidence it works.

Trump “has a small personal financial interest” in Sanofi, the French drugmaker that makes Plaquenil, the brand-name version of hydroxychloroquine, The New York Times reported Monday.

stvdv

Trump's threat to India: Why the US President can't dictate terms?
This Indian female reporter gives a clear answer

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

We still test drug for new usage even if it's an FDA approved drug, because it can make symptoms worse for off-target usage (such as the worry of fever reducers making coronavirus worse.)

Hydroxychloroquine can cause significant negative side effects. And can even be fatal especially for people with heart problems. In France cardiac arrest is why they stopped trials. In cases where it is used (as n anti-malarial treatment or for Lupus patients), it's ramped up slowly and under blood tests and monitoring by doctors.

But more importantly, Trumps advisors have told him this, and the CDC is even removing dosage information from their website because people should definitely not be taking this unless prescribed and monitored by a doctor. Trump has said you're not going to be hurt and you won't diefrom this pill, even though people have.
CDC removes guidance on drugs touted by Trump to treat coronavirus
Mayo Clinic cardiologist: 'Inexcusable' to ignore hydroxychloroquine side effects

Shaul

Premium Member
Personally, I can't believe USA is controlled by Trump...there must be some "smart" guys at the top...using Trump for their personal agenda
But who is the greatest fool: Trump or the ones voting for Trump to become president?
1 fool would be no problem for the USA
Wow, you’re “smarter” than so many people. Must be nice.