• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curling, a true sport or not?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Hmm . . .

Objectives of the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC)

As a National Olympic Committee constituted in accordance with the Olympic Charter and the ideals of Olympism, the JOC aims to contribute to the promotion of sport by supporting the Olympic Movement, which serves the cause of preserving world peace and developing international goodwill through sport, and by developing and strengthening athletes in Japan.
(From the statutes of the JOC)

Perhaps, but not caring so much about what isn't included, I found some of what is included to be more interesting. .

The best criteria for any game to be included might be that a significant number of countries follows the particular game.?

I like watching the curling, archery, clay-shooting, etc...... and would be sad if a bunch of get-physical extremists did away with these.

If a particular country wants to focus only on the physical activities like Japan, let 'em, but I thought that the Japanese were dead keen on archery?

I would like international bowls to be included as well, because games and sports should be for all, and your ideas could be construed as discriminating against Age, Disability etc?

suncowiam

While I enjoy "esports", I wouldn't go that far.

Esports competitors actually spend the same amount time if not more training in their competitions. It's a very competitive field.

Although many esports competitors might not be physically astute, they will beat most other competitors in hand eye coordination, reflexes, and instinctive decision making.

I followed an Overwatch competitor, Seagull, for some time on his Twitch Channel. He would play public sessions with commentary on his actions. It was astounding the amount of detail behind all his actions. My decisions in a 3D game are based on simply pointing and clicking most of the time. He detailed the physics behind each character, the probability of his shots at distance, the damage output versus input, then backed it all up with his high precision and quick reflexes.

I follow many typical physical sports but I would definitely make a case for these mental sports like esports.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Esports competitors actually spend the same amount time if not more training in their competitions. It's a very competitive field.

Although many esports competitors might not be physically astute, they will beat most other competitors in hand eye coordination, reflexes, and instinctive decision making.

I followed an Overwatch competitor, Seagull, for some time on his Twitch Channel. He would play public sessions with commentary on his actions. It was astounding the amount of detail behind all his actions. My decisions in a 3D game are based on simply pointing and clicking most of the time. He detailed the physics behind each character, the probability of his shots at distance, the damage output versus input, then backed it all up with his high precision and quick reflexes.

I follow many typical physical sports but I would definitely make a case for these mental sports like esports.

I'm not knocking esports. I enjoying watching it myself occasionally (CS:GO, primarily). I know a lot of skill and strategy go into it, but I wouldn't consider it a "real" sport. Poker, chess, billiards, etc. also take a lot skill and strategy, too, and those games also have serious followings and professional competitions, but I wouldn't call those sports, either. I'm not saying that in a demeaning way. I just don't think it's the right term.

suncowiam

I'm not knocking esports. I enjoying watching it myself occasionally (CS:GO, primarily). I know a lot of skill and strategy go into it, but I wouldn't consider it a "real" sport. Poker, chess, billiards, etc. also take a lot skill and strategy, too, and those games also have serious followings and professional competitions, but I wouldn't call those sports, either. I'm not saying that in a demeaning way. I just don't think it's the right term.

That's a good point. We should probably define sport first in order to categorize other things as sport.

I just sport as measurement of competitiveness and how systematic and committed one has to be in order to be better at it.