• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curling, a true sport or not?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Synchronized beer ice running?

BeerRace.gif

Shad

Veteran Member
Watching an Olympic promo the other day on curling got me thinking about its inclusion in the Olympics.

Correct me if I'm wrong---and I know someone will---but my impression of an Olympic sport, or any "sport" for that matter, is that it should entail some kind of exceptional physical exertion or at least exertion requiring some kind physical fitness. I looked at the list of all the sports included in both the summer and winter Olympics, and really have to question the following four.

Archery: one stands motionless while drawing back on a bow string. An obese couch potato could qualify just as well as one in prime physical condition.

Shooting: same can be said for this sucker.

Curling:
well, at least some of the participants move, although I wouldn't call sweeping ice with a broom particularly exerting,. . . . .and it isn't.

Golf: In as much as everyone is driven around in golf carts the only exertion is swinging a golf club now and then, something even my mother can do, and she's not in any kind of athletic shape.​

Thing is, if these "sports" can be included then why not the sport of pool, or the sport of bowling, or the sport of darts?

As Canada is one of the top teams year after year I am invoking Hoser Special Privilege (TM) to declare it is a sport. My ruling is subject to review, namely when Canada isn't doing as well as it has in the past.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Curling can be dangerous.....

Compare that with a safe sport like the snowboard halfpipe.
These sissies wear helmets!

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Yup, and every year thousands and thousands of people do exactly the same thing. Only difference is that their aim is likely not as good.

No doubt you're quite right. The only rules I could find were those for the Special Olympics where they're not allowed except under certain conditions.

Most of the sports millions of people do the same thing only thing is there not as good. Millions of people shoot Bow's both as hunters and in Archery.
I know several people who Ice skate
I know 100's of people who ski
I know several people who snow board.
I know 10's of people who play hockey
I know 100's of people who do Archery. I did it so I know a few, plus I taught cub scouts which teaches and has events and my kids have been in my towns Archery group.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Watching an Olympic promo the other day on curling got me thinking about its inclusion in the Olympics.

Correct me if I'm wrong---and I know someone will---but my impression of an Olympic sport, or any "sport" for that matter, is that it should entail some kind of exceptional physical exertion or at least exertion requiring some kind physical fitness. I looked at the list of all the sports included in both the summer and winter Olympics, and really have to question the following four.

Archery: one stands motionless while drawing back on a bow string. An obese couch potato could qualify just as well as one in prime physical condition.

Shooting: same can be said for this sucker.

Curling:
well, at least some of the participants move, although I wouldn't call sweeping ice with a broom particularly exerting,. . . . .and it isn't.

Golf: In as much as everyone is driven around in golf carts the only exertion is swinging a golf club now and then, something even my mother can do, and she's not in any kind of athletic shape.​

Thing is, if these "sports" can be included then why not the sport of pool, or the sport of bowling, or the sport of darts?

Apparently, bowling is a candidate for the 2020 Olympics.

Skwim

Veteran Member
As Canada is one of the top teams year after year I am invoking Hoser Special Privilege (TM) to declare it is a sport. My ruling is subject to review, namely when Canada isn't doing as well as it has in the past.
You'd make a good Republican down here in the states.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Yes I have, and no it doesn't.

As I already told Revoltingest, the biathlon is a whole different animal. In fact, it's listed as a separate sport.

Hardly. And as far as staying upright, I'd wear curling shoes just like everyone else. :shrug:

This is so sad. As I said, even my mother golfs, and 18 holes no less. I do admit she now uses a golf cart, but it wasn't always the case.​

Look, Skwim, me 'n' Revolting, we were trying to be kind, but at the end of the day your proposal is busted, 'cos they are not called the 'Olympic Athletics and Hard Sports', but the Olympic GAMES.

And so your thread proposal would have worked much better if you had concentrated upon the sports and games which are excluded, really.

I certainly think that Bowls and other games might be considered for the future. You might have some choices yourself? @Revoltingest certainly will be pushing for some oblique Michiganistanian traditional sport, like maybe beaver chucking or something similar?

Correct me if I'm wrong---and I know someone will---but my impression of an Olympic sport, or any "sport" for that matter, is that it should entail some kind of exceptional physical exertion or at least exertion requiring some kind physical fitness.

Back in the ancient Olympics horse racing was the most prestigious event, so even back then there were sports that didn't intrinsically require high levels of exertion or fitness.

I've always though of sport as a competitive activity that requires either physical fitness or physical skill.

Nobody is going to tell me that Bill Werbeniuk wasn't an elite sportsman :D

"In one match, against the British player Nigel Bond, in January 1990, Werbeniuk downed 28 pints of lager and 16 whiskies over the course of 11 frames. (Bond won 10-1.) After the match, Werbeniuk went home and drank a bottle of Scotch to drown his sorrows. "I have got to think seriously if I'm going to bother playing any more," he said a day or two later. "I drank 28 pints of lager and eight double scotches during the day and was only starting to feel comfortable at the table in the final couple of frames. Now I know that I can only play if I'm totally drunk, and that's not fair on me."

Bill Werbeniuk

b13f1a5cebdda325e856a301888ac2eb.jpg

95f10f801233e96972c4f6ae19dfdcf8.jpg

Last edited:

Skwim

Veteran Member
Look, Skwim, me 'n' Revolting, we were trying to be kind, but at the end of the day your proposal is busted, 'cos they are not called the 'Olympic Athletics and Hard Sports', but the Olympic GAMES.
Hmm . . .

Objectives of the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC)

As a National Olympic Committee constituted in accordance with the Olympic Charter and the ideals of Olympism, the JOC aims to contribute to the promotion of sport by supporting the Olympic Movement, which serves the cause of preserving world peace and developing international goodwill through sport, and by developing and strengthening athletes in Japan.
(From the statutes of the JOC)

And so your thread proposal would have worked much better if you had concentrated upon the sports and games which are excluded, really.
Perhaps, but not caring so much about what isn't included, I found some of what is included to be more interesting.