• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Déjà Vu?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: Has anyone here ever experienced a Déjà Vu? And what exactly are they?

I sometimes have them, I wouldn't say frequently, but sometimes

I wonder if there's anything supernatural about them...

I used to think they were "save points" in the progress of my life - so that if I went and got killed my life would rewind to the point of the Déjà Vu, and I'd then carry on living my life in a different way with no memories in tact from the first time I went down the time-line. But I have abandoned this as it implies the entire universe revolves around me. And I now that know it doesn't.

In The Matrix films a Déjà Vu is a sign that someone is interfering with the code that makes up The Matrix, but I've long since abandoned the idea reality is a computer simulation...

Perhaps it's some kind of neurological glitch...

Or maybe it's just that my life is very repetitive :D

exchemist

Veteran Member
Question: Has anyone here ever experienced a Déjà Vu? And what exactly are they?

I used to think they were "save points" in the progress of my life - so that if I went and got killed my life would rewind to the point of the Déjà Vu, and I'd then carry on living my life in a different way with no memories in tact from the first time I went down the time-line. But I have abandoned this as it implies the entire universe revolves around me. And I now that know it doesn't.

In The Matrix films a Déjà Vu is a sign that someone is interfering with the code that makes up The Matrix, but I've long since abandoned the idea reality is a computer simulation...

I believe I once read they come from a glitch in the operation of the brain, whereby your sense of time gets scrambled for some event so that you think you have predicted it. Or something. Anyway they are not supernatural, that's for sure.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I believe I once read they come from a glitch in the operation of the brain, whereby your sense of time gets scrambled for some event so that you think you have predicted it. Or something. Anyway they are not supernatural, that's for sure.

I just saw something medical on this. It seems to happen more often with young minds and people with epilepsy. While I was being treated for epilepsy they happened alot. Once it cleared up they stopped.

My thoughts, all most all of mine happened before something bad to me occurred. It got to the point I would change what I was doing whenever they occurred. The brain is always predicting future events. For example you can't catch a ball unless you can predict where it will be. Your senses are always reporting slightly behind reality. What dejavu and prophesy are the times when the brain allows you to see its predictions real time before fully processed. Sometimes they are pretty accurate. My opinion.

Heyo

Veteran Member

It is belied to be a glitch. (Current hypothesis that makes most sense but couldn't be confirmed enough to be called a theory.)
The usual flow of information is from the senses to your conscious mind and at the same time from the senses to short term memory. Sometimes, when you have a neural or psychological condition like epilepsy or when you are tired, your consciousness lags in evaluating sensory information. Then it happens that the information is already in memory and your consciousness perceives the sensory data as something that already happened (because it has a memory record of it).

So if you have deja vu often, maybe try to get more/better sleep and/or try to be more mindful of your surroundings.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

I think everybody gets deja Vu now and again. Most of mine has to do with past dreams and then all of a sudden I would experience something and think I already lived through this it's from that dream I had.

I think it's due to our minds having evolved for seeking out patterns and similarities that we can relate with that creates deja vu. Things that are similar seem to have the uncanny ability to strike a mental trigger when you experience what you think is the same thing again at another point in time.