• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Current Contemplations

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
That's excellent news, that's all you could ever ask for, most definitely.
What's on your reading list?

A lot of general knowledge books - The Nine Questions People ask about Judaism, The Complete Book Jewish Observances, Judaism - The Eternal Covenant, plus quite a few more.
Books on Jewish history, thoughts, and experiences - Night, This Is My God, A History of the Jewish Experience.
And, of course, references and texts.

I'm looking forward to the reading. :D

Zeroa

Dances With Mice
What are you currently thinking about or trying to dissect as you progress on your spiritual quest? Are you stuck on any one thing in particular? I seem to be stuck in general. :p

Fear has been my major sticking point. One of my resolutions for 2010 was to embrace adventure, so I think I will just step over the fear speed bump and get on with it soon.

I am really leaning toward Hinduism. I wish I had some deep, intellectual reasons for that, but it fits well with what I already believe and I have an irrational, deep love of Shiva. There are some temples within driving distance, so I want to embrace the adventure and go check those out.

Tarheeler said:
A lot of general knowledge books - The Nine Questions People ask about Judaism, The Complete Book Jewish Observances, Judaism - The Eternal Covenant, plus quite a few more.
Books on Jewish history, thoughts, and experiences - Night, This Is My God, A History of the Jewish Experience.

It's very cool and exciting that you're starting down this new path. I think I'd enjoy that reading too. I am a religion junkie. I can never learn to much about what other people do and believe.

Last edited:

Dena

What are you currently thinking about or trying to dissect as you progress on your spiritual quest? Are you stuck on any one thing in particular? I seem to be stuck in general. :p

1. Am I overly optimistic to think a Godly force resides within everything in the universe?

2. Do I want to convert to Judaism through the Reform movement or go with my initial instinct and convert with a Conservative Rabbi?

3. Why did I feel like backing out when life took another turn and I facing Motherhood? Wacky hormones I know but those come and go, being Jewish is forever (Unfortunately, I'm no longer pregnant). How do I deal with that the next time it comes around? Will it be the same or was that just a one time deal? I need to fine someone to discuss this with me but somehow I'm not so sure the male Rabbi will suffice. There is a new female Rabbi at the Reform Synagogue where I have attended though and I plan to meet with her soon.

So...that's about it I guess.

Dena

I think Your People, My People: Finding Acceptance and Fulfillment as a Jew by Choice by Lena Romanoff is pretty good. It targets those who are married to Jews but it has good stuff for the rest of us too.

I also liked The Wisdom of Judaism: An Introduction to the Values of the Talmud. It's just a short, simple overview of a few of the values found in Talmud. It's an easy read.

The Idiots Guide to Talmud isn't too bad either for those who are new to Talmud.

Conversion to Judaism and Questions and Answers on Conversion to Judaism by Epstein are helpful. You may not want to read both as I saw many similarities. They are pretty simplified but I thought he had some good tidbits on things like Jewish identity, etc.

I also liked Embracing the Covenant by Rabbi Berkowitz

Prayerfully Yours by Dr. Avraham Twerksi is the book that set me out on this path. I really like Dr. Twerski and plan to read more of his books when I can find them (I try to get what I can at the library)

The Jewish Book of Why by Alfred Kolatch includes things I never read in many of the basic Jewish intro books. Some things were just plain odd and I'm not really sure I needed to know. But there was some interesting background information. I have no read the second book.

I have read some others but these are some that stood out to me. I have about 50 more on my Wishlist. Yesterday I bought The Guide for the Perplexed but I think it's of those things that will take me a LONG time to read.

I've only gotten through the very beginning of God in Search of Man (Abraham Joshua Heschel) and The War Against the Jews (Lucy Dawidowicz) but I think both have value. I know that even just the first few chapters of The War Against the Jews gave me a background of Germany I hadn't known about. I would say for me it's a bit different to read (it's wordy and contains a good deal of German words) but it's important.

Do you blog or keep a journal? I think it's a great idea for those who are on the path to conversion to keep a written record of what they are thinking, feeling and doing. It's good not only for you but for those who come after you. Many of the books and blogs out there are written by Converts were who married to Jews. You are in a different position where your wife is not Jewish nor does she want to convert. You may have insights that are helpful to others in the future. You also have children who are older but not old enough to be out on their own. That adds another dynamic that may be of interest to other potential converts. I also find it can help sort out your thoughts a bit. Anyway, it's just an idea.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I think Your People, My People: Finding Acceptance and Fulfillment as a Jew by Choice by Lena Romanoff is pretty good. It targets those who are married to Jews but it has good stuff for the rest of us too.

I also liked The Wisdom of Judaism: An Introduction to the Values of the Talmud. It's just a short, simple overview of a few of the values found in Talmud. It's an easy read.

The Idiots Guide to Talmud isn't too bad either for those who are new to Talmud.

Conversion to Judaism and Questions and Answers on Conversion to Judaism by Epstein are helpful. You may not want to read both as I saw many similarities. They are pretty simplified but I thought he had some good tidbits on things like Jewish identity, etc.

I also liked Embracing the Covenant by Rabbi Berkowitz

Prayerfully Yours by Dr. Avraham Twerksi is the book that set me out on this path. I really like Dr. Twerski and plan to read more of his books when I can find them (I try to get what I can at the library)

The Jewish Book of Why by Alfred Kolatch includes things I never read in many of the basic Jewish intro books. Some things were just plain odd and I'm not really sure I needed to know. But there was some interesting background information. I have no read the second book.

I have read some others but these are some that stood out to me. I have about 50 more on my Wishlist. Yesterday I bought The Guide for the Perplexed but I think it's of those things that will take me a LONG time to read.

I've only gotten through the very beginning of God in Search of Man (Abraham Joshua Heschel) and The War Against the Jews (Lucy Dawidowicz) but I think both have value. I know that even just the first few chapters of The War Against the Jews gave me a background of Germany I hadn't known about. I would say for me it's a bit different to read (it's wordy and contains a good deal of German words) but it's important.

Do you blog or keep a journal? I think it's a great idea for those who are on the path to conversion to keep a written record of what they are thinking, feeling and doing. It's good not only for you but for those who come after you. Many of the books and blogs out there are written by Converts were who married to Jews. You are in a different position where your wife is not Jewish nor does she want to convert. You may have insights that are helpful to others in the future. You also have children who are older but not old enough to be out on their own. That adds another dynamic that may be of interest to other potential converts. I also find it can help sort out your thoughts a bit. Anyway, it's just an idea.

Thanks for those titles! Several of them are already on my wish-list, and I'll check out the others.

Never really thought about keeping a journal, I'll give it some thought. It does sound like a good idea.