• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Curriculum Bill. . .Would Allow Missouri Schools To Teach LGBTQ History"

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Nope. They were called the three Rs, reading, writing (since it's pronounced with an r) and 'rithmatic.
Yeah but that’s kind of cheating, isn’t it?
It’s not technically three things starting with “R.”
Such an improper way of teaching the young children about the English language and the way the letter R is supposed to work, really.

In case it wasn’t abundantly clear to anyone, since the topic is about the importance of education, I thought I’d elaborate and just say.
I’m just taking the ****. Which is Australianese for being a sarcastic twat.

epronovost

Nope. They were called the three Rs, reading, writing (since it's pronounced with an r) and 'rithmatic.

So basically it's a "r" that's written and pronounced, a "r" that's only pronounced and an imaginary "r" that's not written but pronounced because school isn't teaching proper enunciation? Am I the only one who sees some delivious irony in the three "r" of basic education relying on butchered english to make sense?

PS: the third "r" actually stands for reckoning which is basically an old term to describe mental arithmetic.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Am I the only one who sees some delivious irony in the three "r" of basic education relying on butchered english to make sense?
To be fair, it’s a good beginners illustration of just how drunk the English language is.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Yeah but that’s kind of cheating, isn’t it?
It’s not technically three things starting with “R.”
Such an improper way of teaching the young children about the English language and the way the letter R is supposed to work, really.

In case it wasn’t abundantly clear to anyone, since the topic is about the importance of education, I thought I’d elaborate and just say.
I’m just taking the ****. Which is Australianese for being a sarcastic twat.
I read an article a while back that linked to a reference of a Sir W.C. who used it as a toast at a school dinner back in the 1800's

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
So basically it's a "r" that's written and pronounced, a "r" that's only pronounced and an imaginary "r" that's not written but pronounced because school isn't teaching proper enunciation? Am I the only one who sees some delivious irony in the three "r" of basic education relying on butchered english to make sense?

PS: the third "r" actually stands for reckoning which is basically an old term to describe mental arithmetic.
My understanding it was introduced as a way to poke fun at the lacking education system.
Back in the 1800's

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I read an article a while back that linked to a reference of a Sir W.C. who used it as a toast at a school dinner back in the 1800's
So some posh British bloke got drunk and proposed a toast to the “three Rs” in the 1800s and Americans assumed he was speaking about proper educational values?
No wonder your school system’s so awful :p

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
So some posh British bloke got drunk and proposed a toast to the “three Rs” in the 1800s and Americans assumed he was speaking about proper educational values?
No wonder your school system’s so awful :p
Now there is a leap....

tytlyf

Not Religious
So you would actually lower the quality of U.S. schools even further? Maybe our children will work in sweat shops for a few pennies less than other 3rd world countries to stay competitive.
They do love capitalism and support corporate policy over middle class policy.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
AH.
I never was much good with Poe's Law
Sorry mate. I did put a silly face emoji to try to help.
But since I’m Australian it’s best to just assume I’m having a drunken laugh, since that is our default state in life.