• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Curling, a true sport or not?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Watching an Olympic promo the other day on curling got me thinking about its inclusion in the Olympics.

Correct me if I'm wrong---and I know someone will---but my impression of an Olympic sport, or any "sport" for that matter, is that it should entail some kind of exceptional physical exertion or at least exertion requiring some kind physical fitness. I looked at the list of all the sports included in both the summer and winter Olympics, and really have to question the following four.

Archery: one stands motionless while drawing back on a bow string. An obese couch potato could qualify just as well as one in prime physical condition.

Shooting: same can be said for this sucker.

Curling:
well, at least some of the participants move, although I wouldn't call sweeping ice with a broom particularly exerting,. . . . .and it isn't.

Golf:
In as much as everyone is driven around in golf carts the only exertion is swinging a golf club now and then, something even my mother can do, and she's not in any kind of athletic shape.​

Thing is, if these "sports" can be included then why not the sport of pool, or the sport of bowling, or the sport of darts?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Shooting & archery differ from the others in that conditioning confers a competitive
advantage, especially in the biathlon. In both, a low resting pulse is required.
When I shot competitively, I trained to get my pulse down in the 40s.
I saw something today about one guy in curling....he was forced to slim down
in order to be allowed to compete. Old & chubby presents a bad image.
But yes, the sports you list aren't high fitness sports like cross country
skiing or speed skating.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Watching an Olympic promo the other day on curling got me thinking about its inclusion in the Olympics.

Correct me if I'm wrong---and I know someone will---but my impression of an Olympic sport, or any "sport" for that matter, is that it should entail some kind of exceptional physical exertion or at least exertion requiring some kind physical fitness. I looked at the list of all the sports included in both the summer and winter Olympics, and really have to question the following four.

Archery: one stands motionless while drawing back on a bow string. An obese couch potato could qualify just as well as one in prime physical condition.

Curling:
well, at least some of the participants move, although I wouldn't call sweeping ice with a broom particularly exerting,. . . . .and it isn't.

Golf: In as much as everyone is driven around in golf carts the only exertion is swinging a golf club now and then, something even my mother can do, and she's not in any kind of athletic shape.​

Thing is, if these "sports" can be included then why not the sport of pool, or the sport of bowling, or the sport of darts?

Archery requires upper body strength even with compound bow's you are pulling back 45 lbs. You need to keep that still to fire accurately.

Golf its my understanding that carts aren't allowed for any majors or the Olympics so you have to walk 18 holes not much exertion but a little more.

There trying to get Pool recognized and have been for several years.
From the Billiard Forum.
Today's reality, however, is that for Billiards at the Olympic level, the World Confederation of Billiard Sports (WCBS) now represent all games under the cue sports umbrella that are being pushed for inclusion in the Olympics. In 1998, billiards was recognized by the IOC as an "international sports federation". Experts say, and agree, that this is the first step to getting billiards in the Olympic games. This organization is now campaigning for inclusion in either the 2012 Olympics, having been unsuccessful with getting cue sports into the 2008 Olympic Games.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

OK.......................
Have you tried it? It takes every nerve, sinew and muscle in control to shoot the bow well.
And it is possible for variously disabled folks to compete at world-class levels.
Shooting is massively physical, and of course one of the most extremely physical Olympic competitions is the Bi-Athlon. A Four-star sport requiring strength, stamina, speed and suppleness.
Curling: well, at least some of the participants move, although I wouldn't call sweeping ice with a broom particularly exerting,. . . . .and it isn't.
You'd be nackered after one sweep, if you could stay upright for the whole course! :D
Golf: In as much as everyone is driven around in golf carts the only exertion is swinging a golf club now and then, something even my mother can do, and she's not in any kind of athletic shape.
How far is one Olympic hole? A few hundred yards, and requiring strength, suppleness and speed of limbs.​

.[/QUOTE]

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Archery requires upper body strength even with compound bow's you are pulling back 45 lbs. You need to keep that still to fire accurately.

Golf its my understanding that carts aren't allowed for any majors or the Olympics so you have to walk 18 holes not much exertion but a little more.

There trying to get Pool recognized and have been for several years.
From the Billiard Forum.
Today's reality, however, is that for Billiards at the Olympic level, the World Confederation of Billiard Sports (WCBS) now represent all games under the cue sports umbrella that are being pushed for inclusion in the Olympics. In 1998, billiards was recognized by the IOC as an "international sports federation". Experts say, and agree, that this is the first step to getting billiards in the Olympic games. This organization is now campaigning for inclusion in either the 2012 Olympics, having been unsuccessful with getting cue sports into the 2008 Olympic Games.
sleeping-face_1f634.png

Skwim

Veteran Member
Shooting & archery differ from the others in that conditioning confers a competitive
advantage, especially in the biathlon. In both, a low resting pulse is required.
The biathlon is a whole different animal. I was referring to shooting events such as:

10m air pistol men
10m air rifle men
25m rapid fire pistol men
50m pistol men
50m rifle 3 positions men
50m rifle prone men
double trap men
skeet men
trap men

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The biathlon is a whole different animal. I was referring to shooting events such as:

10m air pistol men
10m air rifle men
25m rapid fire pistol men
50m pistol men
50m rifle 3 positions men
50m rifle prone men
double trap men
skeet men
trap men

And don't forget the bobsled, luge, & skeleton.
Clearly some sports are more about skill than physical fitness.
Consider Olympic weightlifting v power lifting.
The former stresses skill more than the latter, which stresses sheer strength.
And then you have World's Strongest Man, which mixes skill, strength & endurance.
They all have their place.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Curling:

Golf:
In as much as everyone is driven around in golf carts the only exertion is swinging a golf club now and then, something even my mother can do, and she's not in any kind of athletic shape.​

Have to agree with you on this one. Never understood the validity of some of the "sports" (don't you dare touch that beach volleyball, though). It's like in my neck of the woods when folks try to tell me NASCAR drivers are "athletes".

Skwim

Veteran Member
Yup, and every year thousands and thousands of people do exactly the same thing. Only difference is that their aim is likely not as good.

No doubt you're quite right. The only rules I could find were those for the Special Olympics where they're not allowed except under certain conditions.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Former recreational curler here ... I suggest you watch the sweepers when the skip throws it slower than expected. Those guys are in real shape. Take a look at Ben Hebert sweeping next time Koe is on. Besides that brute strength, there is balance, precision aiming, and precision touch. So yes it's definitely a sport at that level. Is golf a sport?