• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curses

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Namaste,

a long while ago I listened to the story of Maharaja Pariksit cursed by a brahmin boy. Yesterday I listened to the story of Jaya and Vijaya being cursed by the four Kumaras, and it was about a curse again. This made me wonder. While I find curses very appealing as dramatic devices, I wondered if anyone here believes that curses are still relevant today? I also asked myself how the Kumaras could curse the gatekeepers of Vaikuntha at all, given that the Kumaras were spiritually elevated? Doesn‘t a curse require feelings of anger or hatred, emotions which should not be present in enlightened beings?

Thanks for your replies.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I too find curses interesting, but of course, I do not believe in any.
The stories of curses shows what should not be done, and such stories guide Hindus in their life.

"The Rishi was observing an oath of silence, which prevented him from even trying to communicate with the King (Pariksit). He remained deep in meditation, as one oblivious to the King's presence. The King was extremely angry. He saw that a dead snake was lying in the grass nearby. He lifted the snake with the corner of his bow, and garlanded the Rishi with this unclean object. After offering this insult, he went his way. Throughout this, the Rishi remained silent, continuing his meditation."

It was the Rishi's son, who became angry when he saw how his father has been insulted and he was the one who cursed King Pariksit.

In case of Jaya and Vijaya, they were besotted with the idea that they were door keepers of Vaikuntha and could admit or refuse any one. This brought on them the curse of Kumaras. They should have been respectful to the visitors.

Moreover, the cursing of Jaya and Vijaya was 'Bhagawadleela'. Had the Kumaras not cursed Jaya and Vijaya, there would not have been Hiranyakashyapa and Hiranyakashipu (the story of Bhakta Prahlad, no Nrisimha Avatara); no Ravana and Kumbhakarna (Rama Avatara); no Shishupala and Dantavakra (Krishna Avatara); and the related stories. Hindu mythology is a kaleidoscope.

Last edited:

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste,

a long while ago I listened to the story of Maharaja Pariksit cursed by a brahmin boy. Yesterday I listened to the story of Jaya and Vijaya being cursed by the four Kumaras, and it was about a curse again. This made me wonder. While I find curses very appealing as dramatic devices, I wondered if anyone here believes that curses are still relevant today? I also asked myself how the Kumaras could curse the gatekeepers of Vaikuntha at all, given that the Kumaras were spiritually elevated? Doesn‘t a curse require feelings of anger or hatred, emotions which should not be present in enlightened beings?

Thanks for your replies.
Namaste Sirona! Jaya and Vijaya were gatekeepers of Sri Vaikuntha but did not reside in Sri Vaikuntha but the entrance to his abode. Knowing this, they were able to be reborn into physical bodies. However they were protected from curses by the grace of the Supreme Narayana. But the chapter of Jaya Vijaya told a great lila of his.

The Kumaras requested entrance to Sri Vaikuntham but out of their arrogance The gatekeepers denied them entrance, seeing them as unfit boys barely reaching the age of 5 and not as the great and pious devotees they really are. This angered the Kumaras, particularly Sanat Kumara, their leader.

Out of eagerness to see the Supreme and desire to chastise the gatekeepers for their arrogance, they cursed them. The gatekeepers feared this because they know that they had commited an offence not only to the Kumaras but also Narayana, who entrusted them to be his servants. When Vishnu appeared, he himself wished for the Kumaras to forgive him for the gatekeepers’ behaviour and approved of their curse. Further in the chapter, it is revealed that the curse was ordained by Vishnu for his exquisite manifestations to appear and combat Jaya and Vijaya’s demonic earthly forms. So the Kumaras’ anger was fated to happen.

Anger can arise from many things by anyone, even the Kumaras. I believe powerful individuals can bestow boons and curses. Anger can arise for many different reasons, be it Narayana’s lilas, karma from a past life, or simply uncontrolled anger.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Boons and curses can be seen as two different things: one beneficial, good, and the other detrimental, bad.

If you take a step back tho, you realise those two things are only different in appearance: they are the same!

When there is a need for change, for growth, to tip the balance a bit, for an important action to happen or a conflict to be résolve, an action is Taken. Boons and curses are this action. In the end, they are all beneficial: there is no reward or punishment, only action. Only motion. It all brings to what is intended, and we see them through the scope of pleasure or suffering because we are still bound enough not to see the intent behind.

Sri Visnu is playful with that ;p Same with Sri Ganesha whenever he places an obstacle on our way. We don't call it a curse, do we ? Rather an opportunity...

This is where the concept of surrendering is important, I think :eek:

But what do I know :shrug:

Aum Namah Shivaya

jien57908

Curses can be taken as the reward of bad actions and any injustice happened with the innocent human. We all have to pay here what we did in our past intentionally or unintentionally.