• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Custom-Tailored Workout Routines

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'll try the exercises you mention here. I can't say for sure what the problem is; actually, the chiropractor said if I came in for it again, he was going to do X-Rays.

I agree, physio would be best, but they want to usually see you multiple times a week(at the very least once per week), and I can neither bring the kids with, nor find anyone to watch them to that frequency. I'm stuck piecing together what I can with what I have to work with.

Perhaps I can find a witch doctor who would come to the house.
Really? I went to the doctor's surgery once, explained my problem to the physio, he gave me an examination and sent me away to try the exercises, saying come back if it doesn't get better in a few weeks. Which it did so I never went back. But then, he isn't trying to make money out of me, unlike the US health system.......

But I agree. You do not want a series of supervised sessions, you want a suite of exercises to try at home - and report back if necessary.

P.S. If you do try any exercise I've mentioned, do it gently and cautiously at first, eh? I don't to be responsible for making you worse.;)

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Really? I went to the doctor's surgery once, explained my problem to the physio, he gave me an examination and sent me away to try the exercises, saying come back if it doesn't get better in a few weeks. Which it did so I never went back. But then, he isn't trying to make money out of me, unlike the US health system.......

But I agree. You do not want a series of supervised sessions, you want a suite of exercises to try at home - and report back if necessary.

P.S. If you do try any exercise I've mentioned, do it gently and cautiously at first, eh? I don't to be responsible for making you worse.;)

I've had some wonderful physio experiences, but they were all repetitive appointments. The US system definitely tries to keep the money coming in.

I think I can handle those exercises pretty well. I suspect what I needed was someone to help put me back together after the last pregnancy; having a child a 34 took a bit of a toll on me the way the earlier two kids didn't. I was able to go to PT for some lower back issues right after, but they were only able to address the lower back(insurance reasons, of course), and a lot else went by the wayside. I think this hip issue stems from that.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I wish you the best of luck!

If you're inclined to share any of your health issues, I would be interested to read about how you navigate them in your attempt to find a suitable workout routine. I understand if you would rather keep them private, though. No pressure.

Shoot... There is a lot of ground to cover. So I'll start with he basics :p.

I have osteopenia. It was osteoporosis for a while (yes, I'm too young for it).

Then there is the opposite problem that you have. My feet are waaaay too flat. Almost less then a 10° arch. Which when coupled with osteopenia/porosis, leads to shin and forearm splints (minor fractures/sensitivities).

Then I also get major tendonitis in my Achilles tendon(s) that crops up occasionally thanks to the flat feet, and garbage bones.

There's arthritis in my wrists, hand, and one ankle (talonavicular).

My medications cause weight gain (and a desire for carbs).

This is excluding neurologic stuff, such as nerve pain.

I is a bit of a broke mess. Haha .

FB_IMG_1660092886751.jpg

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

The problem with this. From what I have heard from physio's. Is actually ensuring people are doing the exercises.

JCBayley

For personalized workout routines that cater to your specific needs, you might want to consider consulting with a physical therapist or a certified personal trainer who can tailor a program to accommodate your cubital tunnel syndrome, carpal tunnel syndrome, scoliosis, and high foot arches. They can help you find alternative exercises and stretches that won't aggravate your conditions.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The idea for this thread is born from my recent search for a suitable sport/workout routine. I have multiple issues I have to work around when exercising:

- I have cubital tunnel syndrome, which is entrapment of the ulnar nerve around the elbow, in both arms and carpal tunnel syndrome in my dominant hand. This makes a variety of exercises such as pull-ups, push-ups, and lifting very painful and harmful in my case.

- I have mild scoliosis, so there are some stretching exercises and yoga poses I need to avoid as well.

- This one is the most recent issue I found out about: since I have high foot arches, running and specific leg/foot workouts are also medically unadvisable for me. I had severe tendinitis when I was in the army because I ran and did leg workouts before realizing my high foot arches were an issue.

What about you? Have you found a suitable workout routine that avoids straining your health issues while still being helpful?
In recent years pain science has made great strides. A basic understanding of what pain does and does not mean can help everyone live fuller lives with less chronic pain. So here's the nickle tour:

1 - We don't have "pain" receptors in our bodies. Instead, we have various mechanoreceptors that respond to touch, pressure, temperature, stretching and so on.
2 - When mechanoreceptors experience stimuli, they send messages to the brain.
3 - The brain uses the context of the moment, plus its understanding of the world, plus input from mechanoreceptors to determine whether to issue pain signals to the tissue or not.

4 - We also have a brain/body proprioceptive map (or just "map"). This map helps us know where we are in relationship to external objects, but it also keeps our bodies in communication with our brains. When all is well with a body part, there is a steady, high quality communication of data between the brain and that body part.

Interlude: One of the brain's most important jobs is to keep the body safe. The brain is extremely conservative in this regard. It takes a
"better safe than sorry" approach to protect the body.

5 - When we experience a traumatic event to our tissue, the mechanoreceptors send the news to the brain. Usually, the brain sends pain signals back to the troubled tissue. The pain tends to make us immobilize that part of our body which helps it heal.
6 - Tissue is really good at healing itself, but it takes time, sometimes weeks or months.
7 - During the healing process, the map between the brain and the healing tissue loses quality. The brain gets sporadic or misleading or reduced data. The brain decides it cannot really trust the data it's getting from that tissue, and as a defense mechanism it continues to send immobilizing pain signals to that tissue. Again, better safe than sorry!
8 - It is frequently the case that tissue fully heals from a traumatic event, but the tissue is still painful. It will remain painful indefinitely until the map is restored.

==

"Imperfect" tissue

Well first it's really important to know that whatever state your tissue is in, there are thousands and thousands of people with "worse" tissue, who are pain free. It's becoming increasingly clear that the top doctors in the world, when looking at X-rays and scans and such cannot accurately predict who's in pain and who isn't. Spines that look like total wrecks belong to people who are pain free, and spines that look perfect are owned by people with chronic, debilitating pain.

There is a low correlation between pain and tissue damage !!! (Let that rattle around in your brain for a while.)

So when you hear "bone on bone" or "compressed disks" or "scoliosis", it doesn't necessarily mean you're doomed to living in pain or that you'll have to restrict your lifestyle!! There are no guarantees of course, but often you can have "imperfect" tissue and live a full, active, pain free life.

What to do?

Once the tissue has had a chance to heal, job one is to restore the map to that tissue.

Novel adjacent: Bodies are complex, interconnected systems. PTs often say "it ain't where you think it is". If you have pain in your wrist, it could well be because of restricted mobility in your shoulder, and so on.

The first thing to do is try movements using your painful tissue, up to, but not into the pain. E.g., maybe you can move your wrist a little to the left before you experience pain. Try raising your elbow and seeing if that impacts how much you can do pain-free wrist movements. Try rotating your forearm and see how that affects your painfree range of motion. And so on.

The idea is to give your brain as much painfree data as possible adjacent to the painful tissue. You are restoring the map to that area. In many cases, when the map is restored, the brain will decide that the tissue is good to go, and it will stop issuing defensive pain signals.

Next, work on your overall body mobility. There is an important distinction between flexibility and mobility. For example, a lot of people are flexible enough to do the yoda pose "downward dog". They can get into a perfect 90 degree bent posture. But gravity is helping, they are not using their own muscles to achieve that posture. Many people who can do downward dogs, cannot lie flat on their backs and raise both legs straight up in the air to achieve that same bend. It's mobility that allows that.

So flexibility is good, but we really want mobility. Mobility is flexibility under our own power.

So we all need to do mobility exercises to keep our tissue strong and our maps strong. Exercises like squatting and hanging from bars, and doing pushups and so on can often eliminate pain in seemingly unrelated parts of the body.

Okay, that's a lot for one post ;)

Last edited:

icehorse

Premium Member
@exchemist @lewisnotmiller @Secret Chief @Debater Slayer @The Hammer @JustGeorge @Subduction Zone @Shaul

I think many of you are resigning yourselves to unnecessary pain and/or unnecessary lifestyle restrictions!

In this thread you've all said stuff that demonstrates outdated thinking about pain and exercise. The latest thinking on these topics probably won't help all of you, but it almost certainly help some of you and it won't hurt to try.

I can guarantee you that whatever you think is wrong with your body, there are tens of thousands of people with worse conditions, that are living pain free and not restricting their lifestyles.

There, the gauntlet has been thrown ;)

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
@exchemist @lewisnotmiller @Secret Chief @Debater Slayer @The Hammer @JustGeorge @Subduction Zone @Shaul

I think many of you are resigning yourselves to unnecessary pain and unnecessary lifestyle restrictions!

In this thread you've all said stuff that demonstrates outdated thinking about pain and exercise. The latest thinking on these topics probably won't help all of you, but it almost certainly help some of you and it won't hurt to try.

I can guarantee you that whatever you think is wrong with your body, there are tens of thousands of people with worse conditions, that are living pain free and not restricting their lifestyles.

I'm confused.

I'm not restricting my lifestyle.

I get pain sometimes, but nothing that requires a lifestyle change.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

I think many of you are resigning yourselves to unnecessary pain and/or unnecessary lifestyle restrictions!

From rereading my posts I can't see how your post is relevant to me...

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a shoulder that bothers me from time to time due to a bicycle accident, and my right knee also has a recurring injury (also due to a bicycle accident).

When my shoulder acts up I have to back off on the chin-ups and pull-Ups until it sorts itself out again. I've been lucky so far in that it usually winds going away on its own. In the meantime isometric seem to help. Just a theory but I think it's important to keep blood flowing to the injured body part so changing over to low impact exercises, especially ones where you have a lot of control as with isometrics, is probably better than giving it a complete rest.

My knee problem is a bit more chronic. I can't do squats now or any heavy resistance exercises while standing.

My way around that is to do whatever I can while sitting down, or do the exercises one handed and use my other hand to take some of the weight off of my injured leg.

For instance: if I'm doing curls with my right hand I'll use my left hand to brace myself on something around hip height or a little higher.

I'm trying to put together something right now. Ever since I had Yudhi, my right hip rotates forward, and its very painful. I visit the chiropractor sometimes, and it helps, but it often slips out of place again. I'm compiling some different exercises, and am going to ask him which he recommends(I need to get in ASAP).

I know just going to PT would be the best in this case, but I can't find babysitters as frequently as I'd need them to engage in PT again.
I wonder if there's such a thing as tella-PT, like over Zoom?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I've been to multiple doctors who have conducted multiple tests to diagnose the causes of the pain and recommended avoiding certain exercises and activities (e.g., carrying anything heavy).

I don't see how your post is related to what I've said in this thread, especially since I also haven't posted many details about my lifestyle.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
When my shoulder acts up I have to back off on the chin-ups and pull-Ups until it sorts itself out again. I've been lucky so far in that it usually winds going away on its own. In the meantime isometric seem to help. Just a theory but I think it's important to keep blood flowing to the injured body part so changing over to low impact exercises, especially ones where you have a lot of control as with isometrics, is probably better than giving it a complete rest.
I would agree... I don't know much, but I noticed keeping blood flowing well to an injured area matters quite a bit.
I wonder if there's such a thing as tella-PT, like over Zoom?
Probably, but likely not affordable.

I figured the best way to help the sore hip was to fall down the stairs. My butt was black and blue, but it knocked my hip back into place.

Sadly, its coming back out of place again, but I know what to do now...

Though I'm finding flexibility exercises are keeping it from bothering too much.

I created a new exercise yesterday for the legs and lower body. I have Ares lay on my feet, and I lift him up in the air. Keeps him occupied, and its a good 'press' exercise.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I figured the best way to help the sore hip was to fall down the stairs. My butt was black and blue, but it knocked my hip back into place.

Sadly, its coming back out of place again, but I know what to do now
I admire your ingenuity and determination, but I'm guessing this method might be a bit unreliable as far as results go. :D

icehorse

Premium Member
I've been to multiple doctors who have conducted multiple tests to diagnose the causes of the pain and recommended avoiding certain exercises and activities (e.g., carrying anything heavy).

I don't see how your post is related to what I've said in this thread, especially since I also haven't posted many details about my lifestyle.

I would say print out my post #26 and bring it to these doctors. And if they disagree I would say, respectfully, find new doctors. From what you've said, your doctors have not kept current with leading edge pain science.

When I mentioned lifestyle I was specifically referring to restricting your physical activities because of pain.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Well...a bit to cover in response to this.

My soreness is related to substantial acute traumas that have occurred over many years.
Specifically, I've torn ligaments in both ankles (all of them at different times) something like...40 or 50 times? I'm not counting micro tears or 'sprains' in that.

I've been able to use various means of avoiding pretty invasive surgery first recommended to me 25 years ago. Mostly because the particular cause of the injuries is an activity I continue partaking in, and it seems ridiculous to surgically repair my ankle ligaments, at great inconvenience, to then return to the court and re injure them. I have very limited time left playing (I'm 49, still playing at a decent competitive level).

I've spent a LOT of time researching footwear, ankle strapping, bracing and more. A lot of common beliefs are not actually scientifically supported (eg. High tops don't help protect you from ankle rolls in any general sense) but also there are weird things that do impact (high tops can change how your body perceives foot imbalance because the shoe lip makes contact higher up the leg, potentially clear if previous damage, etc).

Ultimately, with my ankles, the issue is that my ligaments are now basically incapable of supporting the ankle as effectively as they need to given the very high level of stress I put through them playing basketball. My Achilles have kindly stepped in, and help to support the ankle...which is not their intended function. A poor choice of footwear (ironically) also left me with a level of physical impingement on the tendon itself. I've changed to lower cut shoes, reduced the number of games I play per week, and added some more ankle specific movement exercises to my physio routines (some simple stuff I've done since having some micro tears issues in my meniscus due to...umm...basketball...ahem...)

End of the day, the single most effective thing I could do to reduce stress and pain in my ankles is quit basketball. Or lose 5 kg. Or both.

My ankles don't stop me doing anything. Which might not actually be very smart!!

Last edited:

icehorse

Premium Member
Well...a bit to cover in response to this.

My soreness is related to substantial acute traumas that have occurred over many years.
Specifically, I've torn ligaments in both ankles (all of them at different times) something like...40 or 50 times? I'm not counting micro tears or 'sprains' in that.

I've been able to use various means of avoiding pretty invasive surgery first recommended to me 25 years ago. Mostly because the particular cause of the injuries is an activity I continue partaking in, and it seems ridiculous to surgically repair my ankle ligaments, at great inconvenience, to then return to the court and re injure them. I have very limited time left playing (I'm 49, still playing at a decent competitive level).

I've spent a LOT of time researching footwear, ankle strapping, bracing and more. A lot of common beliefs are not actually scientifically supported (eg. High tops don't help protect you from ankle rolls in any general sense) but also there are weird things that do impact (high tops can change how your body perceives foot imbalance because the shoe lip makes contact higher up the leg, potentially clear if previous damage, etc).

Ultimately, with my ankles, the issue is that my ligaments are now basically incapable of supporting the ankle as effectively as they need to given the very high level of stress I put through them playing basketball. My Achilles have kindly stepped in, and help to support the ankle...which is not their intended function. A poor choice of footwear (ironically) also left me with a level of physical impingement on the tendon itself. I've changed to lower cut shoes, reduced the number of games I play per week, and added some more ankle specific movement exercises to my physio routines (some simple stuff I've done since having some micro tears issues in my meniscus due to...umm...basketball...ahem...)

End of the day, the single most effective thing I could do to reduce stress and pain in my ankles is quit basketball. Or lose 5 kg. Or both.

My ankles don't stop me doing anything. Which might not actually be very smart!!
I suspect you can fix this... with the right PT. But a lot of PTs haven't kept up with leading edge pain science, so you have to find one that has.

In addition to what I said in my big post above, I'd add a few ideas:

1 - This sounds like it could be a repetitive motion issue... could be.
2 - It also sounds like you need more mobility (not flexibility), throughout your system. It could be that a lack of mobility in other parts of your body could be causing your ankles to try to compensate.
3 - It also sounds like you need to add a lot of variability and perturbations to your strengthening program.

So once your current traumas have healed, then you have to alter your rehab approach.

Again, a lot of PTs have not kept up. I would say that if your PT doesn't largely agree with what I've said in this thread, that PT hasn't kept up. Find a PT that's kept up.