1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curse of the Goddess....?

Discussion in 'Goddess Spirituality and Worship DIR' started by Kcnorwood, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Kcnorwood

Kcnorwood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +91
  2. MaddLlama

MaddLlama Obstructor of justice

Ratings:
    +771
    I have never heard of this either. However, in looking for some info on it, it appears that it's from a document called "The Old Laws" from the original Gardenarian Book of Shadows. Gardener claimed that these were the laws from the unbroken line of practicing witches, but it's more likely, from the strange archaic language that it was written by Gardener himself.

This article, though, really demonstrates the problem with Wikipedia. Yes, the Old Laws document does say that, however this document was never made into official "wiccan law". Apparently there was some fighting over it's authenticity between him and Valentine, and even after they had gone their seperate ways the Gardenarian tradition never really accepted the laws as authentic either.

http://www.newwiccanchurch.net/articles/ggowol.htm
    That has an excellent analysis of the situation.

3. Feathers in Hair

Feathers in Hair World's Tallest Hobbit

Ratings:
    +1,796
    Looks like something that's specific to a particular sub-section of the faith. I haven't heard it before, either, and the surrounding text makes it seem particularly antiquated.

4. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +18,535
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Never heard of it before. I think it's abit odd how it mentions "the hell of the CHristians."

5. Gentoo

Gentoo The Feisty Penguin

Ratings:
    +1,129
    I've heard of it, from what I gather it's like being excommunicated. But also, I think it's mainly in the Garnerian Tradition, I haven't seen it in the other traditions I've researched.

6. Comet

Comet Harvey Wallbanger

Ratings:
    +424
    Hmm... I have not heard of the "Curse of the Goddess" in these terms before.... nor have I read the Book Of Shadows that it speaks of. Then again, I'm not a Wiccan. Perhaps I cannot speak of this then, but I will tell you what it means to my "ecclectic" faith:

The Curse of the Goddess is a blessing as well, a double-edged sword. When one commits themselves to one Goddess (or aspect of the Goddess), they are rewarded with some of the Divine Powers thereof; yet, neglected of that which those things can bring. It is to serve a purpose without the pleasure of doing so.

Say one should swear by the Moon Goddess... they could have the wisdom of Nokomis to share insights that another may understand and be better, but never will they quench their search of knowledge.... they will never find in this life that which they seek, though they will bring this to others. They could have the unconditional love of Selene, but never shall they the love in partnership of another. They can teach others to love this way (even to love that which teaches), but it shall always be found in another.... never the one who swears by such things. It is a way of life, a curse and a blessing.

Sorry if that got off topic, but that is the only time I've heard of such a thing.

7. Radio Frequency X

Radio Frequency X World Leader Pretend

Ratings:
    +223
    True, and it doesn't seem to appear in hardly any other pagan traditions. Gods and Goddesses, historically, have tended to bring wrath down upon cities, not individuals. In this case, the curse of the Goddess appears to be strictly Gardnerian and a product of his own invention.

8. GreatBigSnake

GreatBigSnake New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've never heard of this before; I don't think the Goddess would curse anyone....

9. Functionless

Functionless Nothing

Ratings:
    +15
    Don't take wikipedia as a good source for this.

10. Willamena

Willamena Just me
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,380
    Religion:
    Mystics
    #10 Willamena, Jun 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2009