• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Current Reading Book Thread

Yerda

Veteran Member
'The Social Contract' By Rousseau. Page or two every now and then.

'Captive State' - George Monbiot. A re-read and a good one. Details corruption/conflicts of interest in British government.

'Criminalocracy, and the Manifesto for a Newer World Order' was written by a fellow from Birmingham, England I talk to online now and again, Robin Clarke. It's quite interesting and offers methods of revamping democracy to more suit the people.

'The Republic' - Plato. I'm not really reading, more flicking through, I just enjoy the dialogue and I'll probably never finish it.

I like to read a page of 'The Basics of Selection' by Graham Bell whenever I'm in the college library and have some time to kill. Pity it's a reference book, I guess I should buy it.

I wish I could stick to a single book but I've no concentration span, and I tire easily.

No*s

Captain Obvious
truthseekingsoul said:
'The Republic' - Plato. I'm not really reading, more flicking through, I just enjoy the dialogue and I'll probably never finish it.

Ah, that's too bad. The Republic is a great book :).

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I'm reading Rabbi Hayim Halevy Donin's To Pray as a Jew: A Guide to the Prayer Book and the Synagogue Service.:162:

linwood

The Spirit of Eastern Christendom by Jaroslav Pelikan
&
Practical Casting A Studio reference By Tim McCrieght

Drawing on the Right Side is an excellent book even if you don`t plan to draw anything.

:)

Watcher

The Gunslinger
Lady Lazarus...You have me worried now. I am currently reading Dark Tower 4.
I am also re-reading The Hobbit. Meogi, so funny you should mention Enders Game. I just finished re-reading Enders Game, and then I read the next book, Speaker for the Dead. Now I am on the third Ender book titled Xenocide. Speaker for the dead was awesome. Card is a genius.

cardero

Citizen Mod
STRANGERS IN PARADISE Pocket Book 1

ISBN 1-892597-26-8

Softcover 344 Pages

Collects Strangers In Paradise

Issues Vol. 1 #1-3, Vol. 2 #1-13
strangers.jpg

Katchoo is a beautiful young woman living a quiet life with everything going for her. She’s smart, independent and very much in love with her best friend, Francine. Then Katchoo meets David, a gentle but persistent young man who is determined to win Katchoo’s heart.

Strangers In Paradise is the epic graphic novel series by Terry Moore. SiP has been awarded the National Cartoonists Society Rueben Awards for Best Comiuc Book, the Will Eisner Comic Industry Award for Best Serialized Story and the GLAAD Media Award for Best Comic Book

“What most people don’t know about love,sex and relations with other human beings would fill a book. Stranger In Paradise is that book.”

-Neil Gaimen Sandman, American Gods

At the moment I am reading "The Queen's Conjuror - The Science and Magic of Dr John Dee." It's a really interesting book about the famous alchemist and not written in the way some biographies are. Plus, when the book talks about meeting demons, casting spells and turning base metals into gold, how could it not be interesting?!
0006552021.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

cardero

Citizen Mod
Title: The Gods Of Eden

Author: William Bramley

Paperback 499 pgs.

ISBN 0-380-71807-3

Gods.jpg

Human history is a seemingly endless succession of bloody conflicts and devastating turmoil. Yet, inexplicably, in the light of astonishing intellectual and technological advancement, Man’s progress has been halted in one crucial area: he still indulges the primitive beast within and makes war upon his neighbors.

As a result of seven years of intensive research, William Bramley has uncovered the sinister thread that links humanity’s darkest events-from the wars of the ancient pharaohs to the assignation of JFK. In this remarkable, shocking and absolutely compelling work, Bramley presents disturbing evidence of an alien presence on Earth-extraterrestrial visitors who have conspired to dominate Humankind through violence and chaos since the beginning of time….a conspiracy that continues to this very day,

Dr. Nosophoros

Excellent, I am glad this thread has been kept alive. It's good to see/hear what others are reading for reccomendations etc. keep it coming. Thanks to all!

SoulTYPE

Reading David Farland's "The Sum of All Men" all about princesses and swords and magic.

I just described Runt.

cardero

Citizen Mod
BLANKETS

592 Pages Softcover

ISBN 1-891830-43-0

Price: $29.99

In this book, Craig Thompson emerges as a young comics master. In the purist narrative form he tells a highly charged personal story, crammed with pain, discovery, hi-jinx, religious conviction and loss….and along comes self loathing. In this story of family and first love, that which goes awry in life, goes well as art. Mr. Thompson is slyly self effacing as he bowls us over with his mix of skills. His expert blending of words and pictures and resonant silences makes for a transcendent kind of story telling that grabs you as you read it and stays with you after you put it down. I’d call that literature-Jules Feiffer

This book was given to me as a gift. I had always been a fan of Craig Thompson when I was introduced to “Goodbye Chunky Rice” which I thought was brilliant literally and artistically. "Blankets" was a great endeavor for the artist because he had spent many years producing it without being commissioned by a publisher which easily qualifies it as a labor of love. Another interesting aspect about this graphic novel was an original music CD entitled Blankets that could be purchased that compliments the tale as well as provide music to a story that has already assaulted enough of my senses.

blankets.jpg

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I'm currently reading The Renegades of Pern by Anne McCaffrey. I decided a while ago to read her Pern series from beginning to end, even though I've read the books separately at some point or another. It's taking me a while to get through the series, because I keep getting distracted by other books. :p Before I started this book, I read Blind Alley by Iris Johansen. I'm hanging out for her new book to come out...with my luck it won't be until the end of the year.

Hope

Princesinha
Finished Wuthering Heights.....it was even better the second time! Heathcliff has got to be the most deliciously evil character ever invented. I then picked up Bridget Jones' Diary, on advice from a friend. I read through that in only a few days. Great mood lifter/antidote to dark, dismal Wuthering Heights. Hilarious, hilarious book. I love the movie, but, honestly, the book is ten times better. I am now starting on Jane Eyre. This too will be a second read....:)

cardero

Citizen Mod
HELLBLAZER Original Sins
trade paperback-softcover
DC/ Vertigo
ISBN 1-56389-052-6
Price: $19.95

Everybody’s favorite British anti-hero receives his own comic series. HELLBLAZER chronicles the occult mishaps of John Constatine, a self proclaimed 35 year old hardboiled psychic detective who drinks and smokes to much. Created by Alan Moore from the critically acclaimed Swamp Thing series, DC’s controversial Vertigo line of books has turned the writing chores over to James Delano and artist John Ridgeway. The trade paperback collects the first 9 issues of HELLBLAZER and we are treated to such evil atrocities as obsessive inducing locusts, yuppie demons and the war between heaven and hell. HELLBLAZER is truly character driven from his self serving personality to his interesting supporting cast. You do not know whether to root for Constatine or wish something would put him out of his misery. It is this tight rope act that keeps me reading further. Highly recommended.

hellblazer.jpg

Doc

Space Chief
I am reading the Koran even though I be Christian. My devout Catholic grandma watched me suspiciously as I read it at Christmas time. I am still on the first chapter about 40 pages or so into it. The Koran is a very fascinating book to read. I am so obsessed with learning of religions that I decided to start with Islam. I have a deep reverence for all religions and I am always intrigued to learn about them. I have learned about them mostly on my own for I was disappointed when we learned of them in school.
Ex.
Buddhism- based on the teachings of Buddha, did not teach a particular deity, Eastern Religion
We learned nothing of Islam and then we discussed that Hindus have the Vedas as holy scriptures. So I have discovered religion on my own.

cardero

Citizen Mod
MEET THE RESIDENTS

Softcover- 189 Pages

Price: $16.95

ISBN 0-946719-12-8

With titles like Third Reich And Roll and Duck Stab The Residents’ records are some of the strangest and most uncompromising ever made, in part discordant and disturbing, but also humorous and addictive. Quick to maximize on their growing mystique, they have kept their individual identities a closely guarded secret and have created their own weird universe at the forefront of technology.

residents.jpg

cardero

Citizen Mod
MAN, MYTH & MAGIC

An Illustrated Encyclopedia Of The Supernatural

24 Volume Set (each book approx. 156 pages)

This was a nice set that I found on ebay in great condition that just came in. Since I have a fond interest in all three (man, myth and magic) I couldn’t help but notice that it covers everything from Aberdeen Witches all the way up to Zurvan. I figure these books will keep me busy for awhile.

mmm.jpg